The Student Room Group

STEM vs non-STEM salaries

Given that one of the often cited advantages of STEM degrees are their higher salaries, why is the graduate salary data of many STEM and non-STEM degrees similar? For example, Discover Uni states the average salaries of English pure Chemistry graduates is £25k (one year) £25.5k (3 years) and £30.5k (5 years) while Politics graduates earn on average £25k (one year) £25.5k (3 years) and £31.5k (5 years)
Because the push to STEM courses by the government and schools is complete guff
Reply 2
Not sure where the data was from since I can’t find it on the Discover Uni website, but STEM graduates do earn more by about 20% according to every other place I could find with info on the subject.

While I would suggest studying a STEM degree based on the information available as they can help you get in the door easier progression depends much more on the person. You have to be ruthless, know what youre doing and know how to play the game to get anywhere in the salary department.
Original post by Djtoodles
Not sure where the data was from since I can’t find it on the Discover Uni website, but STEM graduates do earn more by about 20% according to every other place I could find with info on the subject.

While I would suggest studying a STEM degree based on the information available as they can help you get in the door easier progression depends much more on the person. You have to be ruthless, know what youre doing and know how to play the game to get anywhere in the salary department.

Studies on salary alone often disregard unemployed graduates.

https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/pstorage-leicester-213265548798/18467912/TheemploymenttrajectoriesofSTEMgraduatesFINALREPORTLRAVERSION.pdf Is a comprehensive study of STEM graduate employment and blows away the vast majority of assumptions that schools and the government make about STEM study
Even within STEM, there is a massive variation.
Reply 5
Original post by PQ
Studies on salary alone often disregard unemployed graduates.

https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/pstorage-leicester-213265548798/18467912/TheemploymenttrajectoriesofSTEMgraduatesFINALREPORTLRAVERSION.pdf Is a comprehensive study of STEM graduate employment and blows away the vast majority of assumptions that schools and the government make about STEM study

The thing you linked was a deece read. I didn’t look into the salary thing deeper after my initial search for articles but the paper you linked does seem to confirm that STEMgrads have a slightly easier time getting graduate level positions "there is some evidence of a ‘slower start’ among non-STEM graduates in terms of securing graduate-level jobs" with the percentages at 87% and 82% respectively which sounds about right to me. So, I think what I recommend in my other comment still stands, do STEM degree get a job slightly easier and then it becomes all about the person to decide who makes the most money not the degree.
Original post by Djtoodles
The thing you linked was a deece read. I didn’t look into the salary thing deeper after my initial search for articles but the paper you linked does seem to confirm that STEMgrads have a slightly easier time getting graduate level positions "there is some evidence of a ‘slower start’ among non-STEM graduates in terms of securing graduate-level jobs" with the percentages at 87% and 82% respectively which sounds about right to me. So, I think what I recommend in my other comment still stands, do STEM degree get a job slightly easier and then it becomes all about the person to decide who makes the most money not the degree.

All STEM is not equal. The paper shows business and social science grads have better outcomes than biological science grads. And every subject (every single one) has lower unemployment rates than computer science.
Reply 7
Original post by PQ
All STEM is not equal. The paper shows business and social science grads have better outcomes than biological science grads. And every subject (every single one) has lower unemployment rates than computer science.

True, neither is all 'non-STEM' but overall STEM is the slightly better option based on the data. The 5% of STEM graduates who end up in graduate level jobs is statistically significant enough to give it the edge. The 1% swings in the unemployment rate could be just random noise given the relatively small sample size when broken down to that level.
57E6D470-2538-4F39-876B-B1DD0E64D454.jpeg
This isn’t a 1% swing. It’s a 5% gap between CS and engineering grads and a 10% gap between CS and language and history grads.

Disproportionately high unemployment rates in CS graduates are a large and ongoing problem.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending