The Student Room Group

Mid Universities

What are some moderately good unis that an average student can get into after a levels?
Depends what you consider "moderately good" and what an "average student" performance would look like. Also probably on what you want to study.
Reply 2
What are your A level grade expectations.
What subject do you want to study.
Reply 3
Original post by McGinger
What are your A level grade expectations.
What subject do you want to study.

B's and C's honestly I dont have a choice anymore I would be lucky if any "moderately good" uni admits me honestly
Reply 4
Original post by artful_lounger
Depends what you consider "moderately good" and what an "average student" performance would look like. Also probably on what you want to study.

student who gets B's and C's Wanted study STEM subjects but I dont have a choice anymore
Original post by srellasrella
student who gets B's and C's Wanted study STEM subjects but I dont have a choice anymore

Heriot-Watt, maybe Strathclyde, both good for STEM areas generally and not super high requirements (maybe not Bs and Cs level though?). Foundation years potentially are a route in.

Depending on what you want to study and what subjects you're getting Cs in though you may want to consider whether it's a good option for you or not.

Bear in mind also UK graduates in the long run have equivalent career and salary outcomes whether they study STEM or non-STEM subjects - they have done research on this: https://figshare.le.ac.uk/articles/report/The_employment_trajectories_of_Science_Technology_Engineering_and_Mathematics_graduates/10234421

So if you're not good at and/or don't like studying STEM subjects you are at no disadvantage doing a non-STEM degree...
Reply 6
Which STEM subject(s)? There will be great choices available to you. Look for universities with a good reputation for the course you are interested in. I'm sure that if you let people know which courses you are considering you'll get some great ideas.
Swansea BBB for Chemistry but likely to drop lower on results day.
Aberystwyth BBB-BBC for Physics.

There will be lots of universities asking for ABB who will drop for BBC on results days. Amongst those worth looking into are Swansea, Aberystwyth, Bangor, Reading, Royal Holloway, Sussex, Aston, Keele, Essex, Kent, Lincoln, Leicester.

Lots of places will show higher entry requirements but the truth is nost courses dont get filled every year so universities tend to aceept students with dropped grades on results day. The offer made will be the standard grades though. Look at a couple of ABB or BBB requirements and a couple of lower graded universities. It is difficult to be more specific as STEM is quite wide and needs looking into in more detail.
Reply 8
Good advice from SwanseaJack as always - I'd endorse Sussex and Aber as very good 'middle Uns' that are frequently overlooked, and add Plymouth.

Also, dont forget to look at 'Foundation year' courses - these would lead automatically to the main degree at the same Uni - one example - Swansea - Biochemistry and Genetics with a Foundation Year, BSc (Hons) - Swansea University (CCD - Insurance choice?)
May I suggest that with those grades it might be worth looking at universities abroad... From my own experience I got into Lund university in Sweden with grades CCD to study physical geography. The admission processes for universities outside the UK are usually less focused on grades as opposed to general requirements e.g. "3 A-Levels/L3 equivalent, with one being in the field of mathematics at a passing grade".

You are much more likely to get into a top international university than one within the UK, it's worth considering.
Reply 10
Since a UK applicant applying in the EU would now be treated as an Overseas applicant for fees purposes, they may need serious ££ to undertake what you are suggesting.
Reply 11
Depends on the course. You can get into some mickey mouse courses pretty easily at UCL with BBB,
Original post by McGinger
Since a UK applicant applying in the EU would now be treated as an Overseas applicant for fees purposes, they may need serious ££ to undertake what you are suggesting.

Not in all cases. There are a fair amount of course in e.g. Poland and Norway that charge annual tuition fees lower than that of UK fees for their international applicants.
Reply 13
Original post by SoonToBeExpat
Not in all cases. There are a fair amount of course in e.g. Poland and Norway that charge annual tuition fees lower than that of UK fees for their international applicants.

These would still need serious £££. With no student loans available its a pretty large up front spend once you account for living costs.
There a scholarships available, bank loans might be available (and right now have much lower interest than SFE loans). Living costs, particularly accomodation, is generally lower than the UK. Even in Sweden, my largest expense is food, but accomodation costs is next to nothing (£300/month).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending