The Student Room Group

Leaving Big 4 Grad Scheme to do ACA qualification

Hi everyone, this is my first post. Any advice/opinions would be appreciated.

I started a Big 4 grad scheme in September 2022, coming from non-finance/accounting background. My aim is to become a qualified accountant and hoped that joining a big4 firm would allow that. The firm offered me a place in a department which is not accounting-centric and therefore does not offer the ACA (but instead offers a different qualification which is not accounting specific). Upon asking around, i found out that offers are given out depending on where there is a requirement for resources.

I had not applied elsewhere so accepted the offer, knowing it would allow me to gain invaluable experience from a big4, despite not offering the ACA. I have completed almost 10 months at the firm, and although I like the firm, I know the career it is developing me for, is not one I want. I don’t want to spend 3 years on a grad scheme to feel like I’m back at step one and looking for an entry opportunity to begin qualifying as an accountant. I have spoken to managers at the firm and they have said there’s no real guarantee to have the opportunity to do further study after the 3 year grad scheme (but it could happen).

I have an offer from a top 6/7 firm within Audit for September where I can do the ACA.

I am quite conflicted between: Leaving a big4 firm after 1 year to start my journey of getting qualified (while taking a pay cut) vs staying at the big4 with better pay but not getting qualified as an accountant after 3 years of putting in hard work.

If I was to leave, in 2 years time when I would have finished my grad scheme, I could already have completed 2 out of the 3 years on my new scheme and be part-qualified.

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks
Reply 1
What qualifications are you studying in your current grad scheme and which service line are you in?
Original post by Mxnn7
Hi everyone, this is my first post. Any advice/opinions would be appreciated.

I started a Big 4 grad scheme in September 2022, coming from non-finance/accounting background. My aim is to become a qualified accountant and hoped that joining a big4 firm would allow that. The firm offered me a place in a department which is not accounting-centric and therefore does not offer the ACA (but instead offers a different qualification which is not accounting specific). Upon asking around, i found out that offers are given out depending on where there is a requirement for resources.

I had not applied elsewhere so accepted the offer, knowing it would allow me to gain invaluable experience from a big4, despite not offering the ACA. I have completed almost 10 months at the firm, and although I like the firm, I know the career it is developing me for, is not one I want. I don’t want to spend 3 years on a grad scheme to feel like I’m back at step one and looking for an entry opportunity to begin qualifying as an accountant. I have spoken to managers at the firm and they have said there’s no real guarantee to have the opportunity to do further study after the 3 year grad scheme (but it could happen).

I have an offer from a top 6/7 firm within Audit for September where I can do the ACA.

I am quite conflicted between: Leaving a big4 firm after 1 year to start my journey of getting qualified (while taking a pay cut) vs staying at the big4 with better pay but not getting qualified as an accountant after 3 years of putting in hard work.

If I was to leave, in 2 years time when I would have finished my grad scheme, I could already have completed 2 out of the 3 years on my new scheme and be part-qualified.

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks

Typically, when applying for the graduate scheme, the firm will mention the qualifications that will be undertaken. Generally, IT Audit, Management Consulting and Tax are unlikely to do the ACA program (although depending on the programme, there could be the joint-ACA-CTA programme).

If you are really eager to complete the ACA programme, then it would be best to cut your losses now and complete the ACA programme at another firm. If you were to do it at a later level, there may be issues in getting the required relevant work experience (450 days) and exam leave.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending