The Student Room Group

Big 4 Leaving mid way through training contract

Hi all, I'm currently on an apprenticeship scheme with one of the big 4 and have completed 8/15 of the ACA exams with 3 more years to finish. I find the work mind numbingly boring and kind of want to leave, have some fun then start a new career in a years time. Is this stupid? With no degree will I be able to still have a solid career with the big 4 experience behind me or will I be fu**ed?
How many years have you spent there?
Original post by treesrlife
Hi all, I'm currently on an apprenticeship scheme with one of the big 4 and have completed 8/15 of the ACA exams with 3 more years to finish. I find the work mind numbingly boring and kind of want to leave, have some fun then start a new career in a years time. Is this stupid? With no degree will I be able to still have a solid career with the big 4 experience behind me or will I be fu**ed?

I think it wil look very bad on your CV if you left half way, especially if you want to work in the same area of work similar companies.
It might be ok if u wanted to change careers
Reply 3
Original post by Dnsnnssn
I think it wil look very bad on your CV if you left half way, especially if you want to work in the same area of work similar companies.
It might be ok if u wanted to change careers

yeah definitely want to change career lines to be honest do you then think ok?
yeah definitely want to change career lines to be honest do you then think ok?

Depends on the next company you apply to tbh (and industry), some will look down on it some won't mind as long as you are able to answer questions about it well in an interview. Do u have a plan in what u are going to do after your travels?
Hi, currently work at Deloitte (consulting not audit) so can give you insights. First thing you should do is speak to your People Lead about changing up the work you do, start to go into things you want to work on. If that isn't an option, I know a number of people in the same boat, you should try to finish your exams at the firm or move across the firm. Tax, RA and Consulting will likely give you the interesting work you're looking for.

I know a number of people that did the apprentice scheme in audit then joined the grad scheme in another service line, that is one option. Another one is get seconded onto a project within RA or Consulting, then get a Director to pull you over, they will have that sway. I know a number of people from tax and RA have done this, not sure how it would work for Audit.

Feel free to DM, however be careful of posting on TSR. Better option is Fishbowl and go onto the Deloitte UK bowl if you want to stay anonymous. If it is that bad you can't move laterally and have to leave before finishing the exams, then best use LinkedIn and finding people who have done something similar. I still recommend that you stick with it, get the qualification while at Deloitte and the worlds your oyster...
Reply 6

Have you decided what to do yet??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending