The Student Room Group

on what basis do some books say chlorine is green?

Longman says of halogens, that they have coloured.. vapour.

AQA Hodder says fluorine is yellow, chlorine is green.

Ed Excel.. fluorine yellow, chlorine green

I've seen a video showing fluorine under pressure so liquid, as yellow so no issue there.

But where are those books.. AQA and Ed Excel, getting that Chlorine is green?

Looking here https://www.youtube.com/shorts/GjKTO4QfTMc (assuming that if the gas is said to have a colour then it'd be the same colour as the liquid). It is yellow.

If i knew about how colours mix together then I might guess that maybe there's some green mixed in there changing the tint of the yellow. But really as far as I can tell, it's yellow.

I can't seen specific colours mentioned for fluorine or chlorine mentioned in either AQA or OCR syllabus. (though i suppose recommended books have chlorine as green).
Chlorine gas is a green colour, whereas the solid is yellow - they change colour depending on state
A1500232-Gas_jar_of_chlorine_gas.jpg
Reply 2
Thanks. What about for Fluorine gas?
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by gazbo1
Thanks. What about for Fluorine gas?

Pale yellow - Go onto the periodic videos website and watch the video about fluorine

Periodic table of videos

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Signature
Colourful Solutions IB Chemistry Website
Reply 4
Original post by toothysmile
Chlorine gas is a green colour, whereas the solid is yellow - they change colour depending on state
A1500232-Gas_jar_of_chlorine_gas.jpg

I asked a guy that studies chemistry, about chlorine gas and showed them that picture, he thought that was photoshopped to make a stock image, and said it should be green/yellow

Also I found this video titled "Making chlorine, bromine, and iodine" by "Tommy Technetium"
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/7v7pWGCzNS0

That shows it's yellow and not just looking yellow in the video but the guy doing the experiment, seeing it directly, describes chlorine gas as yellow. The chemist I spoke to said from what he's seen it wouldn't be quite as yellow as in that video but but that that's far more realistic to what he has seen.

Seems maybe that pic of the green chlorine gas is fake though?
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by gazbo1
I asked a guy that studies chemistry, about chlorine gas and showed them that picture, he thought that was photoshopped to make a stock image, and said it should be green/yellow

Also I found this video titled "Making chlorine, bromine, and iodine" by "Tommy Technetium"
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/7v7pWGCzNS0

That shows it's yellow and not just looking yellow in the video but the guy doing the experiment, seeing it directly, describes chlorine gas as yellow. The chemist I spoke to said from what he's seen it wouldn't be quite as yellow as in that video but but that that's far more realistic to what he has seen.

Seems maybe that pic of the green chlorine gas is fake though?

I have made chlorine gas many times.

It may appear yellow when in low concentration, but at high concentration is is green.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Signature
Colourful Solutions IB Chemistry Testing and Notes
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 6
from the "periodic videos" video you mention youtube(dot)com(slash)watch?v=BXCfBl4rmh0 Chlorine - Periodic Table of Videos By Periodic Videos

Is this the colour / high concentration you had in mind

It looks to me like there's a lot more chlorine in the examples in that "periodic videos" flask example(in terms of the percentage of the container that contains chlorine), than in the test tube that is in the earlier post in the thread. So it seems the concentration is higher in the "periodic videos" flask example. But the test tube example(from earlier post in thread) is greener. Why might that be?

Thanks
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by gazbo1
from the "periodic videos" video you mention youtube(dot)com(slash)watch?v=BXCfBl4rmh0 Chlorine - Periodic Table of Videos By Periodic Videos

Is this the colour / high concentration you had in mind

It looks to me like there's a lot more chlorine in the examples in that "periodic videos" flask example(in terms of the percentage of the container that contains chlorine), than in the test tube that is in the earlier post in the thread. So it seems the concentration is higher in the "periodic videos" flask example. But the test tube example(from earlier post in thread) is greener. Why might that be?

Thanks

It just depends on how much chlorine they actually put into the flask!

Like I said, I have filled many a gas jar with chlorine and they are green in colour.

Quick Reply

Latest