The Student Room Group

Mechanics moments in equilibrium

I'll show my working out I'm quite stuck even though I got an answer. My question is why does the answer change depending on pivot point?
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 1
Youve not included the reaction at D? If thats S, balancing vertical would give
R+S = 20+5
and taking moments would giive a second equation to determine both R and S. The point about which you take moments does not influence the values of R and S. However taking moments about C would give S directly and then taking moments about D would the give R.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by mqb2766
R+S = 20+5
and taking moments would giive a second equation to determine both R and S. The point about which you take moments does not influence the values of R and S. However taking moments about C would give S directly and then taking moments about D would the give R.

So I'm wrong then?
I did include D in my diagram.
Reply 3
Original post by mqb2766
R+S = 20+5

I didn't have s that is meant to be a 5
Reply 4
Original post by Mad Man
So I'm wrong then?
I did include D in my diagram.

You included D, but there is no corresponding vertical reaction force in your diagram, so an "S". There must be a verticall reaction force at D, otherwise the bar would rotate clockwise about C. Simply including a physical support is meaningless without the corresponding force acting on the bar.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by mqb2766
You included D, but there is no corresponding vertical reaction force in your diagram, so an "S". There must be a verticall reaction force at D, otherwise the bar would rotate clockwise about C. Simply including a physical support is meaningless without the corresponding force acting on the bar.

Got it. That was a schoolboy error tbh lol

Quick Reply

Latest