The Student Room Group

Physics Optional Module

I am just about to start my new sixth form. I will be taking F. Maths, Maths, Physics, Chemistry. I am hoping to study physics at degree level and was wondering what is the best/ most useful module to take for A-Level Physics. Additionally, what is the hardest module to take. Thanks.
Doesn't really matter as they will just assume the core content from mandatory elements of the A-level Physics course. Also debatably A-level Physics is less relevant than A-level Maths/FM anyway, when it comes to degree level physics (which is more similar to the latter than the former, I think).
Original post by artful_lounger
Doesn't really matter as they will just assume the core content from mandatory elements of the A-level Physics course. Also debatably A-level Physics is less relevant than A-level Maths/FM anyway, when it comes to degree level physics (which is more similar to the latter than the former, I think).

Thank you very much. How big is the jump from A-Level to university? I've heard that the difference between GCSE and A-Level is more intense, is this true?
Original post by eddie_spaghetti
Thank you very much. How big is the jump from A-Level to university? I've heard that the difference between GCSE and A-Level is more intense, is this true?

@Sinnoh can probably answer better than me (as I didn't do A-level Physics, I started on an engineering course that didn't require it then picked up some physics modules along the way at the time) but my impression is in general it's quite different just in the sense that it uses calculus throughout which in some respects makes some of it a bit more straightforward I think honestly? But the maths itself is non-trivial quite frequently - you can get some fairly gnarly integrals at times and just get stuck in a mass of algebra to work through before you can solve it neatly (although equally about half the time that happens it's because you're doing it wrong and you were supposed to use some kind of substitution or identity to simplify things considerably :laugh:).
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by eddie_spaghetti

It'll vary depending on your experience at A-level and the uni you go to.
At the start it's not really a jump, they're not going to assume perfect A-level knowledge. They will start right from the very basics, the point is just to make sure everyone has learned the same things. But they will finish the basics quite quickly.

Quick Reply

Latest