The Student Room Group

What A Level Further Maths Modules are best for Engineering?

Hey guys,

So this year I am doing A Level Maths, Physics, and Further Maths and my school said we are free to pick any modules that we see fit for Further Maths. My teacher recommended that we do Further Mechanics 1 and Further Pure 1 as those are where his strengths lie but I have heard from others who have finished A Levels this Summer and in the year above that Further Mechanics 1 and Decision 1 are a better combination (just in general). But I want to know what you guys would consider the best modules for students who wish to study engineering at university like myself because I have heard that universities favor mechanics and further pure knowledge but what do you guys think?
Reply 1
Original post by LQMN
Hey guys,

So this year I am doing A Level Maths, Physics, and Further Maths and my school said we are free to pick any modules that we see fit for Further Maths. My teacher recommended that we do Further Mechanics 1 and Further Pure 1 as those are where his strengths lie but I have heard from others who have finished A Levels this Summer and in the year above that Further Mechanics 1 and Decision 1 are a better combination (just in general). But I want to know what you guys would consider the best modules for students who wish to study engineering at university like myself because I have heard that universities favor mechanics and further pure knowledge but what do you guys think?

tbh I don't think most unis care that much about which optional modules you do (I'm not even sure I put which options I was taking on UCAS). I guess further mechanics is good because it's sort of like physics? Other than that it's probably just best to pick what you think you'll do well in. I've heard people say decision is easier because it requires more memorisation than actual calculations, but I didn't do it so I can't say if that's true or not. You might find mechanics easier because you do physics, although I know a girl who won gold and got into some second round or something of the physics olympiad, went to study physics at Imperial and still struggled with FM1, so I guess it depends. I did FP1 and FM1 and liked them both. FM1 is nice because it's really short, and FP1 has a few easier topics like t-formulae.
Reply 2
Original post by LQMN
Hey guys,

Do all the mechanics and pure that you can. There is a lot of pure maths in Engineering ...

Edexcel support here: https://www.drfrostmaths.com/courses.php?coid=352
Reply 3
Original post by LQMN
Hey guys,

Pick the modules you think you'll enjoy the most, just because one is meant to be easier isn't a good reason to take it. You're going to be stuck studying it for 2 years, if you don't enjoy it you'll be less inclined to work at it. And the grade boundaries are seperate for each combination anyway so choice of easier/hardest isnt that relevant.

I did FM1&2.
FM1 is pretty boring imo, but as your also doing physics you'll find a lot of it familiar.
FM2 was my favourite FM module, and probably my favourite part of A-levels. You take a lot of the interesting stuff from core pure and apply it to things.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 4
Thank you guys for your advice! I guess I'll just stick to FP1 and FM1 because I have done a bit of D1 in the past but I didn't really enjoy it too much so I hope that FP1 will be a more pleasant experience

Quick Reply

Latest