The Student Room Group

Medicine Application

(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by hestiaskies
Hello I am predicted ABB and I am eligible to apply for an access programme into medicine. As I can only get into one university via the access course does that mean that I cannot apply to any other university for medicine as they all require AAA. Also does anyone know if the access course has lower expectations of the ucat score as they do so for A-Level grades.

Is this at brighton sussex medical school?
Original post by BankaiGintoki
Is this at brighton sussex medical school?

No it is Leeds
(edited 7 months ago)
No it is Leeds

https://www.medicmind.co.uk/medical-schools/university-of-bristol-gateway-to-medicine/
You need a higher UCAT relative to the competition
UCAT scores are used to decide which applicants to invite to interview. Applicants who meet academic criteria are ranked solely according to UCAT score.
Original post by BankaiGintoki
https://www.medicmind.co.uk/medical-schools/university-of-bristol-gateway-to-medicine/
You need a higher UCAT relative to the competition
UCAT scores are used to decide which applicants to invite to interview. Applicants who meet academic criteria are ranked solely according to UCAT score.

Thank you
(edited 7 months ago)
No it is Leeds

Are you on about the gateway year, cause the gateway year isn’t an access course
(edited 7 months ago)
(edited 7 months ago)
No I am referring to the Access to Leeds Programme. I cannot do Gateway as my predicted grades are higher than required. Leeds have said something along the lines of “Applicants who are studying both Chemistry and Biology, who are predicted ABB or greater with the A in Chemistry or Biology and also meet the Widening Participation criteria are not eligible to apply to A101 and should apply via the Access to Leeds route to the A100 course.”

The access to Leeds isn’t necessarily a course. It’s basically a contextual offer. However myself and others included have noticed that it doesn’t really make a difference to your application. Last year I applied with access to Leeds and I even had AAA predicted but still got rejected. Historically Leeds only accept those with full GCSEs and good BMAT so unless you have those Leeds is a risky option. However what I would do if I was you is to aim for a very very high UCAT to have a chance. Ideally 2800+ maybe. What are your GCSEs?
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by B7861
The access to Leeds isn’t necessarily a course. It’s basically a contextual offer. However myself and others included have noticed that it doesn’t really make a difference to your application. Last year I applied with access to Leeds and I even had AAA predicted but still got rejected. Historically Leeds only accept those with full GCSEs and good BMAT so unless you have those Leeds is a risky option. However what I would do if I was you is to aim for a very very high UCAT to have a chance. Ideally 2800+ maybe. What are your GCSEs?

(edited 7 months ago)
Yes my bad it isn’t a course. I heard that the access programme is looking at you as an individual and seeing if you are good enough to study medicine and not actually comparing you to others? I am not sure if that is true. I am worried about the UCAT and I am not very confident. I have achieved a 6, three 7s, five 8s and a 9 - quite average.

well like I said before that I dont think being eligible for access to leeds makes a difference, let leeds say what they want, the hard truth is that historically only those with perfect GCSEs and high BMAT got interview and access to leeds doesnt really make a difference. like I said if you wanna apply to leeds aim for a high UCAT
Original post by B7861
well like I said before that I dont think being eligible for access to leeds makes a difference, let leeds say what they want, the hard truth is that historically only those with perfect GCSEs and high BMAT got interview and access to leeds doesnt really make a difference. like I said if you wanna apply to leeds aim for a high UCAT

Yes thank you very much

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending