The Student Room Group

Fatty acid and mono(glyceride) diffusion over membrane.

Hi, I'm quite confused with the A-level biology specification point. It states that fatty acids and mono(glycerides) pass directly through the membranes of cells lining the ileum. How can this be true when these molecules are polar? Is there something more complex happening here? Or is this just scientifically wrong? What am I missing?
Original post by BENgal232
Hi, I'm quite confused with the A-level biology specification point. It states that fatty acids and mono(glycerides) pass directly through the membranes of cells lining the ileum. How can this be true when these molecules are polar? Is there something more complex happening here? Or is this just scientifically wrong? What am I missing?

You are forgetting that the phospholipid bilayer allows fatty acids and glycerides to pass through - they are soluble through the hydrophobic fatty acid tails.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by BankaiGintoki
You are forgetting that the phospholipid bilayer allows fatty acids and glycerides to pass through - they are soluble through the hydrophobic fatty acid tails.

Ohhhh, yes I feel silly! I thoguht they wouldnt be soluble since they are them, but yes that makes soo much sense. Thankyou!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending