The Student Room Group

Biology a level question - Glycolysis

Hey guys I've just started biology year 2 content and am learning about glycolysis
can anyone give me like an a level answer of the role of NADH as a co-enzyme is glycolysis?
does NADH oxidise triose phosphate (and remove the phosphate molecules leaving 2 phosphate molecules to allow ATP to be reformed?)
Thanks
Original post by Lebkuchen
Hey guys I've just started biology year 2 content and am learning about glycolysis
can anyone give me like an a level answer of the role of NADH as a co-enzyme is glycolysis?
does NADH oxidise triose phosphate (and remove the phosphate molecules leaving 2 phosphate molecules to allow ATP to be reformed?)
Thanks

Glycolysis
Glucose + 2 phosphate (from hydrolysed ATP), to form hexose bisphosphate, which breaks down to 2 triose phosphate. 2 Pi (inorganic phosphate) in the cytoplasm join to each triose phosphate to form triose bisphosphate. Each triose bisphosphate release 2 Pi when NAD accepts a H from each triose bisphosphate.
This forms 2 pyruvate, 4 ATP (4pi + 4ADP -> 4ATP, but since 2 ATP is used at the start, net of 2 ATP), 2 NADH
Pyruvate enters the mitochondria by active transport

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending