The Student Room Group

2023 Biology A level AQA predicted essay

Was just wondering if anyone has tried predicting the Biology A level for AQA's essay for this year? My teacher said sometimes its easy to predict the essay since you can compare it to the topics that haven't come up yet
Reply 1
Original post by nikta
Was just wondering if anyone has tried predicting the Biology A level for AQA's essay for this year? My teacher said sometimes its easy to predict the essay since you can compare it to the topics that haven't come up yet

Nope, but have you found any essay titles that may come up?
Reply 2
i feel like something to do with glucose will come up on it, since you can link it with many topics
Original post by mfcutiecat
i feel like something to do with glucose will come up on it, since you can link it with many topics

Similar feeling but I thought it would be something to do with ATP.
Reply 4
Original post by Nathaniel911
Similar feeling but I thought it would be something to do with ATP.

that was last year's topic
Original post by mfcutiecat
that was last year's topic

Oh really? I haven't seen the paper 3 for 2022 so I don't know. That's not great :/ I predicted it one year too late then.
Reply 6
Oh really? I haven't seen the paper 3 for 2022 so I don't know. That's not great :/ I predicted it one year too late then.

we did that as our mock not long ago
Reply 7

One was on ATP and the other was about cycles :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by nikta

if the two choices are something to do with DNA technology and succession or biodiversity, i’m actaully finished im not even gonna try with that one bro
Reply 9
Original post by imma_eatjin
if the two choices are something to do with DNA technology and succession or biodiversity, i’m actaully finished im not even gonna try with that one bro

ik same i’d acc kms. but my teacher thinks it’s on water, and she predicted the cycles one right last year
Original post by rafifin605
ik same i’d acc kms. but my teacher thinks it’s on water, and she predicted the cycles one right last year

water would be such a nice one compared to some others icl that’s kind of a good prediction too bc they gave a water question for AS last year, so maybe they would make it into the essay question this year? i rlly hope so
water would be such a nice one compared to some others icl that’s kind of a good prediction too bc they gave a water question for AS last year, so maybe they would make it into the essay question this year? i rlly hope so

water in general hasn’t come up much if you know what i mean, i was a bit scared at first icl but it’s not even that hard. we just need to pray it is.

what other questions are people thinking cos i don’t think primrose kitten is getting much right this year
water in general hasn’t come up much if you know what i mean, i was a bit scared at first icl but it’s not even that hard. we just need to pray it is.

what other questions are people thinking cos i don’t think primrose kitten is getting much right this year

primrose kitten isn’t even all that icl i find her well unhelpful

also essay titles i think a good one could be the importance of microbes maybe? maybe one on succession/inheritance/something to do with genes getting passed on through reproduction if that makes sense
E5E373B9-FDC4-4F63-A980-56E385E3D0DB.jpeg
the past ones that have been done could be modified for this year too who knows
(edited 10 months ago)

What would you write about for it? I’m struggling to think of 4/5 topics
Original post by Chrisrobson13
What would you write about for it? I’m struggling to think of 4/5 topics

We did this in school because my teacher thinks there’s a good chance of it coming up, we made the plan as a class then wrote the essay separately. So i’m assuming these are good topics, otherwise she wouldn’t have wrote it on the board yino.

1. AO1 - plants/cohesion tension theory/xylem
AO2 - IAA or translocation (hydrostatic pressure)

2. AO1 - kidneys/osmoregulation/aquaporins/reabsorption in the collecting duct
AO2 - dehydration/lysis/tissue fluid

3. AO1 - photosynthesis/chemiosmosis/photolysis
AO2 - cellulose/respiration (icl idk what i mean by that one)

4. AO1 - metabolite/polymers to monomers/condensation and hydrolysis
AO2 - digestion/dipeptides/endo and exo peptidases/no ATP so no AT

5. AO1 - high specific heat capacity/thermoregulation
AO2 - enzymes

Correct me if i’m wrong on any of this, i feel like the 3rd ones AO2 is so someone please help.
We did this in school because my teacher thinks there’s a good chance of it coming up, we made the plan as a class then wrote the essay separately. So i’m assuming these are good topics, otherwise she wouldn’t have wrote it on the board yino.

AO2 - enzymes

Correct me if i’m wrong on any of this, i feel like the 3rd ones AO2 is so someone please help.

That seems rly good. For the second importance I would put glucose needed to be reabsorbed for glycolysis.
for the third one I would have done chemiosmosis is needed for light independent reaction.
And for 4, I would put the importance as muscle contraction needs atp

AO2 - enzymes

Ah great, thank you :smile: just one question, how does IAA link to transpiration in the xylem?
Is it because water is used as a reactant in LDR so more IAA produced from LIR??
Original post by Chrisrobson13
Ah great, thank you :smile: just one question, how does IAA link to transpiration in the xylem?
Is it because water is used as a reactant in LDR so more IAA produced from LIR??

your welcome. No, IAA does not directly link to transpiration in the xylem. However, IAA can indirectly affect transpiration by regulating the opening and closing of stomata. When they open, water vapor is able to escape, causing transpiration. IAA can affect the opening and closing of stomata by signaling to the guard cells that surround them.

also, transpiration occurs through the xylem, which is responsible for transporting water and nutrients from the roots to the leaves of the plant. IAA can also affect xylem development and function, which can indirectly impact transpiration. the direct link between IAA and transpiration primarily involves the regulation of stomatal openings.

hope this helps

Quick Reply

Latest