The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by a1.10
I failed my a levels this year I am going to resit maths a level on my own and hopefully achieve an A* then take an access course next year when I turn 19 and do my best do I have a chance of getting into LSE to study economics?

Technically, yes, you have a chance as long as:
You obtain that A* in your Maths resit.
Your Access to HE Diploma is from a QAA-recognised awarded body.
You complete the Access to HE Diploma with 45 Level 3 credits: 39 must be from units awarded at Distinction, with 6 level 3 credits at Merit.

However, that chance is very slim as you will be competing against candidates with a stronger academic profile (who didn't have to resit A level Maths for example.) They say here that "Given the competition for places and the nature of assessment at LSE, we prefer students who have achieved high grades in their first attempt (and in one sitting) at relevant examinations. If extenuating circumstances have impacted your exam performance, you should include details of these in your application."

How are your GCSEs? For BSc Economics LSE request, "A strong set of GCSE grades including the majority at A (or 7) and A* (or 8-9)".
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by a1.10
I failed my a levels this year I am going to resit maths a level on my own and hopefully achieve an A* then take an access course next year when I turn 19 and do my best do I have a chance of getting into LSE to study economics?

LSE ideally want economics applicants to have further maths. In addition, they don't hold the Access to HE in great regard and you would have to take their own test, the UGAA:
https://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/Undergraduate/Prospective-Students/How-to-Apply/UGAA

Why are you only resitting maths?
Reply 3
Original post by DataVenia
Technically, yes, you have a chance as long as:
You obtain that A* in your Maths resit.
Your Access to HE Diploma is from a QAA-recognised awarded body.
You complete the Access to HE Diploma with 45 Level 3 credits: 39 must be from units awarded at Distinction, with 6 level 3 credits at Merit.

However, that chance is very slim as you will be competing against candidates with a stronger academic profile (who didn't have to resit A level Maths for example.) They say here that "Given the competition for places and the nature of assessment at LSE, we prefer students who have achieved high grades in their first attempt (and in one sitting) at relevant examinations. If extenuating circumstances have impacted your exam performance, you should include details of these in your application."

How are your GCSEs? For BSc Economics LSE request, "A strong set of GCSE grades including the majority at A (or 7) and A* (or 8-9)".

I have decent GCSEs I would say but nothing outstanding I got 88 in combined science and a 7 in maths, 7 in eng lit, and 6 in lang and a couple of 5s if not LSE do you know any other prestigious universities I could apply to given I do achieve the A*.
Reply 4
Original post by ageshallnot
LSE ideally want economics applicants to have further maths. In addition, they don't hold the Access to HE in great regard and you would have to take their own test, the UGAA:
https://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/Undergraduate/Prospective-Students/How-to-Apply/UGAA

Why are you only resitting maths?

I never resat my other 2 subjects because I switched from wanting to do engineering to finance so physics and chemistry aren't really relevant I wanted to resit a levels completely this time maths alongside economics and politics but there were no schools to resit because apparently as I am 18 and have already completed a level 3 qualification I am not government funded to do another 2 years and I can't trust myself to self study new content from 3 subjects so I decided to prioritise maths.
Original post by a1.10
I never resat my other 2 subjects because I switched from wanting to do engineering to finance so physics and chemistry aren't really relevant I wanted to resit a levels completely this time maths alongside economics and politics but there were no schools to resit because apparently as I am 18 and have already completed a level 3 qualification I am not government funded to do another 2 years and I can't trust myself to self study new content from 3 subjects so I decided to prioritise maths.

Economics is very competitive at the moment and LSE extremely so. You dont say what your grades are but top London universities appear out of range. What grades did you get in your A levels.;
Reply 6
Original post by a1.10

What grades did you get - only Us are fails ..
Reply 7
Original post by Muttley79
What grades did you get - only Us are fails ..

I got 3 Es in maths, physics and chemistry
Reply 8
Original post by a1.10

So you didn't fail you got low pass grades ... have you got your papers back to see what went wrong?
Original post by a1.10

It is a massive jump from Es to A*s and highly unlikely. You could apply to places like Durham, Exeter and Law with an Access to Higher Education diploma in something like Business. You would need at least 30 credits at diploma level and in some cases more. Given your previous grades I seriously doubt you will achieve these. Maybe you need to reconsider your plans as it is not going to happen for you apply to places like LSE. You need to look at more achievable option. Students applying to top universities dont end up with 3Es,
Reply 10
No these were my final A2 grades I didn't get the exams back but I was struggling a lot and was generally not paying enough attention to my schoolwork which is why I done so poorly only towards the end I done some revision which picked up my grades slightly from Us.
Original post by Muttley79
So you didn't fail you got low pass grades ... have you got your papers back to see what went wrong?
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by a1.10
No these were my final A2 grades I didn't get the exams back but I was struggling a lot and was generally not paying enough attention to my schoolwork which is why I done so poorly only towards the end I done some revision which picked up my grades slightly from Us.

With the greatest kindness, I think you need to accept that top universities aren’t for you. If you struggled to pay attention in class during your A-levels, how will you cope at a prestigious university where the content is far harder and you have far less support? You have to teach yourself large swathes of the content at university level.

And why would a top university choose you - with 3 Es at A-level and maybe an Access course - over the thousands of students who got straight A*s on their first try?

Additionally, your command of written English isn’t brilliant - it’s ‘why I did so poorly’, not ‘done.’ You don’t come across as someone who is massively academic.
Reply 12
Original post by Anonymous
With the greatest kindness, I think you need to accept that top universities aren’t for you. If you struggled to pay attention in class during your A-levels, how will you cope at a prestigious university where the content is far harder and you have far less support? You have to teach yourself large swathes of the content at university level.

And why would a top university choose you - with 3 Es at A-level and maybe an Access course - over the thousands of students who got straight A*s on their first try?

Additionally, your command of written English isn’t brilliant - it’s ‘why I did so poorly’, not ‘done.’ You don’t come across as someone who is massively academic.

Man we're on TSR not in an exam hall its unfair to judge a person based off of that. Plus you don't choose maths, physics and chemistry if you weren't good at them. I was getting near enough full marks on my physics papers and I was a few marks short of an 8 in maths. And I will be honest I was average at English but I was still consistently getting 6s and managed to get a 7 6 in the end. Now I know the top universities are out of reach but I'm just asking for advice because I don't want to give up on education.
Original post by a1.10
Man we're on TSR not in an exam hall its unfair to judge a person based off of that. Plus you don't choose maths, physics and chemistry if you weren't good at them. I was getting near enough full marks on my physics papers and I was a few marks short of an 8 in maths. And I will be honest I was average at English but I was still consistently getting 6s and managed to get a 7 6 in the end. Now I know the top universities are out of reach but I'm just asking for advice because I don't want to give up on education.

The problem you have is that students who apply for leading universities dont end up with 3Es and students dont go from an E to A*. That is a fact so talking about LSE when you have these grades shows you arent living in the real world. Are you going to get 30 distinctions and 15 credits in your access course. That is the minimum top 20 universities require and some require 45 distinctions. Based on previous results this appears far fetched but perhaps not as far fetched as someone going from a grade E to A* in Maths. In the real world that doesbnt happen.
Original post by swanseajack1
The problem you have is that students who apply for leading universities dont end up with 3Es and students dont go from an E to A*. That is a fact so talking about LSE when you have these grades shows you arent living in the real world. Are you going to get 30 distinctions and 15 credits in your access course. That is the minimum top 20 universities require and some require 45 distinctions. Based on previous results this appears far fetched but perhaps not as far fetched as someone going from a grade E to A* in Maths. In the real world that doesbnt happen.

Ok I hear what you’re saying. So if you forget everything I said I wanted to achieve what would you say is a realistic goal to set myself but still I would have to push myself to my limit to achieve
Original post by Anonymous
Ok I hear what you’re saying. So if you forget everything I said I wanted to achieve what would you say is a realistic goal to set myself but still I would have to push myself to my limit to achieve

You need to discuss this with those who know you better but I would be surprised if you reached or exceeded 3Bs. Some ABB universities do intend to accept lower and may not have as strict Maths requirement. I think you can forget top 20 maybe 30 universities.
If your A-level results really have been the wake up call you needed to refocus on your education, then you should look at lower ranked universities for your undergraduate degree (once you have completed your access course). You may well find that this is the best thing for you - these universities often offer a lot more support to their students than higher ranked institutions like LSE (which pretty much leave you to get on with things yourself and are a bit useless if you’re struggling - speaking from experience as an LSE grad).

If you work really hard at university, and get a strong first class or high 2:1 degree, that would then stand you in great stead to do a masters at a more prestigious university - if that’s what you still want to do at that point. You’d be able to demonstrate a strong upwards trajectory, which is what universities - and in the future, employers - are looking for.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending