The Student Room Group

Nitrate ion

Hi, could someone explain to me why the top molecule is correctly drawn but the bottom is wrong? This if for a nitrate ion by the way. 8C351B45-0410-4297-A8CF-8F9E859DBB3F.jpg.jpeg thanks in advance
Original post by subbhy
Hi, could someone explain to me why the top molecule is correctly drawn but the bottom is wrong? This if for a nitrate ion by the way. 8C351B45-0410-4297-A8CF-8F9E859DBB3F.jpg.jpeg thanks in advance

It’s because period 2 elements like nitrogen can’t have more than 4 bonds surrounding them (there is a reason for this explained beyond A level), so because the bottom structure has 5 bonds, it isn’t possible.
Reply 2
Original post by TypicalNerd
It’s because period 2 elements like nitrogen can’t have more than 4 bonds surrounding them (there is a reason for this explained beyond A level), so because the bottom structure has 5 bonds, it isn’t possible.

So with a level knowledge of N having 5 valence electrons and thus being able to form 5 bonds, I wouldn’t be able to draw the structure of a nitrate ion?
Original post by subbhy
So with a level knowledge of N having 5 valence electrons and thus being able to form 5 bonds, I wouldn’t be able to draw the structure of a nitrate ion?

You just have to learn the structure of the nitrate ion as you are expected to know it at A level. Using A level knowledge of covalent bonds from elsewhere in the course to work it out will undoubtedly give you a wrong structure every time
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by TypicalNerd
You just have to learn the structure of the nitrate ion as you are expected to know it at A level. Using A level knowledge to work it out will undoubtedly give you a wrong structure every time

Great thanks
Reply 5
found this on line which I thought was quite interesting!

https://byjus.com/jee/hybridization-of-no3/
Reply 6
Original post by Scanjo63
found this on line which I thought was quite interesting!

https://byjus.com/jee/hybridization-of-no3/

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest