The Student Room Group

Official MATHS applicants thread 2024

Scroll to see replies

Original post by normaw
Are you applying to study maths at university this year?
Well this is the place for you!

Tell us about ...

Specific course:
Universities you're applying to:
A level / IB / Higher grades:
GCSE grades:
Any questions:

Share as much detail as you're comfortable with.

You may also want to have a look at this HUGE LIST of other applicants threads for all the universities you're applying to as well as potential other courses if you're a joint honours student.

Specific course: maths/ maths and stats
Universities you're applying to: oxford, imperial, Bristol(AB), Cardiff(AB), UWE(120 tariff points)
A level / IB / Higher grades: A in maths, predicted A*'s in further maths and film studies
GCSE grades:
9 - religion
8- geography
7- physics, English, maths
6- history
Reply 21
Original post by harvey_specterx
Applied to Imperial and Warwick too! My other ones were Cambridge, LSE and UCL. We have the same A levels and predicteds as well haha
have u started preparing for ur interview?

Hey, which course did you apply for at LSE? Maths, statistics and business?
Original post by qzro
Hey, which course did you apply for at LSE? Maths, statistics and business?

maths and data science !!
Hi,

I currently study a Maths and Philosophy degree and am in my third year.

Does anyone have any questions about studying maths at uni or anything to do with university?

Feel free to ask,

Lizzie (BSc Mathematics and Philosophy - University of Sheffield)
Original post by University of Sheffield Students
Hi,
I currently study a Maths and Philosophy degree and am in my third year.
Does anyone have any questions about studying maths at uni or anything to do with university?
Feel free to ask,
Lizzie (BSc Mathematics and Philosophy - University of Sheffield)
Hi!
I’m preparing for STEP rn, and I was wondering what to do when you’re stuck on a question? How do you know what do, given that there’s so many methods, so many tricks etc - I never know what to do on the harder parts of questions!! Especially with step since you somehow have to magically know what to do
Hi!
I’m preparing for STEP rn, and I was wondering what to do when you’re stuck on a question? How do you know what do, given that there’s so many methods, so many tricks etc - I never know what to do on the harder parts of questions!! Especially with step since you somehow have to magically know what to do
Dont think there is a silver bullet for this as the questions are obviously very varied, though step questions do tend to lead you through the solution, even if its not obvious/explicitly stated. So even if youve got through the first few parts, make sure you understand the theme of the question as its likely to be the similar but maybe a bit harder/less info for the last part.

Having said that, if youre unsure about what the question/last part was about/need a hint or two, just post.
(edited 1 month ago)
Hi!
Hi,

As someone else has said, there is sometimes a theme to questions and so if you have understood the first parts, you could use that for the final part.
I found past papers to be really helpful and asking my teachers for their advice.
If I really couldn't figure out the clever trick, I would just try everything and anything until something worked.

STEP is also meant to be hard, don't be too disappointed if you struggle with it.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have more questions,
Lizzie (BSc Maths and Philosophy - 3rd year - University of Sheffield)
Original post by mqb2766
Dont think there is a silver bullet for this as the questions are obviously very varied, though step questions do tend to lead you through the solution, even if its not obvious/explicitly stated. So even if youve got through the first few parts, make sure you understand the theme of the question as its likely to be the similar but maybe a bit harder/less info for the last part.
Having said that, if youre unsure about what the question/last part was about/need a hint or two, just post.

great, thank you!
Original post by University of Sheffield Students
Hi,
As someone else has said, there is sometimes a theme to questions and so if you have understood the first parts, you could use that for the final part.
I found past papers to be really helpful and asking my teachers for their advice.
If I really couldn't figure out the clever trick, I would just try everything and anything until something worked.
STEP is also meant to be hard, don't be too disappointed if you struggle with it.
Hope this helps, let me know if you have more questions,
Lizzie (BSc Maths and Philosophy - 3rd year - University of Sheffield)

Thank youu, and yeah trying everything is my strategy right now as well

Quick Reply

Latest