The Student Room Group

Actuarial science 2024

Has anyone received an offer for actuarial science, if so at which university?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm applying in January after my next set of mocks. What unis have you applied to?
Reply 2
Original post by Jieay20
I'm applying in January after my next set of mocks. What unis have you applied to?

Hey, What does someone in actuary science do? Because I wanted to be do something related to maths and finance
Reply 3
Original post by Wishd
Hey, What does someone in actuary science do? Because I wanted to be do something related to maths and finance

Hey
I'm currently studying Actuarial Data science and what it comprises is Linear Algebra, Calculus, Mathematical modelling (Python), Financial Maths (aka Actuarial maths), Economics, Statistics and Financial management (Accounting).
If you're interested and have a drive for mathematical problems then this degree is for you.
Word of advice, this degree requires a lot of work and it will test your capabilities. Hardwork is inevitable.
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 4
Just thought I'd come back to this thread and update you all, I've currently received offers for UEA, Essex and Kent. I'm now just waiting on Leicester and York.
Reply 5
Hey, has anyone got offers from any more unis so far? I've got offers from York, UEA, Essex, Kent and Leicester now 😀
(edited 5 months ago)
hello!
i haven't seen many other people applying for actuarial science on here, so it was nice to find this thread! so far i have recieved offers from qmul, essex, and city uni of london (bayes business school). im currently waiting on southampton and lse :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by uglyplushy
hello!
i haven't seen many other people applying for actuarial science on here, so it was nice to find this thread! so far i have recieved offers from qmul, essex, and city uni of london (bayes business school). im currently waiting on southampton and lse :smile:

Congrats :smile:
Original post by Jieay20
Congrats :smile:

thank you!!! congrats to you too for getting 5/5 offers!! :biggrin:
Reply 9
thank you!!! congrats to you too for getting 5/5 offers!! :biggrin:

thank you 🙂 Have you applied for a year in industry or just the 3 year course?
Original post by Jieay20
thank you 🙂 Have you applied for a year in industry or just the 3 year course?

no worries! and ive applied for a year in industry for all of them except southampton, how about you? :smile:
Reply 11
no worries! and ive applied for a year in industry for all of them except southampton, how about you? :smile:

I applied for a year in industry for York and UEA which I'm 99% sure will be my firm and insurance choices. I applied for the 3 year for Leicester, Kent and Essex. 🙂
Original post by Jieay20
I applied for a year in industry for York and UEA which I'm 99% sure will be my firm and insurance choices. I applied for the 3 year for Leicester, Kent and Essex. 🙂

sounds great! 🙂 are you going to go to the essex offer holder day, or nah?
Reply 13
sounds great! 🙂 are you going to go to the essex offer holder day, or nah?

I probably will, although I've not given Essex much attention if I'm honest. But it would still be nice to have a look around.
Hi there, im currently debating whether i should have a go applying for actuarial science however im not sure my GCSE grades are good enough. Just wondering what sort of grades people have applied with this year that have received offers?
Original post by sa_8023
I have received offers from Essex, Kent, Queen's Belfast, City uni of London and Leeds. I am having trouble deciding whether I should choose Leeds or Kent as my firm choice. Any advice? I am an international student btw.
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by Alice.owen
Hi there, im currently debating whether i should have a go applying for actuarial science however im not sure my GCSE grades are good enough. Just wondering what sort of grades people have applied with this year that have received offers?

I can only imagine GCSEs would hold any weight if you were apply to LSE for actuarial science (although even LSE might not be too worried about them), as long as you get high enough in GCSE Maths to take it at A-Level (so probably a 7 depending on your college/sixth form) you'd be able to study actuarial science.

What really matters is your A-Level predicted grades, specifically in mathematics. I got a 7 at GCSE for maths and predicted a B in A-Level Maths and got offers from Kent, Essex, York, UEA and Leicester for Actuarial Science.

Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by hayden.r
I have received offers from Essex, Kent, Queen's Belfast, City uni of London and Leeds. I am having trouble deciding whether I should choose Leeds or Kent as my firm choice. Any advice? I am an international student btw.
I believe the Leeds course only offers 3 exemptions whereas Kent offers all 6 exemptions so if you want to qualify as a fellow fast then Kent would probably give you a better chance of doing so. I also recommend looking at modules, the way the worlds going I'd probably look for courses with more optional programming modules as personally I feel like they'll be more useful in the future but see what interests you obviously :smile:
Original post by sa_8023

University of Manchester
Bayes Business School, Kent and Essex.

Quick Reply

Latest