The Student Room Group

Bristol maths or Edinburgh maths?

I have received offers from both universities for mathematics with an integrated masters, but I am unsure about which course I prefer.
To help inform my decision making process, I'd like to hear the opinions/perspectives of others (e.g. past and current students etc) :smile:

Context:
I live closer to Edinburgh but I am aware of Bristol's good reputation for maths specifically, and I have visited (and liked) both cities but not for open days. Although Edinburgh university is considered to be prestigious, I know very little about the maths department and undergraduate course.
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by 12345green
I have received offers from both universities for mathematics with an integrated masters, but I am unsure about which course I prefer.
To help inform my decision making process, I'd like to hear the opinions/perspectives of others (e.g. past and current students etc) :smile:

Context:
I live closer to Edinburgh but I am aware of Bristol's good reputation for maths specifically, and I have visited (and liked) both cities but not for open days. Although Edinburgh university is considered to be prestigious, I know very little about the maths department and undergraduate course.

Heya, I don't do maths but I'm at Bristol univerisity and love it. Bristol is also considered to be prestigious too, I'd say its probably quite on par with Edinburgh actually. I would say don't worry too much about prestige/ reputation in this instance as both are very well-respected universities, a maths degree would be favourable from either. So I'd base your descion off of the uni itself, make sure you read about the course structure and see which you like best. I haven't been to Edinbrugh uni so cannot really comment about it. Bristol is lots of fun, its a lovely city, the people are great, the university campus is large enough it does not feel claustrophobic but small enough it is easy to get around. Both are great universities though, whichever you decide will be good!!
Reply 2
Original post by lasanya
Heya, I don't do maths but I'm at Bristol univerisity and love it. Bristol is also considered to be prestigious too, I'd say its probably quite on par with Edinburgh actually. I would say don't worry too much about prestige/ reputation in this instance as both are very well-respected universities, a maths degree would be favourable from either. So I'd base your descion off of the uni itself, make sure you read about the course structure and see which you like best. I haven't been to Edinbrugh uni so cannot really comment about it. Bristol is lots of fun, its a lovely city, the people are great, the university campus is large enough it does not feel claustrophobic but small enough it is easy to get around. Both are great universities though, whichever you decide will be good!!

thankyou - when I visited Bristol i wasn't there for long so i only really got to see the city centre
(edited 5 months ago)
@Muttley79 any views?
Reply 4

Context:

Neither - where else have you applied. I prefer Bath to Bristol.
Reply 5

Context:

The list of fourth year options

https://www.bris.ac.uk/unit-programme-catalogue/RouteStructureCohort.jsa;jsessionid=8DF853AE88FA9EF00152F31832D9368B?byCohort=Y&cohort=Y&routeLevelCode=4&ayrCode=24%2F25&modeOfStudyCode=Full+Time&programmeCode=2MATH004U

is diverse and what you'd expect of a serious and large mathematics department. I have a current MSc student who was discussing the other night the Edinburgh course. Whilst he enjoyed his four-year degree he said he's rather embarrassed to see where some fourth year Edinburgh material is met in the Oxford degree. The Bristol arrangements both look more challenging (if you want that) and more varied, which is reassuring when you can't be sure quite what mathematics you're going to end up enjoying.
Reply 6
Original post by RichE

The list of fourth year options

https://www.bris.ac.uk/unit-programme-catalogue/RouteStructureCohort.jsa;jsessionid=8DF853AE88FA9EF00152F31832D9368B?byCohort=Y&cohort=Y&routeLevelCode=4&ayrCode=24%2F25&modeOfStudyCode=Full+Time&programmeCode=2MATH004U

is diverse and what you'd expect of a serious and large mathematics department. I have a current MSc student who was discussing the other night the Edinburgh course. Whilst he enjoyed his four-year degree he said he's rather embarrassed to see where some fourth year Edinburgh material is met in the Oxford degree. The Bristol arrangements both look more challenging (if you want that) and more varied, which is reassuring when you can't be sure quite what mathematics you're going to end up enjoying.

thank you, after looking at the available modules for both courses I think I prefer Bristol at the moment. another advantage of Bristol is that I'd be studying for four years rather than five - for some reason I didn't think about applying for second year entry at Edinburgh.
Reply 7
Original post by Muttley79

Neither - where else have you applied. I prefer Bath to Bristol.

oxford, manchester, and bath. out of interest, what makes you favour bath?
Reply 8
oxford, manchester, and bath. out of interest, what makes you favour bath?

Bristol are notoriuos for taking too many students. Some are in halls in Newport, Wales this year - it's a university to avoid.
Reply 9
Original post by Muttley79

Bristol are notoriuos for taking too many students. Some are in halls in Newport, Wales this year - it's a university to avoid.

apparently the maths course at Bristol has a 9% first year dropout rate
Reply 10
Original post by RichE

I can understand that. However I would say that I found 4 years in Scotland very nice as it allows you to go at your own pace and it gives you more maturity (literally) also spare time to do your own excursions (with a lecturer or not) into more maths you are interested in. So when you start your Masters you have quite a wide base. I know this route is not for some given the yearning for a faster pace in everything now, but I think putting it out there as an option which is by no means all drawbacks.
(edited 5 months ago)

Context:

Bristol maths is really hard, everyone I knew who stayed on the course was super smart so I would be concerned, almost everyone I knew personally really struggled or changed to easier courses from maths. This is despite these people having mostly A*/As at alevel. In terms of prestige I would edinburgh is better but not significantly so and especially not for maths, bristol is well known for its stem.
Reply 12
Original post by username6661155

Context:

Bristol maths is really hard, everyone I knew who stayed on the course was super smart so I would be concerned, almost everyone I knew personally really struggled or changed to easier courses from maths. This is despite these people having mostly A*/As at alevel. In terms of prestige I would edinburgh is better but not significantly so and especially not for maths, bristol is well known for its stem.

thanks that was useful to hear, I decided on Edinburgh a while ago :smile:

Context:
Where else have you applied? For example, Bath is better than Bristol for Maths.
Reply 14
thank you, after looking at the available modules for both courses I think I prefer Bristol at the moment. another advantage of Bristol is that I'd be studying for four years rather than five - for some reason I didn't think about applying for second year entry at Edinburgh.
https://www.maths.ed.ac.uk/school-of-mathematics/studying-here/undergraduate-study/second-year-entry

You can switch to second year entry if you want.

Yes thank you, I've firmed Edinburgh and went to the offer holder day recently - they told me that I could switch to second year entry during the first 2 weeks of the degree

Quick Reply

Latest