The Student Room Group

how to get a grade 9 in maths?

i need help on how to get the best grade i can achieve in maths. in my last exam i got an 5 but i barely revised or did any practise in preparation for it. i haven't got a mathematical brain i like subjects like english and re so any suggestions on what to do to revise?
the most important thing is to keep doing exam questions. just go on maths genie and complete the questions for each topic after watching their videos, it helped a lot for me in gcse :biggrin: most of the time, they just recycle the questions each year, so you’ll be fine in general
Reply 2
Original post by gsimrun
i need help on how to get the best grade i can achieve in maths. in my last exam i got an 5 but i barely revised or did any practise in preparation for it. i haven't got a mathematical brain i like subjects like english and re so any suggestions on what to do to revise?

Well first you need to make sure that you actually understand the content; go through your classwork and do questions from the textbook. If you're still struggling and need a bit more help, then you can watch some YouTube videos. ( I find them to be very useful as the explanations are usually clearer than the textbook and they go through worked examples too.) Then you should do past paper questions, as these are the types of questions you'll be getting in the actual exam. Doing lots of past paper questions is very important in a subject like maths!
Reply 3
Original post by ManUtd_21
Well first you need to make sure that you actually understand the content; go through your classwork and do questions from the textbook. If you're still struggling and need a bit more help, then you can watch some YouTube videos. ( I find them to be very useful as the explanations are usually clearer than the textbook and they go through worked examples too.) Then you should do past paper questions, as these are the types of questions you'll be getting in the actual exam. Doing lots of past paper questions is very important in a subject like maths!

thank you. do you have any suggestions of what YouTube videos to watch?
Reply 4
Original post by abisana1437
the most important thing is to keep doing exam questions. just go on maths genie and complete the questions for each topic after watching their videos, it helped a lot for me in gcse :biggrin: most of the time, they just recycle the questions each year, so you’ll be fine in general

Thank you for your help!
Reply 5
Original post by gsimrun
thank you. do you have any suggestions of what YouTube videos to watch?

When I was doing my GCSEs I used 'Corbettmaths' and 'TLMaths' (I still use TLMaths videos for A Levels). I've also heard that 'Cognito' is quite good and 'Maths Genie' has lots of exam paper walkthroughs. For past paper questions use PMT(physics and maths tutor). Just search up the relevant topic and you'll find lots of useful videos, websites and channels. I hope that this helps!
Reply 6
Thankyou! This helps me so much.
Original post by gsimrun
Thankyou! This helps me so much.

If you want a high grade, watch maths videos beyond the scope of the specification: learn to enjoy maths.
Original post by gsimrun

I only got a grade 8 because i didn't do long term revision but I did mostly past papers and when on GCSE mathst tutor for extra help. I also did the predicted papers on youtube like a day before the exam.
Reply 9
Original post by My name's Cy
If you want a high grade, watch maths videos beyond the scope of the specification: learn to enjoy maths.

Thank you i will do
Reply 10
Original post by TomokoRainMaker
I only got a grade 8 because i didn't do long term revision but I did mostly past papers and when on GCSE mathst tutor for extra help. I also did the predicted papers on youtube like a day before the exam.

An 8 is still so good. Thank you sm!!

Quick Reply

Latest