The Student Room Group

Isaac Physics C4a.6 Help please

I can’t seem to find the resistance or the pd, please can someone explain how to answer the question?
https://isaacphysics.org/questions/phys19_c4a_q6?board=phys19_c4_add&stage=a_level
Reply 1
Original post by depriveofsocial
I can’t seem to find the resistance or the pd, please can someone explain how to answer the question?
https://isaacphysics.org/questions/phys19_c4a_q6?board=phys19_c4_add&stage=a_level

The total resistance should be fairly straightforward, as each of the parallel branches are the same. What did you try?
Original post by mqb2766
The total resistance should be fairly straightforward, as each of the parallel branches are the same. What did you try?

Sorry for the late reply. I had managed to get 5/4R for the total resistance, but I’m still stuck on finding the potential across 2R. I know the pd stays the same in parallel, but it splits in series. I just don’t know how to start
Reply 3
Original post by depriveofsocial
Sorry for the late reply. I had managed to get 5/4R for the total resistance, but I’m still stuck on finding the potential across 2R. I know the pd stays the same in parallel, but it splits in series. I just don’t know how to start

The pd across each of the parallel paths is the same. So just consider one and the resistance(s) for that path. You have two in series a 2R and an equivalent R/2 so ...
(edited 3 months ago)

Ignore one branch, voltage is constant on each branch. Voltage is split on series so consider 2R and the total of those parallel resistors as two components, then find the voltage on 2R using a ratio.
Original post by mqb2766
The pd across each of the parallel paths is the same. So just consider one and the resistance(s) for that path. You have two in series a 2R and an equivalent R/2 so ...

My final answer was 4/5V, I took what you said and did like the ratio regarding resistance and voltage, thank you.
Original post by bertielarter

Ignore one branch, voltage is constant on each branch. Voltage is split on series so consider 2R and the total of those parallel resistors as two components, then find the voltage on 2R using a ratio.

thank you, ive got the answer:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest