The Student Room Group

Physics A-Level

I really like astrophysics and general concepts of physics , however maths isn’t my strongest subject so is it worth choosing it for an A-Level or should I stick to my stronger subjects?
Reply 1
Original post by lau11011.1
I really like astrophysics and general concepts of physics , however maths isn’t my strongest subject so is it worth choosing it for an A-Level or should I stick to my stronger subjects?
im not very good at maths at all and i took physics as an A level, the only difficulty is understanding the concepts and equations, i think the math part is okay its only the equations and the equation derivatives that are difficult. the paper 1 for physics as is also the hardest paper in all of the as level
Hiya, I'm a current 3rd year astrophysics and cosmology student at Lancaster University. It's great to hear that you have a passion for astrophysics and general physics concepts! A-level physics can be challenging, and it does involve a significant amount of mathematics. However, it's not uncommon for students to excel in physics even if maths isn't their strongest subject.

If you're passionate about astrophysics and physics in general, pursuing it at A-level could be very rewarding. While there will be mathematical components, many students find that the real-world applications as well as theoretical approaches make the subject worth the effort.

That said, it's essential to consider your strengths and interests. If you're confident in your ability to improve your maths skills and are dedicated to putting in the necessary effort, pursuing A-level physics could be a fulfilling choice. However, if you feel that your strengths lie elsewhere and you have other subjects that you're equally passionate about, it's worth exploring those options as well.

Ultimately, the decision should be based on your interests, goals, and willingness to put in the work to succeed in the subject. If you're uncertain, it might be helpful to speak with your teachers for guidance tailored to your specific situation. I'd also highly recommend looking at exam board specifications online to see what the course entails, as they put in a lot of detail surrounding each topic covered. You could do that for a few subjects you may be considering and compare them all so you can come to a decision you are happy with and are able to see the level of mathmatical knowledge that would be included in the course.

I hope all this helps and if you have any other questions, feel free to ask :smile:
-- Arya (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)
Reply 3
hi i take physics alevels without maths. there is A LOT of maths in physics, but this is mostly higher gcse maths. the maths in alevel physics include algebraic manipulation, surds, ratios, logarithms(a level), and trignometry. as long as u are good as gcse maths, i don't think physics alevel will be much of a problem BUT you need to work really hard. u may even need to revise mathematical concepts in order to answer some questions in physics

In year 13 rn doing physics. What I'd say is, the maths doesn't go past gcse level apart from logarithms which is learnt in A level maths but there is a LOT of number crunching and rearranging formulas.

Quick Reply

Latest