The Student Room Group

Guitar String Stress

Use the wave equation v=fλ and your answer to Part A to find an expression for the stress σ in a guitar string of length L made from material with density ρ, whose fundamental frequency is f.

Answer to part a is sqrt((sigma)/(rho))

Useful equations
The speed v of a wave on a guitar string is related to the tension T in the string and the linear density (mass per unit length) μ of the string by the equation:

v= sqrt(μ /T)

Wave equation: v=fλ
Equation linking length of a string to wavelength of standing waves on it: L=(nλ)/2
(n=1,2,3…)
Original post by RoutneClient77
Use the wave equation v=fλ and your answer to Part A to find an expression for the stress σ in a guitar string of length L made from material with density ρ, whose fundamental frequency is f.

Useful equations
The speed v of a wave on a guitar string is related to the tension T in the string and the linear density (mass per unit length) μ of the string by the equation:

v= sqrt(μ /T)

Equation linking length of a string to wavelength of standing waves on it: L=(nλ)/2
(n=1,2,3…)

What is sqrt((sigma)/(rho))? Tension? Speed? or some other physical quantity.

I would recommend that you post the whole question and tell us what have you tried.
Original post by Eimmanuel
What is sqrt((sigma)/(rho))? Tension? Speed? or some other physical quantity.

I would recommend that you post the whole question and tell us what have you tried.

Sqrt of stress/density

Useful equations

v= sqrt(μ /T)

(n=1,2,3…)

Sqrt of stress/density

For some reason, you don’t understand what I am asking in post #2.

What I am asking is what does the sqrt(stress/density) represent?
For example in physics, we know that gpe = mgh, so mgh represents gpe.

I believe sqrt(stress/density) represents a physical quantity or put in another way, sqrt(stress/density) is the right-hand side of a formula, so what is the left side?

If you still have no ideas, post the whole question and tell us what have you tried.

Useful equations

v= sqrt(μ /T)

Check that you have the correct formula highlighted in red.

Quick Reply

Latest