The Student Room Group

Advice on my composition? (GCSE Music)

https://www.noteflight.com/scores/view/960673a7dbb10c653fe3815b0901c3020ce35760
Above is a link to my (in progress) free comp. I'm going for something vaguely Eastern European that might be heard in a video game; people who've played soulslike/soulslike-adjacent games (Elden Ring, The Witcher, Bloodborne) will know what I'm on about, but if you don't then feel free to search up some of their music to get a feel for what I mean.
I'm kind of stressed because I left this pretty late and I just feel like it lacks energy and I don't know how to fix it. I don't even know what exactly sounds wrong but it just sounds quite thin texture-wise and sort of half-hearted. I have some nice ideas I want to shoehorn in later but I need to have a buildup that doesn't sound lame and right now it kinda does.
I'd appreciate any advice. :smile:
Original post by x-wing_pilot
https://www.noteflight.com/scores/view/960673a7dbb10c653fe3815b0901c3020ce35760
Above is a link to my (in progress) free comp. I'm going for something vaguely Eastern European that might be heard in a video game; people who've played soulslike/soulslike-adjacent games (Elden Ring, The Witcher, Bloodborne) will know what I'm on about, but if you don't then feel free to search up some of their music to get a feel for what I mean.
I'm kind of stressed because I left this pretty late and I just feel like it lacks energy and I don't know how to fix it. I don't even know what exactly sounds wrong but it just sounds quite thin texture-wise and sort of half-hearted. I have some nice ideas I want to shoehorn in later but I need to have a buildup that doesn't sound lame and right now it kinda does.
I'd appreciate any advice. :smile:
overall, I didn't think it was too bad! I think adding some dynamics would be a good start, maybe you add another instrument (I reckon brass or strings could be nice) to complement the piano melody line and maybe develop another alternative melody line to fill some of the emptier bars??
Reply 2
yeah, i was thinking that i should have some crescendo or something before the piano RH comes in... and brass sounds like an interesting idea! i'll play around with that for sure
thank you for your advice 🫶 have a nice day/night!
Original post by x-wing_pilot
yeah, i was thinking that i should have some crescendo or something before the piano RH comes in... and brass sounds like an interesting idea! i'll play around with that for sure
thank you for your advice 🫶 have a nice day/night!
you are most welcome!!! i remember doing music gcse, composition is hard to get to grips with so anything to help make it a slighter easier, more enjoyable experience :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest