The Student Room Group

Psychologist apply Massage therapy

Can a psychologist /psychotherapist add massage therapy to his clients for mental relaxation?
As someone who has no idea - can't help but feel this would cross some sort of boundary in terms of the vulnerability of clients? Therapy in both senses can be quite invasive.
This is an interesting question. I don't think the regulations prevent physical contact of a therapeutic nature it but it would have to be very carefully managed and its appropriateness reviewed on an individual basis. Some psychotherapists hug their clients when they are distressed for example.
Original post by Neurobug
Can a psychologist /psychotherapist add massage therapy to his clients for mental relaxation?

If any one of my colleagues did this I would report them, referring them to a message therapist would be okay though. Therapy is regularly an intimate space and doing this would send huge mixed messages.

Keep your hands to yourself basically,

greg
Reply 4
What if ur colleague( psychotherapist) also a licensed massage therapist and he wants to apply massage therapy along psychological therapy combination for his patients?
What if ur colleague( psychotherapist) also a licensed massage therapist and he wants to apply massage therapy along psychological therapy combination for his patients?

In that case I would report him for being unprofessional and also for his stupidity. This are both useful approaches but never simultaneously. You would not want your mechanic also asking you if it is alright if he did a physical exam on you also. What this is a trite remark, therapy and message therapy are no way similar, and this is exactly what leads to therapists being struck off repeatedly. You either do one or the other, but never at the same time with the same client. Imagine working with a client who was stressed and you did this, and then while doing it highlighted she was touched/abused by someone in a position of power (father, teacher etc), how do you think that would go? This is very common.

I think have two strings to your bow would be brilliant though, but the risks around this are huge and clients always come first.

Greg
Reply 6
Original post by greg tony
In that case I would report him for being unprofessional and also for his stupidity. This are both useful approaches but never simultaneously. You would not want your mechanic also asking you if it is alright if he did a physical exam on you also. What this is a trite remark, therapy and message therapy are no way similar, and this is exactly what leads to therapists being struck off repeatedly. You either do one or the other, but never at the same time with the same client. Imagine working with a client who was stressed and you did this, and then while doing it highlighted she was touched/abused by someone in a position of power (father, teacher etc), how do you think that would go? This is very common.

I think have two strings to your bow would be brilliant though, but the risks around this are huge and clients always come first.

Greg

Great answer Greg. But I think if psychologist really expert on this area like deep tissue massage therapy which may help to relieve depression, reduce stress and anxiety and make clients feel relax and calm..! He can add it as an extra session. It will be left on clients will basis. Wouldn’t it be great if psychologist can combination his skills and provide psychological and physical relaxation to his clients with highest priority to their mental concern?
There are undoubtedly ethical issues here but here's an article written by a psychotherapist about the use of "affective touch" published in Therapy Today journal. The article addresses the ethics question in some detail.
https://static1.squarespace.com/static/56bdb8b601dbaeb8c76b3f7c/t/60180860ee1ce117244b9609/1612187744663/Affective+touch+copy+BACP.pdf
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 8

Are you a therapist

Quick Reply

Latest