The Student Room Group

Changing degree in 2nd year?

Hi all,

So I am currently in my 2nd year of a natural sciences degree (Chemistry+Biochemistry), and have been wanting to change to chem+phys since last year actually. I don't have A-Level physics as after year 12 I dropped it as back then I was planning to study medicine. However, throughout 1st year and again this year, I notice that I really don't enjoy my biochem lectures/content anymore and I feel as though I don't really have a passion for biology anymore. Chemistry on the other hand, in particular physical chemistry, I do enjoy for the most part. Last year I asked the physics dept. at my uni if I could transfer to chem+physics despite not having a-level physics but unfortunately was told no, and they suggested that I took a level physics over the summer and re enter the course from first year. I didn't do that however as I really didn't want to have to go through first year again and leave my friends behind etc., also living in halls was really bad for my mental health so I did not want that again. However, now I realise I probably should have done that. Basically I am wondering if it is worth to drop out and change course now or am I too far through my course for it to be worth it? Also I'm not sure how student finance would work, I have heard after first year if you change course you would have to fund a year yourself? And is there the possibility of me still being able to enter physics as a field with my current undergrad, for example doing postgrad courses in it? If so I would probably prefer to just carry on with my current degree and do that instead of starting all over. Just looking for some general advice really as I'm feeling very lost and overwhelmed with it all :/
Reply 1
Hi, I had a look at some 1 year Physics Masters course requirements and they mostly ask for 'physics or other physical science' so your degree should be fine for that I think :smile:

Surrey MSc Physics (minimum of a 2:2 UK honours degree in chemistry, electronic engineering, nuclear engineering, physics, or a recognised equivalent international qualification.)

Cardiff MSc Physics (2:1 honours degree in a relevant subject area such as astronomy, astrophysics, computer science, engineering, mathematics, physics, or related physical science)

Birmingham MSc Physics and Technology of Nuclear Reactors (A 2:1 Honours degree in a relevant subject (eg, Physics, Engineering, Mathematics or any Physical Science subject))

Also, there are graduate schemes that are physics-related that accept various STEM or science backgrounds, here are a few examples:

Hope this helps some.
Reply 2
Original post by Pedr0
Hi, I had a look at some 1 year Physics Masters course requirements and they mostly ask for 'physics or other physical science' so your degree should be fine for that I think :smile:

Surrey MSc Physics (minimum of a 2:2 UK honours degree in chemistry, electronic engineering, nuclear engineering, physics, or a recognised equivalent international qualification.)

Cardiff MSc Physics (2:1 honours degree in a relevant subject area such as astronomy, astrophysics, computer science, engineering, mathematics, physics, or related physical science)

Birmingham MSc Physics and Technology of Nuclear Reactors (A 2:1 Honours degree in a relevant subject (eg, Physics, Engineering, Mathematics or any Physical Science subject))

Also, there are graduate schemes that are physics-related that accept various STEM or science backgrounds, here are a few examples:

Hope this helps some.
Oh that is such a relief, thank you so much! My main concern was that if I carry on with my current course am I essentially closing the door on physics for good and there would be no way I could enter the field after my current degree. But that seems to not be the case.

Many thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending