The Student Room Group

gcse options helpp meee

im choosing my gcse options this week, and i have decided that i am definitely doing spanish. however, im not sure whether to do geography or history. i've seen lots of people saying that history is interesting but hard, and geo is boring but easy. i personally like both history and geography and they are both quite easy for me (meaning i do well in both). however i also don't know whether or not to choose music, because i play piano and all of my friends and my music teachers say that i would be good at it.but if i choose music, whihc one out of geo and history do i take if i like both? and music doesn't really have anything to do with what i want to do in the future, but i like it, so should i still do it? i need opnionsssss
Original post by someone831297453
im choosing my gcse options this week, and i have decided that i am definitely doing spanish. however, im not sure whether to do geography or history. i've seen lots of people saying that history is interesting but hard, and geo is boring but easy. i personally like both history and geography and they are both quite easy for me (meaning i do well in both). however i also don't know whether or not to choose music, because i play piano and all of my friends and my music teachers say that i would be good at it.but if i choose music, whihc one out of geo and history do i take if i like both? and music doesn't really have anything to do with what i want to do in the future, but i like it, so should i still do it? i need opnionsssss
If you think music don't have anything to do with your future, don't waste your time taking it. Sure your good at piano and that is music and will therefore relates to the GCSE but there is no point in taking it if you don't see much value in it compared to the others. If you like music, theres no one stopping you from learning it on the side, like a hobby
My advice for you is to not pick geography and history both, it's going to be a disaster. Out of those two, I would say go for history purely because it's more interesting and it is easy if yk the material
make sure to check what topics u cover in both history and geography and see which ones u like more. also u might want to consider the teachers at ur skl for history and geo.

in my personal experience, everyone who ik who chose both history and geography regrets taking geography.
I've taken both history and geography and can honestly say it's true what people say about both (at least in my opinion). I have a friend who also takes both and he is of the complete opposite opinion, however, so take it with a grain of salt. I highly advise checking out what history modules are in your school's course first before making a decision, as they make all the difference to whether the class is enjoyable or not, and you don't want to be stuck on a course you don't enjoy for 2 years (i got lucky with 4 enjoyable ones). I'm also a guitarist and part spanish so i basically had the same situation as you 2 years ago. What I ended up doing was spanish, history and geography. I didnt take music because i didnt want to associate it with the pain of gcses and suck the fun out of it, and honestly, i'm happy with the decision, but that's just me. Prioritise your own needs and wants, because in reality, it's your future and its up to you to decide.
Original post by EmpyreanConflux
I've taken both history and geography and can honestly say it's true what people say about both (at least in my opinion). I have a friend who also takes both and he is of the complete opposite opinion, however, so take it with a grain of salt. I highly advise checking out what history modules are in your school's course first before making a decision, as they make all the difference to whether the class is enjoyable or not, and you don't want to be stuck on a course you don't enjoy for 2 years (i got lucky with 4 enjoyable ones). I'm also a guitarist and part spanish so i basically had the same situation as you 2 years ago. What I ended up doing was spanish, history and geography. I didnt take music because i didnt want to associate it with the pain of gcses and suck the fun out of it, and honestly, i'm happy with the decision, but that's just me. Prioritise your own needs and wants, because in reality, it's your future and its up to you to decide.
was it hard to do geography and history? because my brother is in year eleven and he does geo and history and regret taking history, and everyone else who he knows who took both (even really smart people) regret choosing both.
i also don't know if i like music theory because we haven't done it at school before, and i think i'm really bad at composing pieces in music and that's 30 percent of the gcse :frown:((
Reply 7
I would advise to not pick music
Original post by olbechia
I would advise to not pick music
why?
I am in year 11, and I chose GCSE Geography. I very much enjoy it !! I think that because I like it so much, it's so easy because all the facts and terms stay in my head because I pay attention and have some sort of interest.

If you very much enjoy music, they you should 100% go for music. What you do in your GCSEs doesn't exactly matter. However I do suggest you start looking at what you want to do in college because you may need specific subjects to do a course.

In most cases, your GCSE does not have a huge impact, as long as you get the average standard of grade 5s in English Language, Maths and 3 other subjects. (unless a course asks for other gcses)

In conclusion, if you wish to do music then you should, you shouldn't pressure yourself to do a different subject, have no interests and only get a grade 4/5/6.
For geography vs history, you should maybe try see the contents of each GCSE. Maybe flick through the past papers of each and see which one draws your attention more!
with history im just gonna say that if its not gonna help you at all I wouldnt do history because its a lot of content but if its part of soemthing you wanna pursue in the future then go for it but be prepared

Quick Reply

Latest