The Student Room Group

I am in Year 10, determined to be a doctor, how many hours should I study each day?!

I've already sat 3 Science GCSE's. I'm determined to achieve my dream of being a doctor, I'm always procrastinating and I want to put a stop to that. Medicine is very competitive and difficult and I need to put in the effort, at the moment my grades are kind of average, I need to be the best. I want to restrict my biggest distraction (Internet) use to 1 hour every day.

If I'm only spending an hour on the internet each day, how many hours should I spend studying weeknights & on weekends? Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If you are achieving an average grade in your subjects, maybe you should focus on things you find difficult. Don't cram things in at the last minute before your exams and keep to a routine. Find ways of studying that you find "enjoyable" keep your goals in mind at all time and just think of where you'll be in 10 years time. About an hour or two a day should be fine if you haven't left it to the last minute but be flexible and don't ignore things you may have found difficult because it's not on your study plan that night.
I don't think there is a lot to be answered with your question as people differ. However:

- Try and get some work experience soonish which will enable showing your personal skills as well as commitment
- Choose the right A-Level subjects
- Keep focused at school

I want to be a dentist but I've drifted off the track a little due to uni rejections, so always plan a second career choice
Good luck with it all, hope it works out for you :smile:
Original post by FutureMedicalDoctor

I've already sat 3 Science GCSE's. I'm determined to achieve my dream of being a doctor, I'm always procrastinating and I want to put a stop to that. Medicine is very competitive and difficult and I need to put in the effort, at the moment my grades are kind of average, I need to be the best. I want to restrict my biggest distraction (Internet) use to 1 hour every day.

If I'm only spending an hour on the internet each day, how many hours should I spend studying weeknights & on weekends? Thanks!

I'd just spend some time reading medical books that interest you and perhaps find some medical-related work placements.
There is no need to spend however many hours studying ect. Just make sure you are a conscientious pupil- do your homework, revise for tests, get good grades. For medicine, try to get as high as possible- I hear a lot of people say to try and avoid Bs. (But of course- where do you want to study?)

HOWEVER, grades are not just the important thing yet. It's true that A level is far more important. See GCSE's as simply a stepping stone, get work experience (and try to make it as interesting as possible), do extra-curricular work and join charity clubs or simply interesting clubs in school to become an interesting pupil at med school interview. I personally would suggest really committing yourself to your GCSE's closer to date (rather than revising all the way through the year- you'll get bored and complacent).

There is nothing wrong with a little procrastination- and what's wrong with using the internet? As far as I am concerned it is my best resource for work and the like.

It's good that you are so determined. At your age I had no idea at all. Make sure to take advantage of all the time you currently have.
1. You should never sleep! Study 10 hours a day :colone:

2. Go see this thread about what to do if you wanna study medicine at uni:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1311485&stat
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6
Such a ridiculous question. This thread is nothing but a once only effort to boost your motivation. I 100% guarantee this will not work.

There isn't a formula to success...
Original post by PurpleNinja
There is no need to spend however many hours studying ect. Just make sure you are a conscientious pupil- do your homework, revise for tests, get good grades. For medicine, try to get as high as possible- I hear a lot of people say to try and avoid Bs. (But of course- where do you want to study?)

HOWEVER, grades are not just the important thing yet. It's true that A level is far more important. See GCSE's as simply a stepping stone, get work experience (and try to make it as interesting as possible), do extra-curricular work and join charity clubs or simply interesting clubs in school to become an interesting pupil at med school interview. I personally would suggest really committing yourself to your GCSE's closer to date (rather than revising all the way through the year- you'll get bored and complacent).

There is nothing wrong with a little procrastination- and what's wrong with using the internet? As far as I am concerned it is my best resource for work and the like.

It's good that you are so determined. At your age I had no idea at all. Make sure to take advantage of all the time you currently have.

This and look into this thread regarding work experience:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=568666
Reply 8
It depends on you, I know someone who got 10 A*s with little effort. But I also know someone who put in loads of work and came out with B's and C's
Reply 9
Ha i did like no work in year 10. Basically just make sure you understand everything whilst you are going through it during the year (something i definitely did not do) and check with teachers if there's anything you don't get, read up on medical stuff that interests you and maybe try and get work experience? :smile:
Original post by JakeNielen
Such a ridiculous question. This thread is nothing but a once only effort to boost your motivation. I 100% guarantee this will not work.

There isn't a formula to success...

Can't you just answer the question, reccommended hours? And thanks for your great encouragement, really helped!
Reply 11
10 hours.

Any more, you will fail. Any less, you will fail.
Reply 12

A good technique against procastinating is by doing just 5 minutes of work. Then see if you want to do more.
However many hours you personally need to get the required grades.
Studying alone won't get you an A* in every subject. It also depends on your ability to analyse and think critically, which is something cramming information into your head won't always produce, hence not everyone gets the very best grade no matter how hard they study.

I admire that you want to be a doctor, and I think all you can really do is try your best. Don't go overboard and think that studying 10 hours a day will amount to A*s across the board (or boards!...did that pun fall flat?) because you may end up overloading yourself and being unable to apply the information you have crammed into your brain. You need to find a balance.

As for the way to study, I think the best thing to do is find out how you learn best and utilise that method. Do practice papers and have people ask you questions without any material in front of you to refer to. If you can't answer, you'll know that you don't know it yet.

Finally, make sure you still enjoy your life! Trust me, you don't want to make your whole life purely about studying and academia, it's hell. Know when to study hard and when to play hard.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by im so academic
I'd just spend some time reading medical books that interest you and perhaps find some medical-related work placements.

Agree, if you are really determined you will probably get into med school anyway. If you are getting average grades, then you may need to up your game - especially during exam time since most people who you will be competing against will have all grades at A/A*, the best having the majority at the latter . I wouldn't recommend hunting for work-exp yet, maybe when you get to the end of Y11 as you may run out of hospitals to harrass :ahee: Just focus on academia for now.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 17
It's not about the quantity but the quality. you can do more in 1h of work if used intelligently than in 5h of semi-work. You're only doing your GCSEs, make sure you do your homework properly, if there's something you don't get, then spend a little more time on it, try to explore new concepts further than if you only looked at the material given by your teacher. Read about what you're interested in, be it Medicine or not, and try to pick up an unusual hobby to keep yourself busy, maybe language learning, an uncommon sport, etc. It will keep you off the Internet, and it may even come up in your interview, I remember a TSR user saying that most of his interview was actually about his reason for doing Russian at A-Level.

Try to explore different ways of learning, find out what type of learner you are (visual, auditory, kinaesthetic) and adapt your learning methods to your profile. Try to make it as fun as possible, and if your friends need help about something you do understand, teaching them will re-inforce your knowledge of the topic. Regarding staying off the Internet, if you're a Mac user, SelfControl is a really good application, unfortunately, I don't know of such a software for Windows/Linux/etc. However, there's LeechBlock that exist if you happen to use Firefox, and it will block the pages you tell it to block (but you can still use other browsers at the time…)

List your goals, and break them down into realistic and easily achievable goals that will be immediately rewarding, because "I want to do Medicine" is too far from you at the moment, whereas "learn the new trigonometry rule" will be far easier to achieve. Make lists and cross the done thing, it always makes you feel good! Some days will be more difficult than others, but don't worry, if you've got a **** day, it can only improve. Good luck!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 18
At GCSE level, you don't really have to worry about "hours of studying".
Just turn up to class, do your homework and make sure you understand everything. Go over things you're not sure about, do practice questions and tests etc The most important thing is, as I said before, is that you understand.

Maybe think about going on the internet after homework/ revision (think of it as a reward)- if you can't control yourself get your rents to take away your laptop, stopping you logging in to the family one or whatever.
I only got internet under a year ago. Before that I had excellent grades and was a lot better at keeping up with work. The internet changed all that :emo:
Original post by HighestKungFu
Studying alone won't get you an A* in every subject. It also depends on your ability to analyse and think critically, which is something cramming information into your head won't always produce, hence not everyone gets the very best grade no matter how hard they study.

I admire that you want to be a doctor, and I think all you can really do is try your best. Don't go overboard and think that studying 10 hours a day will amount to A*s across the board (or boards!...did that pun fall flat?) because you may end up overloading yourself and being unable to apply the information you have crammed into your brain. You need to find a balance.

As for the way to study, I think the best thing to do is find out how you learn best and utilise that method. Do practice papers and have people ask you questions without any material in front of you to refer to. If you can't answer, you'll know that you don't know it yet.

Finally, make sure you still enjoy your life! Trust me, you don't want to make your whole life purely about studying and academia, it's hell. Know when to study hard and when to play hard.

Thank you. I have actually noticed that one of my weaknesses in exams is not being able to think critically. An unexpected, oddly-worded question always catches me out. Does anyone know how to overcome this?

Latest