The Student Room Group

AFFORDABLE car insurance for recently passed young (17 year old male) drivers?

Hey guys, so i'm currently a learner driver. I've had around 12 hours lessons, but i have my own car so i have practice quite a lot with that. After one more lesson i will be ready to take my test, but as soon as i do the insurance quotes go from £1000 to the cheapest being about £4500.

So this is why i can't afford to pass my test now, because as soon as i do the prices are stupidly high. So what i'm asking is, does anyone know of any cheap car insurances for a full UK license? i'm a 17 year old male, and my car is a low insurance group, i don't mind whether i has to be or have a named driver, but i don't want to be restricted to like 9am-7pm driving? Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by XL-250
Hey guys, so i'm currently a learner driver. I've had around 12 hours lessons, but i have my own car so i have practice quite a lot with that. After one more lesson i will be ready to take my test, but as soon as i do the insurance quotes go from £1000 to the cheapest being about £4500.

So this is why i can't afford to pass my test now, because as soon as i do the prices are stupidly high. So what i'm asking is, does anyone know of any cheap car insurances for a full UK license? i'm a 17 year old male, and my car is a low insurance group, i don't mind whether i has to be or have a named driver, but i don't want to be restricted to like 9am-7pm driving? Thanks

When you did you quotes, did you enter your license as UK full or provisional as £1,000 seems cheap for a 17 year old male, was that with third party,fire and theft?

I am 19., have held my license for 3months, and quotes for me for third party, fire and theft on a 1.1 corsa/clio are about £500 per month, £5,000 per year!

I also don't like the idea of a box fitted in the car, it doesn't give you the freedom you want from driving.

post your REG number so i can do some checks and see what it'd cost for me:smile:
Reply 2
Original post by XL-250

Have you got any other drivers on the policy?? that should help the cost come down. Also insurance can be also affected by area you live, where the car is parked.

Though try elephant/admiral (same company), they usally do cheap insurance :smile:
wow £1000 sounds cheap!
I'll insure it for £400. Just send me your account number and sort code, and we'll set something up :smile:
Reply 5
I had my first year driving with Quinn (you are apparently terrible if you want to make a claim, but you never would because they you'd be a 17 year old male with a claim) They insured me for 585 on my provisional but couldn't beat diamond when I passed.

I have both my parents on as named drivers. They have good driving records so they brought the quote down, and they do occasionally drive the car so it's nice to know that they are insured fully comp.
Reply 6
Original post by coolperson1
When you did you quotes, did you enter your license as UK full or provisional as £1,000 seems cheap for a 17 year old male, was that with third party,fire and theft?

I am 19., have held my license for 3months, and quotes for me for third party, fire and theft on a 1.1 corsa/clio are about £500 per month, £5,000 per year!

I also don't like the idea of a box fitted in the car, it doesn't give you the freedom you want from driving.

post your REG number so i can do some checks and see what it'd cost for me:smile:

Well yeah that's not too bad, £1000 (fully comp) is with a company that only insure learner drivers. As soon as i pass they won't insure you.

But i was meaning that when i pass it's stupidly expensive.. it's a 1.1 peugeot 106.. the reg is LS03 HDF

Thanks man.
Reply 7
Original post by xsophx
Have you got any other drivers on the policy?? that should help the cost come down. Also insurance can be also affected by area you live, where the car is parked.

Though try elephant/admiral (same company), they usally do cheap insurance :smile:

Yeah i've tried adding my mum and/or dad. Both with clean licences held for >20 years and good no claims. Hmm yeah i've heard that, but i live in a quiet villiage in the suburbs of a small town :/
so it shouldn't be too high really, should it?
Reply 8
Original post by XL-250
Well yeah that's not too bad, £1000 (fully comp) is with a company that only insure learner drivers. As soon as i pass they won't insure you.

But i was meaning that when i pass it's stupidly expensive.. it's a 1.1 peugeot 106.. the reg is LS03 HDF

Thanks man.

Okay lad I have just done a quote for myself on the REG for the car you had posted me and for third party,fire and theft I'm quotes £5,000! thats with me being a 19yr old male, having held his license 3months!

What are you being quoted and are you wanting third party,fire and theft?
Reply 9
Original post by coolperson1
Okay lad I have just done a quote for myself on the REG for the car you had posted me and for third party,fire and theft I'm quotes £5,000! thats with me being a 19yr old male, having held his license 3months!

What are you being quoted and are you wanting third party,fire and theft?

Well the cheapest was around £3700.. fully comp held license 0 months, as i've i had just taken (and passed of course) my test...

I'd honestly take anything i could get! I'm not your typical young new driver, can't afford to go racing around with the price of fuel! aha.. never mind having a bump!

Thanks though..
Reply 10
Put parents on as named drivers
Increase your voluntary excess
Reduce your milage
Say your car is worth like £200
Try both TPFT and fully comp, sometimes fully comp can be the cheaper option...
Original post by FXX
Put parents on as named drivers
Increase your voluntary excess
Reduce your milage
Say your car is worth like £200
Try both TPFT and fully comp, sometimes fully comp can be the cheaper option...

good advice, but if your car is worth say £2000 instead of £1000, it doesnt make that much difference to the quote from my experiences. if you crash and you undervalue your car, that figure is what the insurer will pay out.

but the main thing in this case is to do a bit of leg work and perhaps consider buying a car which is cheaper to insure instead of the one OP currently has. it could potentially save like £500, so its worth putting up with a low insurance car for the first year or two.
Original post by XL-250

Try going with elephant, admiral, or bell. They where very cheap when i was renewed my insurance last month.
Reply 13
Don't know if it helps, but we had a "Skills for Life" session at our sixth form (3 hours off of timetable, and we have tasks or a business to set up or talks)...anyway...
We had a Police Officer in and another external guest. They suggested that going to a broker and negotiating face to face can be the best option. The Policeman said that you're better off going near the end of the month too, as they always have a big pot of discounts to give out during the month, and they often don't because people just accept the price they're given - so try an insurance broker and have a bit of a barter!
(Oh, and what they've all said, with the named drivers etc :smile:)
HTH
Reply 14
My brother found Direct Line the cheapest at 17. About £2,200 for his first year in a 1.2 Corsa. As soon as he did his pass plus, they gave him a year's no claims. Add parents as named drivers and limit your mileage.
Reply 15
Just now I got a £1300 quote on "Go Compare" for my 1.4 Skoda Fabia.
Reply 16
insure wot for 400
Original post by smudgy
insure wot for 400

Hi,
Just to let you know this thread is old so members might not be around still to reply, could be worth starting a new thread :smile:
minimum insurance for me is like 4 grand with black box and 6 grand without

i live in zone 1 london

17 year old, passed last month, has a penis.

insurance is extortion.
Reply 19
my son got a quote from tesco for £7000 he is a 17 thats with a black box

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending