The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ShaunF

Original post by ShaunF
Hi i'm looking for advice on which Halls to apply for.
It wll be my first year in Uni at Manchester (studying archaeology), and well i would like a hall with a good social life (and if possible an en-suite). I don't mind the distance from the actual university so long as it is reasonable. Oh and i really want to have that wicked "first Uni year experience" (if you know what i'm saying).

I hear Owen's Park is the best Hall socially but I highly doubt I will get a place there (knowing my luck and seeing how popular it is).

So i was wondering what people though about richmond Park or Oak House or any other suggestions.

Cheers

You'll get that elusive first year experience if you go for it, wherever you live. And if you're applying for 2011 accommodation, you'll probably have to put up with wherever, unfortunately.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
there's a chance you could still get op if thats where you want to be, i'd say richmond park is the least sociable of the three. oak house is fun but the rooms are tiny.
tbh i wouldnt worry about it too much, you'll probably end up liking where you get given, and if not, i know plenty of people that managed to change their halls once they get there, its pretty easy.
Original post by ShaunF

I hear Owen's Park is the best Hall socially but I highly doubt I will get a place there (knowing my luck and seeing how popular it is).

Errr OP is under subscribed, I lived there and most people didn't even put it as one of their choices. So if you apply, you've got a pretty high chance of getting it.
Reply 1623
can anyone tell me all they can about the Victoria Park campus, mainly Dalton Ellis and Hulme Hall?? what the atmosphere and students are like.......DESPERATELY NEED ADVICE.

Thanks.
Reply 1624
Original post by hannah191
there's a chance you could still get op if thats where you want to be, i'd say richmond park is the least sociable of the three. oak house is fun but the rooms are tiny.
tbh i wouldnt worry about it too much, you'll probably end up liking where you get given, and if not, i know plenty of people that managed to change their halls once they get there, its pretty easy.

is RP still very/fairly sociable? I got given that (first choice), thinking it was very social-able seeing as it's in FF
Reply 1625
Original post by Gowrav
is RP still very/fairly sociable? I got given that (first choice), thinking it was very social-able seeing as it's in FF

I lived in RP this year and it was very socialable. I got on very well with the people in my flat-im living with them again this year and well with most of the people in my block.

There were lots of orangised trips and nights out.

But to be honest it doesnt really matter where you are in fallowfield. Everyone is there to go out and have a good time. As long as you are quite a sociable and easy going person you would be absolutely fine in any of the fallowfield halls!
Original post by Bilgin143
I ll be in Dalton-Ellis too in MA :biggrin: .. Which block ?

not sure. they gave me my room number but it doesnt say "block" its a bunch of letters lol then a number. not sure which of the letters is the block.... the first two letters are FI
Original post by girlwithsharpteeth
Actually you can still apply for accommodation at the Uni of Manchester, even if it's your inusrance. However, you're ok to apply late if you want to, as long as it's before 31/08/11 I think. If you want info on the different accommodation you should look here: http://www.manchester.ac.uk/undergraduate/accommodation/ and here: http://www.accommodation.manchester.ac.uk/ otherwise it's a little difficult to help you if we don't know what your preferences are :wink:

If Manchester is my insurance and track updated unconditional, am I going to receive an offer for accommodation? Or do they wait until they know that I'm coming to Manchester(missing my firm therefore)?
Original post by alice1709
If Manchester is my insurance and track updated unconditional, am I going to receive an offer for accommodation? Or do they wait until they know that I'm coming to Manchester(missing my firm therefore)?

I assume they would wait but I might be wrong. If you have an unconditional you should find out about halls pretty quickly if they're going to tell you before you find out about your firm though (as in within a couple of days). If you haven't heard within a week of your offer changing to unconditional I would say they're waiting until you know about your firm.
Reply 1629
I've chosen canterbury court as my first accommodation choice, sheavyn house as second and weston as my third. However' I've kind of regretted my first choice. Anyone can say that Canterbury Court is not that boring and relieve me a bit? :biggrin:
Original post by franicle33
not sure. they gave me my room number but it doesnt say "block" its a bunch of letters lol then a number. not sure which of the letters is the block.... the first two letters are FI

FI means that you'll be in Fiddes :smile: the first number is the floor you're in and the second is your room number.
Original post by franicle33

MA : Main hall..
hiiiii...im moving to owens park in september,, i wanted to stay in oak house but they pretty much the same as PARTIES are concerned....apparently my room is T1.02.03!!! im not sure where that is haha...i hope its not single sex rooms !!!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

excited
Hey I was wondering how long it takes to receive an offer for your accommodation, my application was received/processed on the 29th June it says but still haven't heard back on any offers yet
Original post by StarboyChris
Hey I was wondering how long it takes to receive an offer for your accommodation, my application was received/processed on the 29th June it says but still haven't heard back on any offers yet

So is ur offer unconditional then or not?
Original post by *Johanna*
So is ur offer unconditional then or not?

ah no it's conditional does that mean I have to wait till my results to even get an accommodation offer?

ah no it's conditional does that mean I have to wait till my results to even get an accommodation offer?

Yep, that's how it works. There's no point in them giving you an offer of accommodation if there's a risk you're not going to be going there.
I only just applied for my accomodation........all 3 of my choices are apparently high demanded according to their website, did I just shoot myself in the foot?

Right. After my offer was made unconditional I got my accommodation offer 3 days later ....So I guess you'l just have to wait :wink:
Original post by Aemiliana
Yep, that's how it works. There's no point in them giving you an offer of accommodation if there's a risk you're not going to be going there.

Oh alrite thanks, I had just seen all these people putting up the halls they got offered I got scared lol :tongue:

Latest

Trending

Trending