The Student Room Group

Pharmacy Clearing 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by mkb230
Yeah that's exactly what I am worried about. I worked out that even if I go down the foundation route and do an extra year, I can still save £21,000 which is a lot of money in my opinion. So I am now frantically searching for alternative routes to gain entry into MPharm. What's your firm and insurance and what sort of grades are you expecting?

My firms uclan and they are asking for 3 B's. I don't really have an insurance. When I think about the exams my mind just goes blank but I'm not confident that I'll get the grades I need. Let's just hope the unis that we have applied to will be lenient. Wbu?
Reply 41
Original post by fahimak
My firms uclan and they are asking for 3 B's. I don't really have an insurance. When I think about the exams my mind just goes blank but I'm not confident that I'll get the grades I need. Let's just hope the unis that we have applied to will be lenient. Wbu?

My firm is Medway and insurance is DMU and they both want BBB but my Biology Unit 4 and 5 exams went pretty bad and I will be lucky to scrape a C. I am so confused as to what to do right now so I have just been looking at different courses but the last thing I want to do is take a gap year. I hope they're lenient but there will be a lot of people applying via clearing this year.
Reply 42
You know how some people are saying that if they don't get in to pharmacy this year and they'll apply to another course and then get transferred won't they still have to pay the 9 grand when they get transferred?
Reply 43
Original post by fahimak
You know how some people are saying that if they don't get in to pharmacy this year and they'll apply to another course and then get transferred won't they still have to pay the 9 grand when they get transferred?

I know for the foundation course you don't have to pay £9,000 because they're either integrated or you are directly transferred into second year but yes there's a possibility that you will have to pay £9,000 if you're transferring form a different course.
Reply 44
guys good luck to everyone
grade boundaries released tomorow
Reply 45
Those who are thinking of trying a different route need to consider this seriously. If you start an undergraduate course and then transfer to pharmacy, chances are you will pay the £9000 from the start of the pharmacy degree.

If you move university you will then start paying the £9000

From a Science Foundation year you need to check with the university if they are going to keep you on the old fee structure.

Advice: go back and sit A-levels again if you can and desparately want to be a pharmacist. Or wake up, smell the coffee and get on with a different degree and get on with your life.

At our institution, whilst not in clearing for pharmacy, the grades / points for the other science courses have increased to get better qualified students from science students who did not get into their first choices.

I note there was a thread slagging off failed medics and dentists taking places of pharmacy applicants. If you choose to do a science course with the thought of transferring then you are no better and are simply taking the place of someone who wants to be a scientist. So before you do this, chances are you will not transfer from another course, it is simply another last bite at the cherry for those who are still yet to come to terms with the fact they will never get onto a pharmacy degree.

Harsh i understand, but for the vast majority of applicants it is true.
So.. everyone got the offer of ABB from Wolves, why was it so high? Wolves isn't rated that great (not saying it's a bad uni as I applied) but I just don't understand it
Reply 47
Original post by hazelsaurus
So.. everyone got the offer of ABB from Wolves, why was it so high? Wolves isn't rated that great (not saying it's a bad uni as I applied) but I just don't understand it

they are in clearing this year and there entry requirements have gone down too BBB i think
some unis have high entry requirements because they need to eliminate applicants and high requirements is the way to do so
Reply 48
Original post by Admission
Those who are thinking of trying a different route need to consider this seriously. If you start an undergraduate course and then transfer to pharmacy, chances are you will pay the £9000 from the start of the pharmacy degree.

If you move university you will then start paying the £9000

From a Science Foundation year you need to check with the university if they are going to keep you on the old fee structure.

Advice: go back and sit A-levels again if you can and desparately want to be a pharmacist. Or wake up, smell the coffee and get on with a different degree and get on with your life.

At our institution, whilst not in clearing for pharmacy, the grades / points for the other science courses have increased to get better qualified students from science students who did not get into their first choices.

I note there was a thread slagging off failed medics and dentists taking places of pharmacy applicants. If you choose to do a science course with the thought of transferring then you are no better and are simply taking the place of someone who wants to be a scientist. So before you do this, chances are you will not transfer from another course, it is simply another last bite at the cherry for those who are still yet to come to terms with the fact they will never get onto a pharmacy degree.

Harsh i understand, but for the vast majority of applicants it is true.

I am only interested in transferring from a different course/uni if they transfer you directly into the 2nd year. Yes I will be paying £9,000 for the rest of my course but I won't be in as much debt due to the new tuition fees rule coming into effect from 2012. If however the universities say that you will only be allowed entry into the first year of MPharm then I will be looking at taking a gap year and re sitting a few exams. Also if you don't mind me asking, are you a Pharmacy student and where are you studying?

P.S. - Thanks for your opinion, I will think twice before making a decision come results day :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 49
Dear mkb230, i am more informed than a pharmacy student
Wow, Bradford aren't in clearing! They usually are :s Goes to show that the competition really is high this year! I would email DMU as well but that would look kinda awkward as they are my firm choice lol.
(edited 12 years ago)
I don't think DMU are in clearing as well, on their site on the Pharmacy description page it says: "Pharmacy is now closed to Home/EU applications for 2011 entry." Now all I can hope is that they've been lenient with me or that people decline the offer :/ horrible feeling now :/
Reply 52
Original post by mathsclown
I don't think DMU are in clearing as well, on their site on the Pharmacy description page it says: "Pharmacy is now closed to Home/EU applications for 2011 entry." Now all I can hope is that they've been lenient with me or that people decline the offer :/ horrible feeling now :/

i have horrible feelings too
my firm is bradford and insurance is DMU and neither of them are in clearing :frown:
Reply 53
most unis are publishing their clearing lists wednesday afternoon so hopefully more Pharmacy courses will be available to those who have narrowly missed their grades ( C4 went bad and Chem was dodgy so i dont think ive got BBB for Reading)
Original post by hahaff
i have horrible feelings too
my firm is bradford and insurance is DMU and neither of them are in clearing :frown:

I got someone to send DMU an email, they replied saying: "We don't yet know if MPharm will be in clearing." So there is some hope!

Hopefully we'll be fine, my backup is Kingston but not to keen on going there because of its ratings on the league table but hey MPharm is MPharm at the end of the day :smile:
Reply 55
I got someone to send DMU an email, they replied saying: "We don't yet know if MPharm will be in clearing." So there is some hope!

Hopefully we'll be fine, my backup is Kingston but not to keen on going there because of its ratings on the league table but hey MPharm is MPharm at the end of the day :smile:

yes there is some hope
that either means that people didnt meet their requirements or they know that alot of insurance applicants will be rejecting them oh i dont knwo what im on about now

it doesnt really matter as Mpharm is Mpharm at the end of the day :smile: i got someone to email bradford for me but havent got a reply yet
Reply 56
Original post by hilly22
most unis are publishing their clearing lists wednesday afternoon so hopefully more Pharmacy courses will be available to those who have narrowly missed their grades ( C4 went bad and Chem was dodgy so i dont think ive got BBB for Reading)

i know aqa c4 was a bad exam for me too
u say chem 5 or 2
i thought chem2 was brilliant and like a test but i have mixed feelings about chem5
was this for aqa
Possibility for UEA to go into clearing (not sure theyll lower their requirements or if I want to go that far) will be announced here:

http://www.uea.ac.uk/mac/admissions/clearing/clearingvacancies

Ive been there for an openday and its a wonderful uni but it is quite far from where I live :/
Reply 58
Possibility for UEA to go into clearing (not sure theyll lower their requirements or if I want to go that far) will be announced here:

http://www.uea.ac.uk/mac/admissions/clearing/clearingvacancies

Ive been there for an openday and its a wonderful uni but it is quite far from where I live :/

nice
if i dont get into firm /insurance then i hope to get into pharmacy through clearing
Reply 59

Let me tell you that I won't get the grades to go to DMU. That's one less place to worry about :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending