The Student Room Group

fluteflute's bumper thread of Oxford admissions statistics

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by basydney
here's a statistic I can't find. there's a lot of info on how they come up with the UMS grades from the raw scores. but I can't find this anywhere: what percentage of students get full UMS marks on an AS test. is this done by curve? any ideas on those stats? just asking, since you love stats.
The results are in...

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1835811
Hey, I know that this might a little bit TOO anal, but I'm wondering if there's a statistic for the number of UK/EU/non-EU applicants for each subject?
Reply 82
Original post by partickler
Hey, I know that this might a little bit TOO anal, but I'm wondering if there's a statistic for the number of UK/EU/non-EU applicants for each subject?
Afraid I haven't. I suppose it might be interesting for bigger subjects like PPE, but for most subjects the numbers would probably be pretty small, so you couldn't really draw any conclusions.
Original post by fluteflute
Afraid I haven't. I suppose it might be interesting for bigger subjects like PPE, but for most subjects the numbers would probably be pretty small, so you couldn't really draw any conclusions.

I think if you apply a few national stereotypes, the chances are that there are some quite significant conclusions in there.

34% of all overseas applicants are nationals of China, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Singapore and South Korea. I suspect the subject distribution of those applicants is very different from UK applicants.
Reply 84
Next stats we need - stats on how many are pooled from each subject, and where those people subsequently get(or don't get) offers. :wink:
What is Oxford pooling, when does it happen?
Original post by Captain Darling
What is Oxford pooling, when does it happen?

Pooling is when students who applied to a certain college for a course are moved to another college for the same course either because their college is oversubscribed, the other college is undersubscribed, or that college's tutor's aren't interested in the student but feel another college's tutors would be.

It happens at all stages of the application process.
Reply 87
Original post by nexttime
Next stats we need - stats on how many are pooled from each subject, and where those people subsequently get(or don't get) offers. :wink:
Very interesting suggestion!

I suspect information on how many are interviewed at second/third/etc colleges is not kept though. But I can always ask.
Reply 88

I suspect information on how many are interviewed at second/third/etc colleges is not kept though. But I can always ask.

Another idea would be to target UCAS for stats - i know the medicine forum would appreciate knowing the success rates of re-applicants relative to first time applicants. UCAS probably has data on that, right?

How does one approach doing these freedom of information requests?
Reply 89
Another idea would be to target UCAS for stats - i know the medicine forum would appreciate knowing the success rates of re-applicants relative to first time applicants. UCAS probably has data on that, right?

How does one approach doing these freedom of information requests?
There's a website that makes it particularly easy (and public) called whatdotheyknow.com :smile: But if you don't want to use the site, you can just email them (and whatdotheyknow.com can give you the email address).

Since last month UCAS has been covered by FOI. Here's one I made to UCAS (but they haven't got back to me on yet): http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/2011_admissions_cycle_statistics
Reply 90

These statistics are all very interesting! Glad I didn't see them beforehand though, they may have put me off my application to Worcester! One statistic I would be really interested to see would be the number of people applying to each college for each subject (similar to the Cambridge one posted on here for Computer Sciences). Do you think it would be possible to get these statistics?
Reply 91
There's a website that makes it particularly easy (and public) called whatdotheyknow.com :smile: But if you don't want to use the site, you can just email them (and whatdotheyknow.com can give you the email address).

Since last month UCAS has been covered by FOI. Here's one I made to UCAS (but they haven't got back to me on yet): http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/2011_admissions_cycle_statistics

that is clever, making that cheeky foi request. (Looks like they're takng their time because there is a lot of data to collect)
Reply 92
Original post by ROBBY7896
These statistics are all very interesting! Glad I didn't see them beforehand though, they may have put me off my application to Worcester! One statistic I would be really interested to see would be the number of people applying to each college for each subject (similar to the Cambridge one posted on here for Computer Sciences). Do you think it would be possible to get these statistics?
It's certainly possible (I did it for my subject). Ask them yourself if you're interested :smile:

Original post by Tobedotty
that is clever, making that cheeky foi request. (Looks like they're takng their time because there is a lot of data to collect)
Or because they're working out how to best to say "go away".
Reply 93
It's certainly possible (I did it for my subject). Ask them yourself if you're interested :smile:

Oh right, interesting. So if I just ask them for the statistics they will give them to me?
Reply 94
Oh right, interesting. So if I just ask them for the statistics they will give them to me?
Well there are various situations where they don't have to give you what you want. But they have told me similar things, so I suspect they would tell you.

This is a good place to start: http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/new/university_of_oxford

The university used to publish this information as a matter of routine. In the days before open applications, there were alarming swings in the number of applicants for each subject per college per year as applicants reacted to the published statistics and the Norrington Table.

As I am personally aware, this could result in a college having fewer applications for a subject than the number of places available.
Reply 96
Original post by nulli tertius
As I am personally aware, this could result in a college having fewer applications for a subject than the number of places available.

I'm sure this would happen all the time anyway, especially for smaller subjects. They just reassign the applications.

Having applicants not choose their college based on actual preference though, would be a waste of the system.
(edited 12 years ago)
I'm sure this would happen all the time anyway, especially for smaller subjects. They just reassign the applications.

Having applicants not choose their college based on actual preference though, would be a waste of the system.

Re-assignment of applications is a relatively new development and I am not sure who (the university or the college of application) controls the process.

The original process to achieve parity of numbers following the abolition of "trumping" in the mid 80s was the open application. I suspect that in recent years that hasn't produced enough greese to lubricate the wheels.

I appreciate the point about candidates not choosing their college based on actual preference but it is a very great temptation (back in the day, I did it) to play the numbers game if the statistics are available.
Reply 98
This is very true.
When do Oxford post admissions statistics for 2012 entry?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending