The Student Room Group

Bath or Bristol

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Irenicis
hi guys again,

i've got unconditional offers from both for L100.

was wondering are bath's accommodation located around the campus?

Congratulations!

I'm just going to wade in and add my two cents on the subject. I grew up in Bristol (largely in the area that surrounds UoB), and I have family in Bath, so I'm quite familiar with that too.

Personally, I'd opt for Bristol, because
- It's a bigger city
- Better nightlife, much of which is student-orientated.
- Far fewer tourists to clog the streets
- If you want to go and see the tourist attractions in Bath (Roman Baths, Jane Austen Centre, Royal Crescent etc.) then you can always get a bus (45mins or thereabouts) or train (15mins from Temple Meads) very easily.
- More prestigious
- More job opportunities, if you plan to work during your studies
- More options for second year housing
- And I've always found Bath picturesque but a bit boring. It's never quite managed to hold my interest for a whole day like Bristol has.
- Lots of festivals throughout the year - Harbour, [Hot Air] Balloon, Kite etc.

Then again, you might like to opt for Bath because
- Campus uni
- More emphasis on sport (not that Bristol isn't good at sport, it's just that Bath is very good).
Reply 21
Original post by Origami Bullets
Congratulations!

I'm just going to wade in and add my two cents on the subject. I grew up in Bristol (largely in the area that surrounds UoB), and I have family in Bath, so I'm quite familiar with that too.

Personally, I'd opt for Bristol, because
- It's a bigger city
- Better nightlife, much of which is student-orientated.
- Far fewer tourists to clog the streets
- If you want to go and see the tourist attractions in Bath (Roman Baths, Jane Austen Centre, Royal Crescent etc.) then you can always get a bus (45mins or thereabouts) or train (15mins from Temple Meads) very easily.
- More prestigious
- More job opportunities, if you plan to work during your studies
- More options for second year housing
- And I've always found Bath picturesque but a bit boring. It's never quite managed to hold my interest for a whole day like Bristol has.
- Lots of festivals throughout the year - Harbour, [Hot Air] Balloon, Kite etc.

Then again, you might like to opt for Bath because
- Campus uni
- More emphasis on sport (not that Bristol isn't good at sport, it's just that Bath is very good).

Hi! Thanks for the input.

I realised that the accommdations for Bristol are pretty far from the school. Is transportation to the school efficient in this aspect?

Do you have any idea about econs at Nottingham by any chance?
(edited 12 years ago)
Hi! Thanks for the input.

I realised that the accommdations for Bristol are pretty far from the school. Is transportation to the school efficient in this aspect?

There are two sets of accommodation in Bristol - Stoke Bishop (30 min walk away) and Clifton (15 min walk away).

Unfortunately, buses in both Bristol and Bath are run as a near-monopoly by First. Thus, the buses invariably either don't turn up or are late, and then you won't get any change from a fiver. For that reason, all the SB students walk down Blackboy Hill & Whiteladies Rd in large gaggles each morning. I'm sure more would cycle, but you'd have to be v. fit to get back up the hill again on a bike!

Don't let it put you off though - if you're worried, opt for Clifton halls, as it's a minimal walk across fairly flat land :wink:
hi guys again,

i've got unconditional offers from both for L100.

was wondering are bath's accommodation located around the campus?

All first years live on the campus and all accommodation is like no more than a 5/10 minute walk to anywhere else on campus. However 2nd, 3rd year etc. you have to live out. I have a family friend that is currently at Bath and she said that getting accommodation after 1st year can be a bit hectic but I think the university does help you a bit. (Current students - correct me if I'm wrong).
Reply 24
There are two sets of accommodation in Bristol - Stoke Bishop (30 min walk away) and Clifton (15 min walk away).

Unfortunately, buses in both Bristol and Bath are run as a near-monopoly by First. Thus, the buses invariably either don't turn up or are late, and then you won't get any change from a fiver. For that reason, all the SB students walk down Blackboy Hill & Whiteladies Rd in large gaggles each morning. I'm sure more would cycle, but you'd have to be v. fit to get back up the hill again on a bike!

Don't let it put you off though - if you're worried, opt for Clifton halls, as it's a minimal walk across fairly flat land :wink:

sounds really great! thanks. you studying in bristol uni too?

laughlolly, any chance of 2nd and 3rd year students living on campus as well? or do they all stay in private apartments?

laughlolly, any chance of 2nd and 3rd year students living on campus as well? or do they all stay in private apartments?

I'm not sure. If there is, it's probably only for students that require it for some special reason.

You might want to check this out:

http://www.bath.ac.uk/accommodation/index.html

No, I'm at Manchester now, but I did live in Bristol for 19 years, mostly within a mile of Bristol Uni, I went to school a couple of miles away from Bristol Uni, and at used to work opposite it. You could say that I know the area quite well :wink:

With regards to Bath's halls, I don't know specifically, but in most UK universities people want to move out into privately-rented shared houses. There won't be enough room for everyone to stay there for three years, but you might find that they let you as you're international (that said, if you want to spend three years living with Freshers then you must be mad!)
Reply 27
No, I'm at Manchester now, but I did live in Bristol for 19 years, mostly within a mile of Bristol Uni, I went to school a couple of miles away from Bristol Uni, and at used to work opposite it. You could say that I know the area quite well :wink:

With regards to Bath's halls, I don't know specifically, but in most UK universities people want to move out into privately-rented shared houses. There won't be enough room for everyone to stay there for three years, but you might find that they let you as you're international (that said, if you want to spend three years living with Freshers then you must be mad!)

how are the rents for these private houses like in bristol? cheaper than school's abode?
how are the rents for these private houses like in bristol? cheaper than school's abode?

TBH I'm not overly familiar with Bristol's student rent costs, but if you have a look at www.accommodationforstudents.com then you'll get an idea.

People only move into those sorts of houses in second / third year, once they have made friends in halls, and worked out who they want to live with in subsequent years. In my experience, although houses may appear cheaper, they're really not because you've got to allow for
- bills (gas, electricity, water, internet)
- summer rent - most landlords will make you pay rent for 52 weeks (as opposed to 40 for uni halls), although most will give a half-rent concession for 8 weeks in the summer.
Reply 29
how about between Bristol and Nottingham?

I have a friend studying there and it seems quite exciting too!
Reply 30
Original post by internetstephen
Bristol is supposed to be one of the most mathematical economics courses if that makes any difference, not sure about Bath.

I'm currently studying at Bath and it is incredibly mathematical. We have three straight maths courses in first year. Second year micro is almost entirely maths as are the econometrics modules. I have only done 3 modules where no maths is required though
Reply 31
Original post by ellejaytee
I'm currently studying at Bath and it is incredibly mathematical. We have three straight maths courses in first year. Second year micro is almost entirely maths as are the econometrics modules. I have only done 3 modules where no maths is required though

how about the life in Bath?
Reply 32
how about between Bristol and Nottingham?

I have a friend studying there and it seems quite exciting too!

They are very similar in reputation, although for economics, it seems Nottingham ranks slightly higher in the newspaper league tables (if that means anything to you...), but I wouldn't look into that too much, they are both really good universities, and having either on your degree will look good to employers.

Nottingham's campus is probably the nicest in the UK (set in 300 acres of parkland), and the facilities (Library, gym) are quite good too. As a city, it's considerably large, so a lot going on (I think it's a bit bigger than Bristol, but I'm not certain), and it's pretty much right in the middle of England, so good access to a lot of other cities (London, Manchester, Birmingham). Bristol is a city based uni, so you will be based in the centre of Bristol, but Notts is a campus based uni, and the campus is on the edge of Nottingham, but there are bus services to the city centre, and I remember being told that some are free for students.
Reply 33
how about the life in Bath?

The life is good, there are plenty of student nights in town and on campus (pretty much one every night if you want to go to them!).

Shopping for food is more expensive than it is for me at home (but only because it is monopolised by sainsburys - 6 stores and counting!)

Buses as someone has mentioned earlier are run by First and are expensive, but there is another firm that runs the uni route, Wessex Connect and they are cheaper.

Accomodation can range in price from £310-£400 a month in 2nd and final year when you have to be off campus (the uni even have to place some freshers off campus because there simply isn't enough room, but they are still in halls in town). It is a bit hectic finding accomodation (there is a rush on the day the list is released) but the list was released a while back and there are still plenty of houses available

There are plenty of societies and sports and possibilities of jobs as well.

Hopefully I have covered a lot here but let me know if you have any other questions
Reply 34

Have you been looking for graduate jobs? Any success?
Reply 35
Original post by Tateco
Have you been looking for graduate jobs? Any success?

Yup, got through to the final stages for Sky, Bank of England and the Government and have now recieved an offer from the civil service
Reply 36
Yup, got through to the final stages for Sky, Bank of England and the Government and have now recieved an offer from the civil service

Nice, well done :smile: What sort of things will you do there then?
Bath without a doubt!
Reply 38
Original post by Tateco
Nice, well done :smile: What sort of things will you do there then?

I'll be working as an assistant economist, but i haven't had much of a chance to establish exactly what role I will have. I'm visiting my department soon and will have a better idea then, but hopefully working on a lot of analysis, maybe some modelling and in general playing a part in some key decision making
Reply 39

All this is true, except now first year students receive a free bus pass for the wessex red bus which runs from the uni to stoke bishop. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending