The Student Room Group

My parents won't let me revise

I actually don't know what to do, they're driving me crazy.

I literally just wrote that sentence and my dad just asked me to help out with something, they never let me do any work and I got Cs and a D in my January exams because of that and I'm retaking all my exams so now I have 8 exams next month and I have no time to study.

I've told them I need to revise but they couldn't care less and I know I'm probably gonna end up retaking my AS year because of them.

I always feel so stressed out nowadays and they won't even let me go to the library, I swear the actually just want me to fail.

Sorry for the rant but I really don't know what to do and I know I'm not gonna get into any good Unis with Cs and Ds :/

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by HelloGoodbye

I literally just wrote that sentence and my dad just asked me to help out with something, they never let me do any work and I got Cs and a D in my January exams because of that and I'm retaking all my exams so now I have 8 exams next month and I have no time to study.

I've told them I need to revise but they couldn't care less and I know I'm probably gonna end up retaking my AS year because of them.

I always feel so stressed out nowadays and they won't even let me go to the library, I swear the actually just want me to fail.

Sorry for the rant but I really don't know what to do and I know I'm not gonna get into any good Unis with Cs and Ds :/

Go to your local library?
Reply 2
Original post by Iqbal007

Something tells me you haven't read the OP properly.
Reply 3

They seriously won't let me, they don't understand why I can't revise at home.
Reply 4

Get a lock on your room and ignore them.
Reply 5

Is it possible for you to stay an hour later every evening at college and revise there? They can't exactly drag you out of college, can they?
Reply 6
Original post by Besakt
Something tells me you haven't read the OP properly.

My bad, but you should go regardless.

If they say again why you can't..........then show them how they keep getting in the way of your education and essentially your future.
And how their actions are having an adverse effect. Even if they say they'll try, you should tell them trying isn't good enough any more.
Reply 7
Original post by Besakt
Get a lock on your room and ignore them.

Kinda difficult to ignore them when they're constantly bothering me :/
Reply 8
Kinda difficult to ignore them when they're constantly bothering me :/

I doubt they are going to stand at your door and knock constantly for a couple of hours straight they would do it for 5/10 minutes get bored and go away.
If your parents are insane and break your door down you have bigger problems to worry about.
Reply 9
Original post by Piko_Piko
Is it possible for you to stay an hour later every evening at college and revise there? They can't exactly drag you out of college, can they?

Yeah I'll start doing that but I need to do revision now during the Easter holiday and I don't have college so I can't get any work done for the next 2 weeks :/
I can't take you seriously. Your parents aren't always going to be "pass me the hammer", "fetch the milk please", "pop down to the post office will you".

You can still find time to revise no matter what they ask, you are just trying to justify your own laziness, stop cheating yourself.
Original post by Ilyas
I can't take you seriously. Your parents aren't always going to be "pass me the hammer", "fetch the milk please", "pop down to the post office will you".

You can still find time to revise no matter what they ask, you are just trying to justify your own laziness, stop cheating yourself.

hahaha
Reply 12
OP, ask your parents if they want you to fail.

I always feel so stressed out nowadays and they won't even let me go to the library,

@Iqbal007 . how big do you want him to write?
Reply 14
Original post by James A
@Iqbal007 . how big do you want him to write?

Read my second post........I suggested he should talk to them directly about how they are effecting him otherwise go library regardless of their wishes.
Reply 15
Original post by Ilyas

Although I wouldn't put it like this, he/she has a point.

Say you wake up at 9am and go to bed at 11pm, that's 14 hours you have to do what you want. Your parents can't constantly be asking you to do things for them, to go places with them, etc. Although there will be some days (probably) that you need to go out for the day with them or something similar, most of the days of your two week long Easter holiday are available for you to revise. If it's really a problem as you say it is, then you need to simply tell them. Tell them, when you are ready to revise, that you are about to revise in your room because it's important you pass your exams, the ones you had to retake. If they don't leave you alone, you need to confront them head-on.

It seems to me that your parents don't intend to stop you revising, and so I'm sure it would be fine to tell them that they are stopping you revising, and as a result, going to fail your exams. Most parents really want their children to do well, and I'm sure that if you sat them down and firmly told them that they need to let you revise, that they would allow you to do so.

Whatever you do, I wish you the best of luck in both your revision and exams.
Tell them to bugger off, it's not like you're 12.

I am sure they don't want you fail. I guess their attitude is due to ignorance.

Perhaps you could try to talk to them and explain that you really need time for yourself and for your studies.
Can't you run to the library when your parents aren't looking?, surely they aren't watching you 24/7....oh and if talking to them calmly about how much you need to revise does not change their minds..shout at them, they'll listen or no?
Reply 19

Lol your parents don't want you to excel in life -_- they should be ashamed talk it through because even if you go out on a strop you can justify yourself really well I mean c'mon it's your studies?

Latest

Trending

Trending