The Student Room Group

New documentary series - Tough Young Teachers...

So I've just seen that this new documentary will be starting next week on BBC3:

http://www.teachfirst.org.uk/news/bbc-three-documentary-‘tough-young-teachers’-air-new-year

For those of us starting a PGCE this year it will no doubt make for compulsive viewing! But I do have to wonder what type of people would want to be filmed in their first year of teaching??! Courageous, arrogant or just slightly insane?

Scroll to see replies

A trail is found on their website:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01ns9z9
Looks interesting but you can never tell what the experience is really like in those types of shows due to editing etc. will be giving it a watch anyway!
Will definitely be watching! Reality tv shows in schools seem to be really popular atm, what with educating Yorkshire, harrow: a very British school and now this...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
So....this programme is on tonight! Very much looking forward to seeing it now!
Reply 5
Just seen it...
Well, what can I say - I've got sooooo much to learn. :smile:
Reply 6
I thought they captured the naivety of teachers going into schools for the first time quite well, and the steep learning curve that they have to go through in the first few weeks of teaching!
Reply 7
God I have so much respect for Secondary teachers. There is no way I could do it!
I enjoyed it and could really emphasise with a lot of what they were feeling. When the science teacher looked shaken telling the kids to pack away and her words were all flustered, I've felt like that so many times. I also remember the honeymoon period where you think this class is going to be excellent every single week...and then by the third week they're not interested in a new teacher any more and slip into their bad habits.

Think it shows the reality well - lots of kids struggle to write more than a sentence and to spell simple words. How do we get those pupils to show progression that Ofsted would want to see? Quite simply it's near impossible at times.

Some nice moments as well where pupils do actually want to learn and work hard and I still believe the majority of pupils are respectful. There's always going to be disruptive kids and in these schools in the show in particular so it doesn't give a completely fair representation, however the school I'm placed at is in a poor social area and has lots of kids that are disruptive so lots of that show felt very familiar to me.

Personally, it's reinforced my opinion that the PGCE was the right route for me rather than Teach First or Schools Direct. I can't even imagine what It must be like to be thrown straight in, 70-80% timetable. I'm only teaching about 4-6 lessons a week at the moment and I feel that is hard enough! Although I need to be prepared for a much larger timetable for the NQT year.

Best thing about the show - 'sir, you're moist'. Never heard that one before!
Original post by bellylaugh
God I have so much respect for Secondary teachers. There is no way I could do it!

I'm with you! I doubt I could hack secondary!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by Smartypantsj
I'm with you! I doubt I could hack secondary!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Of course you could, don't be silly!:biggrin::tongue:
Quite entertaining. I thought the teachers were quite good apart from that R.E teacher. He's really insincere and I completely agree with that Kaleb kid, he's incredibly monotone and boring (I can't stand him already). I appreciated that kids honesty, but it was quite clear that the R.E. teacher couldn't handle the candid critique of his teaching. I feel for teachers though, secondary school students can be dickheads, however, a lot of them can be quite truthful too and teachers need to appreciate that, listen to them and adapt, not stick to whatever bogus teaching strategies you read about in some book.
it was a very entertaining doc. i could never teach high school kids though!
I think they are quite brave for going into a secondary school to teach straight off! Not sure I could do it! I want to do a PGCE to prepare myself!
Although I was upset at the time, I am glad that Teach First rejected me! (Not just because of this show, but for many other reasons!)
Original post by bellylaugh

Thank you. :smile:
Although that show was definitely not perfect, I think it certainly reinforces the fact that Teach First is an absolutely terrible idea. I just feel sorry for the kids who are going to suffer as a result of this government trashing the education system.
Original post by Chlorophile
Although that show was definitely not perfect, I think it certainly reinforces the fact that Teach First is an absolutely terrible idea. I just feel sorry for the kids who are going to suffer as a result of this government trashing the education system.

I worry just as much about the young staff. It seems to me in my cynical and crusty old way that it's a cheap sticking plaster idea to fill unfillable teaching posts with 'disposable' young teachers who will struggle to do any good to the kids and will suffer enormous stress.
Reply 18
Disliked how some of them commented that some kids you shouldn't bother with because they're not worth teaching. Especially in regards to Kaleb, who had been reintegrated from a PRU and was clearly not going to sit there and let him get away with a boring lesson. Also, the answer to 'what does that mean sir?' is not 'you know what that means'.
I have to admit, I spend a lot of my time watching it narrating to my partner what they were doing wrong any why. It seems I know a bit about teaching after all.
Reply 19
Best thing about the show - 'sir, you're moist'. Never heard that one before!

Ha ha...I thought the same thing. Clearly being called 'moist' is the insult du jour. So funny!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending