The Student Room Group

Smartphone App to review women like hotels released. What's your opinion?

As many of you are aware, Smartphone Apps have become increasingly intrusive in the information they both gather and share with other users without your permission.

The way in which applications crowdsource private information about individuals is an emerging issue in technology and privacy. The latest example of this is the release of "Chicklopedia", a male-only Smartphone App to that acts as a directory of women and allows men to leave anonymous reviews to be shared with everyone.

Applications like these are important to discuss because they are an indirect invasion of privacy and as yet policy does not address them. Some argue that all Applications indirectly sourcing information about individuals should be banned. Others state that they should be not be regulated or censored in any form. For this App specifically, others argue that the consequences of a male vs female App are unequal. They state that a male version of this App is significantly more degrading to women.

Personally, I think that all Apps gathering information about individuals that do not explicitly given permission to opt in should be banned. I think these new invasions of privacy should be discussed and both online distributors (Smartphone Application Stores), as well the countries which permit their trading should implement new policies to protect individuals.

What's your opinion? Should they be allowed or do you favour the banning of these Apps?

(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
This app definitely has potential to be offensive, but that does not mean it should be prohibited. This will inevitably lead to a rate and review men app as well. Dickiopedia seems to be the obvious choice.
Well isn't that lovely :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
The people who made this should be shot.

Personally, I think that all Apps gathering information about individuals that do not explicitly given permission to opt in should be banned. I think these new invasions of privacy should be discussed and both online distributors (Smartphone Application Stores), as well the countries which permit their trading should implement new policies to protect individuals.

Precisely this.

(edited 10 years ago)
Pretty much how Facebook started except you rate women only.
And the say men don't care about a woman's appearance...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Is it illegal for a male version to be made? No.
Reply 7
Original post by Eva.Gregoria

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol, don't be silly.
Original post by Joeman560
Lol, don't be silly.

How am I being silly?
Reply 9

Posted from TSR Mobile

No,no-one has ever sai that...
Reply 10
Pretty sure that ive seen apps that rate men like hotels too. Most unsurprisingly nobody complained.
Original post by Skip_Snip
No,no-one has ever sai that...

Original post by uktotalgamer
women put a lot of pressure on themselves to look good; men don't care.

Yes they have.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2579009
Lmao at you unaware people. This app was made as a RESPONSE by a few miscers to a Facebook app called Lulu in which women rated men's skills in bed. Gotta laugh at women complaining about this when in reality, they started it.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by WGR
Pretty sure that ive seen apps that rate men like hotels too. Most unsurprisingly nobody complained.

If women can find something to complain about, anything; they will.
Original post by ckingalt
This app definitely has potential to be offensive, but that does not mean it should be prohibited. This will inevitably lead to a rate and review men app as well. Dickiopedia seems to be the obvious choice.

One already exists bro.
Reply 15
Lmao at you unaware people. This app was made as a RESPONSE by a few miscers to a Facebook app called Lulu in which women rated men's skills in bed. Gotta laugh at women complaining about this when in reality, they started it.

Thank God you said this. It's funny how sexism can only work one way sometimes isn't it :P
--
I understand it's an invasion of privacy, but people need to be aware that Facebook is not exactly the best site for privacy. You plaster your entire life on there and expect it to remain private and confidential forever? Heck the only company worse in terms of privacy is probably Google.
That's disgusting. You can't do something like that without the women's permission.
Who made it or what it's in response to is irrelevant - it's an invasion of privacy, it's horrifically objectifying: this is a downright disgusting app. The alternative lulu is no better.
If women can find something to complain about, anything; they will.

It's this generalisations that really annoy me. Why are you grouping women together like we all the same?

Using that logic, could I also say if a man wants to rape a woman he probably would. Is that fair? Are all men potential rapists? No. Stop generalising women.

If I was aware of such an app, I would have wanted it down too. The existence of this app doesn't automatically make either of them ok and if I hadn't seen this thread, I wouldn't have even found out about this one. Maybe you should make a thread for the male version of the app so the rest of TSR can find out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's this generalisations that really annoy me. Why are you grouping women together like we all the same?

Using that logic, could I also say if a man wants to rape a woman he probably would. Is that fair? Are all men potential rapists? No. Stop generalising women.

If I was aware of such an app, I would have wanted it down too. The existence of this app doesn't automatically make either of them ok and if I hadn't seen this thread, I wouldn't have even found out about this one. Maybe you should make a thread for the male version of the app so the rest of TSR can find out.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No because I'm not a woman and I don't complain...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending