The Student Room Group

Martial Arts

Hey guys, I'm almost 19 atm and I really want to take up martial arts classes, which ones would you recommend Taekwondo or Tai Chi ?

Scroll to see replies

What are your goals?
I would always recommend ju jitsu I have been practicing the art for 12 years now and it is a fantastic martial art

Posted from TSR Mobile
neither, Taekwondo is 75% useless, Tai Chi 100% useless.

The useful Arts are Boxing, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Judo , Brazillian Jiu-Jitsu and Wrestling
Reply 4
Lol OP you didn't even try Google did you.

Named two martial arts that are pretty but useless.

I suggest what I used to do, Muay Thai. That's the good stuff.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HaQ_mAn_

The useful Arts are Boxing, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Judo , Brazillian Jiu-Jitsu and Wrestling

I'd do a mix. That's why MMA is so good.

For example Boxing is limited, it doesn't show you how to use and how to avoid kicks etc but paired with Wrestling it can be a great combination
Original post by Mubariz
I'd do a mix. That's why MMA is so good.

For example Boxing is limited, it doesn't show you how to use and how to avoid kicks etc but paired with Wrestling it can be a great combination

Yeah I do MMA , but i don't think it's for everyone, so i pretty much named the martial arts that make it up
It depends what you're looking for, if you're looking to be able to fight properly then I agree with the others that they are probably useless and boxing, MMA, etc. are probably what you should go for.

However if you just want to get fit and hone your skills and mind then go for either, just pick one that you think you'd enjoy! Even if you try it, don't like it, and then switch to a different one that's fine.
Reply 8
It entirely depends what you want out of it. Until we know that, no one can usefully suggest anything.

Taekwondo is FAR from useless. Apart from teaching fitness, flexibility and discipline, as an actual martial art it is highly effective. Not only does it teach you the basics of kicking and punching but it does it in a way that teaches you technique and the correct way to apply power so that you cause maximum damage to the opponent and minimal damage to yourself.
We learn self defence techniques and, of course, olympic style sparring which makes for a varied training timetable.

As my instructors so often say, taekwondo is a way of life, and honestly if you aren't 100% dedicated then yes it will be useless. But as a martial art, it has both the effectiveness and the beauty.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by superdarklord
Taekwondo is FAR from useless. Apart from teaching fitness, flexibility and discipline, as an actual martial art it is highly effective. Not only does it teach you the basics of kicking and punching but it does it in a way that teaches you technique and the correct way to apply power so that you cause maximum damage to the opponent and minimal damage to yourself.
We learn self defence techniques and, of course, olympic style sparring which makes for a varied training timetable.

As my instructors so often say, taekwondo is a way of life, and honestly if you aren't 100% dedicated then yes it will be useless. But as a martial art, it has both the effectiveness and the beauty.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I didn't say it's 100% useless.
Oh and I should mention I have 2nd Dan in it.

From experience I wouldn't say that grades are a good indication of dedication. I have a 2nd Dan in karate, but I wouldn't say its my life or that I have 100% dedication to it...

That's great, I have second dan in it too and been doing it for nine years :smile: cant you tell I love it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's great, I have second dan in it too and been doing it for nine years :smile: cant you tell I love it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I used to love it, and I still use alot of the techniques like the turning sidekick(or spinback kick) and head kicks when i spar MMA.

Have you ever sparred / fought someone else that had a boxing / kickboxing/ muay thai background with punches to the head allowed?
Original post by Toughtee
From experience I wouldn't say that grades are a good indication of dedication. I have a 2nd Dan in karate, but I wouldn't say its my life or that I have 100% dedication to it...

Yeah, some places pretty much hand out grades for turning up
Reply 15
Original post by Username1818
Hey guys, I'm almost 19 atm and I really want to take up martial arts classes, which ones would you recommend Taekwondo or Tai Chi ?

Hi,

It really depends what your goals are.

I practiced Tae-Kwon-Do for 10 years and have sparred at the world championships. So I have some bias towards TKD :biggrin:

If you are looking for self-defense, TKD in itself is fairly useless. This is primarily due to clothing restrictions in a real life self-defense situation.

Your day-to-day clothing will significantly reduce your ability to perform the primary kicks in TKD.

That being said, most instructors will also throw in a self-defense element, using much more common techniques that are not strictly TKD, but none the less very effective and not based on kicks.

If you are looking purely for self-defense, I would recommend Krav Maga, it's brutal and will get you out of most situations.

If you are looking primarily for fitness, I would say that TKD will certainly keep you fit and also provide a fair level of self defense.

In all honesty, most self defense situations can be overcome with a swift kick to the balls and a great ability to sprint! Unless you are incredibly well trained or insanely stupid, you will not take on someone with a bladed weapon or a firearm.
I used to love it, and I still use alot of the techniques like the turning sidekick(or spinback kick) and head kicks when i spar MMA.

Have you ever sparred / fought someone else that had a boxing / kickboxing/ muay thai background with punches to the head allowed?

No, but in my eyes I don't expect to fight anyone with mma I mean I'm not getting into a fight on the streets anytime soon, and in taekwondo it's a fair fight. So I guess if OP is looking for something to actually defend himself in a real life situation, fair enough, taekwondo may not be the best because it has rules. But for a taekwondo fight it works out. And generally I think the techniques are great :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
No, but in my eyes I don't expect to fight anyone with mma I mean I'm not getting into a fight on the streets anytime soon, and in taekwondo it's a fair fight. So I guess if OP is looking for something to actually defend himself in a real life situation, fair enough, taekwondo may not be the best because it has rules. But for a taekwondo fight it works out. And generally I think the techniques are great :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

dnt get me wrong tkd has beautiful techniques, its more the rules for competition that ruin it imo.
for example not being punched in the head meant my hand were terrible and i kept my chin up when fighting boxers/kickboxers.

tkd combined with boxing gives you great striking, like anthony pettis in the ufc
hey :smile: Thank you everyone for replies, I didn't even know this topic was still open, I ended up doing taekwondo and self defence
Original post by Username1818
hey :smile: Thank you everyone for replies, I didn't even know this topic was still open, I ended up doing taekwondo and self defence

lol. Watch Muay Thai vs any striking martial arts and you'll see why you chose the wrong martial art :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending