The Student Room Group

Looking for employment since 17 now 26

The butthurt is strong with this one.

Scroll to see replies

First of all, my sympathies go out to you. You're a victim of the weak and pretty much dead service based economy that is the UK. Now onto business. My advice would be to abandon the idea of chasing a dream. You're too old and not established enough to chase after a dream job. Your situation now is finding full time employment that equips you with a skill-set. Now my advice would be to consider joining the navy, the army or something similar. The work will be hard and I do mean hard but you should already realise that. Unfortunately with your particular position, you really are standing from a weak position where you simply have to take what you can take because you are quite old. However, from what I am reading on this, you never seem to have given anything a proper try, be it university or an apprenticeship. You can't blame corporations for not wanting you if you haven't really tried to set yourself on a path to a career.
Original post by angryjobseeker
Hi, I have been Googling quite rigorously due to job hunting frustrations. TSR came up with quite a lot of results and someone posted something on a thread that I had to address so I registered an account so I might as well use it.

Well I don't know if anyone has had this situation before in their life or indeed on TSR but I have been searching since I was 17 and I am now nearly 26.

In my time of searching I have had two jobs, one with a seven hour contract one with a five hour contract. The five hour contract one used to have a lot of overtime until a few months ago where I was just on my 5 hours which was 50 quid per week so I promptly told them to get ****ed if they won't increase my hours.

I didn't search for jobs when I was at uni (which was a waste of time but that is for another thread) for about 2 years and lived on the student loan and when I was working at Royal Mail for another year but apart from that I have been searching pretty much since I was 17 and I have never had a proper job.

This is a result of the economy in this day and age. I can't even leave the house without a job. If I sign on I can save up for a car or motorcycle which will at least give me something to do.

Also companies take the piss these days, I applied for the role of delivery driver at Asda and answered their stupid assessment the way they wanted (like put "agree" to the statement of "I really enjoy a good days work":wink: and still failed, now they have a vacancy for colleague that I can't even apply for. I wish I would find these fat corporate cats turning people down like this and RIP THEIR ****ING THROATS OUT.

But yeah, I just can't get a job at all, despite trawling the websites daily and tirelessly. Back when I was 18 I even tried Kleeneze and lost money. It is so unfair I am fit and willing to work but these ***** won't give me any! Blame them, not people in my position, blame the corporate *****!

You're not entitled to a job, you have to prove that you are worth the wage in terms of skills/experience and work ethic.
What did you study at uni / what grade did you receive?

What part of the country are you based in?

How have you been applying for jobs? What is your CV / cover letter like?

What are your school grades / subjects?

What are you interested in?

If you could go into a particular industry, what would you choose?

Above all remember that 26 isn't that late too be starting a career and since you have technically been in jobs then you have things to put on your CV even if they were part time.

It is a tough time to get work but as long as you go about it the right way there is no reason why you won't find it.
Reply 4
Hi, I have been Googling quite rigorously due to job hunting frustrations. TSR came up with quite a lot of results and someone posted something on a thread that I had to address so I registered an account so I might as well use it.

Well I don't know if anyone has had this situation before in their life or indeed on TSR but I have been searching since I was 17 and I am now nearly 26.

In my time of searching I have had two jobs, one with a seven hour contract one with a five hour contract. The five hour contract one used to have a lot of overtime until a few months ago where I was just on my 5 hours which was 50 quid per week so I promptly told them to get ****ed if they won't increase my hours.

I didn't search for jobs when I was at uni (which was a waste of time but that is for another thread) for about 2 years and lived on the student loan and when I was working at Royal Mail for another year but apart from that I have been searching pretty much since I was 17 and I have never had a proper job.

This is a result of the economy in this day and age. I can't even leave the house without a job. If I sign on I can save up for a car or motorcycle which will at least give me something to do.

Also companies take the piss these days, I applied for the role of delivery driver at Asda and answered their stupid assessment the way they wanted (like put "agree" to the statement of "I really enjoy a good days work") and still failed, now they have a vacancy for colleague that I can't even apply for. I wish I would find these fat corporate cats turning people down like this and RIP THEIR ****ING THROATS OUT.

But yeah, I just can't get a job at all, despite trawling the websites daily and tirelessly. Back when I was 18 I even tried Kleeneze and lost money. It is so unfair I am fit and willing to work but these ***** won't give me any! Blame them, not people in my position, blame the corporate *****!

Hello, being fit and willing to work doesn't really cut it because probably 99% of the workforce already fall in this criteria. I understand that luck plays a part in getting a job but there are always lots of variables that you can control for you to stand out. Unfortunately, if you've had little success in the past 9 years, you're probably doing something wrong on your applications / interviews, perhaps sounding too desperate is one of them - just thinking aloud here based on some of the stuff you wrote on another thread.

I won't disagree not having experience is what's holding you back, but do take the 'you lack experience' feedback with a pince of salt. That feedback can mean many things, ranging from 'you're boring', 'I hate your personality', 'ohhh I like that girl more, she's beautiful', AND FINALLY, potentially, it can mean 'other candidates had more experience than you'. In these specific instances, improving your soft skills and how you present will help. There are always things you could do to make yourself more employable, don't just spend your day applying for jobs, put some time on improving yourself too.

All the best.
I don't know what your doing wrong, my 16 yo cousin got a job in McDonalds over the summer.
I understand your frustration I also can't understand how others seem to find it incredibly easy to find employment.
I am sick and tired of having to explain to others when they think I'm not trying hard enough that no 1 gets back to me after sending in application forms.
I am not lazy I was looking for work since I was 15 years old(now 23) and I was offered a job at the age of 15 but the employer found out my age and rejected me because it's illegal to employ people under the age 15. After that I had a couple of short term jobs that only lasted a couple of weeks/months

For a full year now I haven't had a full time job,I see others going on nice holidays ,going out while I can't really afford to do those simple things.

It makes me feel really angry inside and I always try and hide my anger and frustration from others. Just thinking about it now just screw them I can always live on benefits if no one is willing to give me opportunities
Well that does sound unlikely from my experiences, I have applied for Mcdonalds several times and been turned down for it. And no I didn't give stupid answers or anything to their personality surveys. Bit of a mystery like most applications.

Exactly, I know how you feel. Back as a teenager all I thought you needed was a good work ethic and wondered how some people end up on benefits, but it turns out that you need a hell of a lot of luck. I was so naïve I used to avoid applying for too many jobs because I thought I would be inundated with interview offers and would end up wasting the time of those who I would have to turn down! How naïve I was back then.

Also another thing is, you get a job, it is most likely part time. That's why I left my Royal Mail gig after two years, because for the last few months of my employment it was just my five base hours, soul destroying going in for just five hours a week knowing you won't get any overtime.

End of the day people who complain about people on benefits are the lucky ones to have never experienced the struggles that finding a job brings. They are probably from well off families who already have connections and thus they were able to walk straight into a job. We are in a situation now where people who are in their mid 20s have only had one or two part time jobs which is ludicrous. A couple of decades ago you would have been established in a career by your mid 20s.

I was also so naive to believe that I'd walk into a job straight away. But these days it's not about what you know it's who you know. It seems like it doesn't matter how hard you work often times you have to be related to someone in an organisation to get ahead.

I also hate how people look down on others who are unemployed like they are something stuck on their shoes. The media portrays a negative image of people who are unemployed and people believe this rubbish.

I really don't want to spend years applying for jobs and not getting anywhere, if no one wants to employ me then whatever I will continue to live on benefits. I don't care what the privileged people say or what the stupid media say this time I couldn't care less, I have this I don't care attitude.

Also companies take the piss these days, I applied for the role of delivery driver at Asda and answered their stupid assessment the way they wanted (like put "agree" to the statement of "I really enjoy a good days work") and still failed, now they have a vacancy for colleague that I can't even apply for. I wish I would find these fat corporate cats turning people down like this and RIP THEIR ****ING THROATS OUT.

have you consided an aprentship yes it's not a lot of money but £175 aprox per week is not to be sinffed at
well we are in a recession so I can understand
1. How comes you quit Royal Mail? Also, Jobseekers is only £73.10 per week. Do you think you can really afford to save up for a car or a motorcycle, along with paying bills/expenses/food, etc? You've got to be realistic here.

2. Have you revised your curriculum vitae? Maybe there is something on there that needs amending or updating. Furthermore, have you also looked at your covering letters?

3. Have you considered working in places where they are quite desperate for staff? Like Care Assistant? Being a carer was my first job due to being inexperienced and it was not that bad. The pay wasn't too bad, you can build yourself up and get an NVQ.

4. Have you considered doing voluntary positions? I volunteer for Age UK, and have a job interview there. I think that went in my favour due to already being part of and have experienced the pros and cons of Age UK.

5. Online is a great way to apply for jobs, but you also need to get out there and ask in shops. I know that Domino's always advertise for drivers, and there are some places that require shop assistants, such as Shoezone.

6. You'll get there! Don't give up.
Original post by marco14196
First of all, my sympathies go out to you. You're a victim of the weak and pretty much dead service based economy that is the UK. Now onto business. My advice would be to abandon the idea of chasing a dream. You're too old and not established enough to chase after a dream job. Your situation now is finding full time employment that equips you with a skill-set. Now my advice would be to consider joining the navy, the army or something similar. The work will be hard and I do mean hard but you should already realise that. Unfortunately with your particular position, you really are standing from a weak position where you simply have to take what you can take because you are quite old. However, from what I am reading on this, you never seem to have given anything a proper try, be it university or an apprenticeship. You can't blame corporations for not wanting you if you haven't really tried to set yourself on a path to a career.

you have actually full on depressed me, enough to make me want reconsider my options.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Hey buddy, try look for jobs in unconventional places - phone up takeaways and ask if they need another delivery driver? I used to work at a takeaway and all the drivers were just part-time people at uni who rotated?

There is no harm at all in just collecting 20 phone numbers of different restaurants and takeaways - doesn't need to be a fancy one - and just spend 2 hours rattling through the list.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Treypound
you have actually full on depressed me, enough to make me want reconsider my options.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry if I did, it wasn't my intention. I'm just trying to layout to everyone the reality of the world and the truth is that the world sucks. Billions of people will never fulfil their dreams and most will die in extreme poverty. Its the reality of the beast. All we can do is make the best of it and take any opportunities you can grab
I have applied for dozens and dozens, unfortunately due to my HND I am often dismissed as being over qualified. That money would be a god send but I can't get an apprenticeship despite having been trying since leaving uni in 2012.

1. I quit Royal Mail because they refused to increase my hours. I was the only person there on a 5 hour contract and I thought it was best I quit before I lashed out at someone.

Also I don't pay rent or bills, since I have never had the chance to move out due to not having a job. My mother registered me as disabled so I get £100 a week which would help towards my savings for a vehicle.

2. I will make another thread for this since it is a fairly in depth subject.

3. Those adverts always ask for care qualifications which I don't have.

4. Yes I tried to volunteer at the library but I fell at the last hurdle for referees.

5. When I tried that in back in 2006 they always told me to apply online, I don't see why that would have changed.

Thanks for the help, I will start another thread about my CV and covering letter.

I just started this thread to highlight the situation because people often ask me what I do and where I live expecting me to be some high flying corporate worker with several years in my chosen sector but when they find out I have never found a full time job and still live at home they seem surprised, especially when they ask my age.

It helps to relieve my frustration by making this thread. I often feel like my life has been wasted as a result of this stupid economy, since I have been old enough to work it has always been like this, I have never known any different like the old people talk about. Since I was 16 most of my time has been wasted in my bedroom, alone and bored and I hate that fact but it is a fact none the less.

Use all your spare time to learn a skill and build up a portfolio of work. Could be anything from sewing to computer programming. Even if it barely brings in any money and you don't manage to make a career out of it it's something to do.

Jobs, or more rightly self-employed stuff, requiring no qualifications are still out there. There are a lot of old people needing their gardens done or their houses cleaned for example. There are a lot of computer illiterates whose machines are slow because they're either full of viruses or general crap. Charge them fifty quid to reinstall their Windows. If in a rural area there are a lot of ageing farmers whose kids have gone off to work in the big city and they need help on the farm. Then there are things like remote data entry.

Since you are being supported by your mum and a package of benefits to boot you don't need to worry massively about whether the amount of money you bring in is enough to live on. The main thing is to give yourself something to do and also get something at least vaguely substantial on your CV.
Original post by marco14196
Sorry if I did, it wasn't my intention. I'm just trying to layout to everyone the reality of the world and the truth is that the world sucks. Billions of people will never fulfil their dreams and most will die in extreme poverty. Its the reality of the beast. All we can do is make the best of it and take any opportunities you can grab

surely this is dependent on how big the dream is? im currently aged 24 abs trying to break into the IT tech industry.. I'm quite happy to settle for 25k a year..

Posted from TSR Mobile

In that case why shouldn't I just go and live on benefits? End of the day I am able and willing, if the ****heads don't want to give me a job that isn't my problem. Just don't complain if I go and live off JSA:smile:

Living off of JSA is immoral bro, where do you think that money comes from?
People work their ass off everyday just for you to steal their money and leech off of it?

Fair enough, I would take JSA if I wre in your situation, but I don't like the attitude of "oh it's fina lemme just go on the dole". It will hurt you in the long run, especially if you don't keep improving your skills/work experience.

No one can be forced to give you a job, it's on a completely voluntary basis, if the company doesn't want to hire, it doesn't.

Blame minimum wage for not being able to find a job...
Time for a real life example of the damning indictment faced by an ordinary working class man in this day and age.

I had two offers for interviews on Friday.

The first one was for a 16 hour a week gig at Halfords, asking me for a telephone interview within the next week, the week starting today.

The second was for a low level 18 hour per week night time cleaning position at Eurotunnel.

Both vacancies have miraculously been "filled" within what was presumably the last few hours of Friday's working day or the first hour or so of today.

Okay I think the Eurotunnel gig was an agency position which is more likely to have that sort of thing happen.

Halfords on the other hand wanted to give me a telephone interview this week and then somehow in the space of time between emailing me and me getting back to them the same day, interviewed someone else and found them ideal for the position:angry:

I had to delete the email from Halfords before I sent them a strongly worded email back, telling them exactly what I think of them.

So yeah, you can see how ridiculously cut throat it is these days, just from this real life example. A few years of this kind of nonsense and you have every right to be angry.

Why don't you learn a trade and go self employed? Just like the Eastern European do a brick layer makes around £1000 a week
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ToottiFruti

The UK hasn't been in recession since Q2 2009.
Original post by ToottiFruti

We've been out of recession ages.

So the good news is that you've had jobs and presumably can get a good reference from them. 26 (same age but more experience) is not too old to start a career even in retail, you can then gun for promotion.

I notice your in a small coastal town so while I don't know how your going to pay, you need to move to a county with jobs. Being unemployed you'll get housing benefit but you'd need to find a way to pay a deposit.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending