The Student Room Group

Reapplying for a place after declining an offer

My daughter wants to study veterinary medicine but knows that she wants to take a gap year first to gain more work experience.
If she applies this year for deferred entry and gets offers, she may decline them if they are not from her first choice university. If she then reapplies to the same universities and same course next year, would the universities whose offers she declined put her at a disadvantage and not consider her for a place?
no
Original post by nmcv
My daughter wants to study veterinary medicine but knows that she wants to take a gap year first to gain more work experience.
If she applies this year for deferred entry and gets offers, she may decline them if they are not from her first choice university. If she then reapplies to the same universities and same course next year, would the universities whose offers she declined put her at a disadvantage and not consider her for a place?

If she gets any offer at all she would be well advised to accept it. The odds are so far against applicants that it would be the height of folly to decline.
Reply 3
Original post by Good bloke
If she gets any offer at all she would be well advised to accept it. The odds are so far against applicants that it would be the height of folly to decline.

I agree! She may just be better off not applying this year for deferred entry and just apply next year.
Original post by nmcv
I agree! She may just be better off not applying this year for deferred entry and just apply next year.

Well, no. The sensible logic is to apply this year for deferred entry and accept whatever she gets offered (if anything), and to re-apply next year if she receives no offers (as is likely). Two bites at the cherry is better than one.
Reply 5
Original post by Good bloke
Well, no. The sensible logic is to apply this year for deferred entry and accept whatever she gets offered (if anything), and to re-apply next year if she receives no offers (as is likely). Two bites at the cherry is better than one.

Thank you for the advice, I really appreciate it.
I would add that most people learn to love the unis they are at even if it's not their 1st choice originally. Every uni has its pros and cons but all provide good standards of teaching and all provide you with the opportunity to practice as a vet!
Reply 7
Original post by SilverstarDJ
I would add that most people learn to love the unis they are at even if it's not their 1st choice originally. Every uni has its pros and cons but all provide good standards of teaching and all provide you with the opportunity to practice as a vet!

Thank you, that's really helpful.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending