The Student Room Group

Placement year with high 2.2 in first year?

Hi everyone,

I am studying engineering at Loughborough University. On my results, I narrowly missed a 2.1 (58.7).

I have been considering applying for a placement, and I was wondering if I could report my grade as an expected/on track for a 2.1, as it is seems a realistic grade expectation. Is it allowed?
(edited 7 years ago)
you can say you're expected a 2.1 but you can't say you got a 2.1 in your first year because you didn't
Original post by Summit
Hi everyone,

I am studying engineering at Loughborough University. On my results, I narrowly missed a 2.1 (58.7).

I have been considering applying for a placement, and I was wondering if I could report my grade as an expected/on track for a 2.1, as it is seems a realistic grade expectation. Is it allowed?

Are you specifically asked to predict a grade? Everyone knows that Universities do not have a mechanism for predicting grades - there are only 3 basic choices and you aren't going to pick 2.2, very few will brazen out a 1st, so 90+% of people will say 2.1 and so it's pointless.

Unless you are in your final year, with consistent grades behind you, and you've been asked - don't predict. More than anything, it undermines the credibility of what else you have put in your application.
Reply 3
Original post by threeportdrift
Are you specifically asked to predict a grade? Everyone knows that Universities do not have a mechanism for predicting grades - there are only 3 basic choices and you aren't going to pick 2.2, very few will brazen out a 1st, so 90+% of people will say 2.1 and so it's pointless.

Unless you are in your final year, with consistent grades behind you, and you've been asked - don't predict. More than anything, it undermines the credibility of what else you have put in your application.

I haven't started applying, but all placements mention they want you to have an "expected 2.1", except a couple that specify "achieved 2.1". I am currently just searching and shortlisting companies, and I am trying to understand if I qualify for those "expected 2.1" placements
Original post by Summit
I haven't started applying, but all placements mention they want you to have an "expected 2.1", except a couple that specify "achieved 2.1". I am currently just searching and shortlisting companies, and I am trying to understand if I qualify for those "expected 2.1" placements

Expect is meaningless, apply anyway. It only takes one confident dream of graduating with a 2.1 and you can say you are 'expecting' one, it's not like pregnancy where it really means something!
No. "Expected 2:1" means nothing. They will require concrete grades, so in your case, a 2:2. Also, a lot of places will automatically filter out anyone not currently on a 2:1 or above, so saying you're "expecting a 2:1" will do nothing and you will be filtered out regardless.
Original post by #ChaosKass
Also, a lot of places will automatically filter out anyone not currently on a 2:1 or above, .

Really? Who for example? I've never heard of full disclosure of module grades, end of year grade calculations and how the degree grade is calculated in an application form. That would all be required for the employer to assess the information for any meaningful purpose.
Original post by #ChaosKass
No. "Expected 2:1" means nothing. They will require concrete grades, so in your case, a 2:2. Also, a lot of places will automatically filter out anyone not currently on a 2:1 or above, so saying you're "expecting a 2:1" will do nothing and you will be filtered out regardless.

If an expected 2:1 meant nothing then graduate recruitment in the UK would be markedly different. Organisations would have to wait until students had graduated before they could recruit them for their graduate intakes. In reality tens of thousands of graduates are recruited on the basis of an expected 2:1 or above each year.

The OP does not have a grade as they have not graduated yet, so hence cannot say they have a 2:2. Hence, the OP says they are predicted a 2:1.

Original post by threeportdrift
I've never heard of full disclosure of module grades

I have occasionally came across application forms that have requested all modules taken and the grade awarded for them, but I agree it's quite rare

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending