The Student Room Group

The "Am I good enough for Investment Banking/Consultancy?" Thread

Scroll to see replies

Going into Year 2 of Economics and Management at Sussex

Failed to get a Spring Week in Year 1.
Obtained a 2:1 in my first year

A Levels: ACC

Extra Curriculars:
Student Union Trustee sitting on the Union Board of Directors, Trading Company Board of Directors and Finance and Risk Committee

Corporate Liaison Officer for the Bright Futures Society

Treasurer for the Commercial Awareness Society

Possibly joining UOTC

Do I have any hope of getting an internship ? I've kind of lost hope after failing to secure a Spring Week and also because of my A Level grades. And although Sussex is a good uni it's not even a semi target.
Original post by mrbanker2018
Going into Year 2 of Economics and Management at Sussex

Failed to get a Spring Week in Year 1.
Obtained a 2:1 in my first year

A Levels: ACC

Extra Curriculars:
Student Union Trustee sitting on the Union Board of Directors, Trading Company Board of Directors and Finance and Risk Committee

Corporate Liaison Officer for the Bright Futures Society

Treasurer for the Commercial Awareness Society

Possibly joining UOTC

Do I have any hope of getting an internship ? I've kind of lost hope after failing to secure a Spring Week and also because of my A Level grades. And although Sussex is a good uni it's not even a semi target.

Who told you sussex was a good uni? Your better off looking at back office jobs man or doing a masters at a target and going from there
Original post by natsciballer
Who told you sussex was a good uni? Your better off looking at back office jobs man or doing a masters at a target and going from there

Its consistently ranked in the top 20 and has 1 of the best employment prospects in the UK ? Don't know what your on about...
Its consistently ranked in the top 20 and has 1 of the best employment prospects in the UK ? Don't know what your on about...

Banks dont really look at your university's ranking its more about reputation. As your not from a target, let alone a semi target which you seem to acknowledge i think you sort of answered your own question. Lancaster is ranked above ucl on thecompleteuniguide rankings and how many people from lancaster are front office IB compared to ucl😂

Id also add that this shouldnt stop you trying, you never know with these things. My older bro works in ibd at a bulge alongside a guy from Loughborough
(edited 7 years ago)

Not trying to be a dick, but surely you must realise that Surrey isn't a great uni, given that you got in with a C+ average in your A Levels. Most 'good' unis require A*AA or AAA for their Economics courses, not C+.

If I were you I'd try to do a masters at a target.
Never heard of Surrey University.

Guess it makes sense.
I have two offers at Kings College London

- Mathematics & Philosophy
- Politics Philosophy & Economics

Which would be best for a chance in IB or MBB
Original post by beccabond

Neither, choose the one you want to study pls.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Whichever you have more of an interest in. They don't care about your degree.

The course doesn't matter for IB or MBB. Both courses are equally regarded.

Btw, how did you get two offers from the same university? Is that possible?
Original post by Trapz99
The course doesn't matter for IB or MBB. Both courses are equally regarded.

Btw, how did you get two offers from the same university? Is that possible?

Absolutely.

My personal statement is based around philosophy and maths and economics and I chose 5 options and 2 of which were these two.

On your UCAS you can select two courses from the same university.
Absolutely.

My personal statement is based around philosophy and maths and economics and I chose 5 options and 2 of which were these two.

On your UCAS you can select two courses from the same university.

Oh ok. I didn't know you could do that. But why didn't you apply to five universities for one subject each? What's the advantage of applying to two courses at the same university? Won't the admissions officers think your less passionate for the course if you apply to two?
Original post by Trapz99
Oh ok. I didn't know you could do that. But why didn't you apply to five universities for one subject each? What's the advantage of applying to two courses at the same university? Won't the admissions officers think your less passionate for the course if you apply to two?

Good question.

I wanted to stay in London and had a choice of only a few universities, Kings was my backup university after LSE, UCL, Imperial, the others I did one choice each for Kings I did two and they accepted me for both! I don't think there was an advantage, it was quite risky for the reasons you stated but it worked out well for me.
Hi guys,

I have a friend in the year below currently choosing unis. He hasn't got incredible grades but has got some experience ina BB bank this summer and wants to apply for S&T next year.

His first choice is Nottingham for industrial economics though he doesn't think he'll get the grades.

How well regarded are Swansea and Brunel/City university for something like economics/finance related courses. Could someone realistically make it to FO at somewhere like Swansea? Or are there simply too many better candidates at targets?

Thanks
Original post by ImTooSmart
Hi guys,

I have a friend in the year below currently choosing unis. He hasn't got incredible grades but has got some experience ina BB bank this summer and wants to apply for S&T next year.

His first choice is Nottingham for industrial economics though he doesn't think he'll get the grades.

How well regarded are Swansea and Brunel/City university for something like economics/finance related courses. Could someone realistically make it to FO at somewhere like Swansea? Or are there simply too many better candidates at targets?

Thanks

He will really struggle to break into IB from Brunel/city/Swansea... Not to say it's impossible but it's severely going to set him back, so he would need at the very least to get a 1st and be very active in the societies / extra curriculars

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ImTooSmart
Hi guys,

Thanks

Nothing is impossible, but it will be tough as the above user said - although if he misses his grades I would say he should retake a levels. If it happens again, maybe then settle for one of those but up until now it's very much in his best interest not to mess up.

And certainly, I wouldn't put one of those in my UCAS application - they tend to have lots of spots in clearing anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Nothing is impossible, but it will be tough as the above user said - although if he misses his grades I would say he should retake a levels. If it happens again, maybe then settle for one of those but up until now it's very much in his best interest not to mess up.

And certainly, I wouldn't put one of those in my UCAS application - they tend to have lots of spots in clearing anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

In regards to A-Level grades, don't most employers tend to have a 'must be done in first sitting' requirement?*
Original post by Fas
In regards to A-Level grades, don't most employers tend to have a 'must be done in first sitting' requirement?*

Not all, but yh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi All

I am entering university this October (I'm 18 - just completed A Levels), I have always been mildly interested in banking/finance but am only starting to research/read about things now. Could someone give an assessment of my profile please. Could I get onto a spring week at a bank? If not what specifically could I seek to improve.

GCSEs: 10A*s A
A Levels: A*A*A*A (Maths, Further Maths, Economics, French - A in French)
University: about to enter 1st year Mathematics at Cambridge
Extra-curricular: a large amount of probably unrelated maths extra curriculars (society's, competitions, courses etc.), Young Enterprise - financial manager for 1 year (London Finals reached)
Fluent in English, Bulgarian and advanced level in French

I plan to read books about finance, I have no work experience and cannot really gain any relevant one currently

Cheers

PS: It is evident I need to gain some work experience - what specifically should it be?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by xpdevil
Hi All

I am entering university this October (I'm 18 - just completed A Levels), I have always been mildly interested in banking/finance but am only starting to research/read about things now. Could someone give an assessment of my profile please. Could I get onto a spring week at a bank? If not what specifically could I seek to improve.

GCSEs: 10A*s A
A Levels: A*A*A*A (Maths, Further Maths, Economics, French - A in French)
University: about to enter 1st year Mathematics at Cambridge
Extra-curricular: a large amount of probably unrelated maths extra curriculars (society's, competitions, courses etc.), Young Enterprise - financial manager for 1 year (London Finals reached)
Fluent in English, Bulgarian and advanced level in French

I plan to read books about finance, I have no work experience and cannot really gain any relevant one currently

Cheers

PS: It is evident I need to gain some work experience - what specifically should it be?

You will be fine. You have a superb academic profile, and most importantly you posses a high level of enthusiasm. There are kids getting spring weeks with ABB from mediocre universities. After this you should understand that you're of high calibre.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending