The Student Room Group

Portsmouth rejection, not my fault, what should I do?

Hi,

I had an interview at Portsmouth uni for Clinical Health Science and got a rejection today. During the interview, I was not allowed to speak much and the interviewer didn't seem interested in what I had to say much. It was as if it was HER interview The other man in the room only asked me one question, and the question he had asked was one of the same questions the woman had asked before.

I have a feeling that they had already made their mind up to reject me before my interview

I am not saying the interview was brilliant, but it wasn't my fault that they weren't interested and didn't let me speak much

I want to phone them tomorrow and ask why, but what do I say?

thanks for the help !

x
Reply 1
it's not up to them to make you perform well at interview. it doesn't sound like you have much claim for a complaint.

just get over the rejection.
Reply 2
OhNO!
it's not up to them to make you perform well at interview. it doesn't sound like you have much claim for a complaint.

just get over the rejection.

I don't want to complain, After every sentence I said, the woman would talk about what I said for another minute. Then she would ask the next question which is why I don't think it was very fair.
Reply 3
priyap23
I don't want to complain, After every sentence I said, the woman would talk about what I said for another minute. Then she would ask the next question which is why I don't think it was very fair.

If you don't want to make a formal complaint about your interview, what is it you want to do?
Reply 4
OhNO!
If you don't want to make a formal complaint about your interview, what is it you want to do?

I want to ask them why they rejected me and then after they state their reasons, I want to say why I think the interview was unfair. I don't want to make formal complaints
don't bring race into it, because last thing you want is looking like a jackass.
Reply 6
priyap23
I want to ask them why they rejected me and then after they state their reasons, I want to say why I think the interview was unfair. I don't want to make formal complaints

well, that is basically making a complaint. your complaint is that the interview was unfair, which I don't think it even remotely was so if I were you, I wouldn't waste my time. Feel free to ask, though.
Reply 7
brushless-man
don't bring race into it, because last thing you want is looking like a jackass.

Yh haha even if I think that may be the case, I am not going to mention race. I doubt it's about race anyway
Reply 8
OhNO!
well, that is basically making a complaint. your complaint is that the interview was unfair, which I don't think it even remotely was so if I were you, I wouldn't waste my time. Feel free to ask, though.

ok thanks, i might just ask them why I was unsuccessful and thats all because I have another interview in February and want that one to go well at least. I wanted to hear what others had to say about it first beforehand.
priyap23
Yh haha even if I think that may be the case, I am not going to mention race. I doubt it's about race anyway

yeah, best of luck, just phone that's all you can do really.
Reply 10
priyap23
ok thanks, i might just ask them why I was unsuccessful and thats all because I have another interview in February and want that one to go well at least. I wanted to hear what others had to say about it first beforehand.

I think that's a good idea, hopefully they'll be able to give you some constructive feedback. I'd be a bit careful about making it sound like you think that they were in the wrong, that might make them less likely to give you useful feedback. best of luck with your next interview.
Reply 11
priyap23
Hi,

I had an interview at Portsmouth uni for Clinical Health Science and got a rejection today. During the interview, I was not allowed to speak much and the interviewer didn't seem interested in what I had to say much. It was as if it was HER interview The other man in the room only asked me one question, and the question he had asked was one of the same questions the woman had asked before.

I have a feeling that they had already made their mind up to reject me before my interview, maybe because I am Indian I don't know and I hope not.

I am not saying the interview was brilliant, but it wasn't my fault that they weren't interested and didn't let me speak much

thanks for the help !

x

I know this isnt your fault, but it could be that they thought you lacked communication skills. However if you were"nt given the chance to speak much, then I think the interviewer lacks listening skills!!.

Good Luck for your other interview.:smile:
Reply 12
brushless-man
yeah, best of luck, just phone that's all you can do really.

Thank you!
Reply 13
Annie72
I know this isnt your fault, but it could be that they thought you lacked communication skills. However if you were"nt given the chance to speak much, then I think the interviewer lacks listening skills!!.

Good Luck for your other interview.:smile:

thanks, yh I cant change what happened
Reply 14
OhNO!
I think that's a good idea, hopefully they'll be able to give you some constructive feedback. I'd be a bit careful about making it sound like you think that they were in the wrong, that might make them less likely to give you useful feedback. best of luck with your next interview.

Thanks for your help, and thank you
Reply 15
brushless-man

This.
Reply 16
priyap23
Hi,

I have a feeling that they had already made their mind up to reject me before my interview, maybe because I am Indian I don't know and I hope not.

thanks for the help !

x

Yeah, I'd lose the victim mentality and stop playing the race card. Admissions personnel do not reject people based on their ethnicity.
Reply 17
Notker
Yeah, I'd lose the victim mentality and stop playing the race card. Admissions personnel do not reject people based on their ethnicity.

I have got that out of my head now thanks haha

Latest