The Student Room Group

Put in wrong graduation date when applying for placements?

I am a second year undergrad at uni and I have been applying to many industrial placement opportunities in the finance/business sector.

During the application process for many of these, I inputted my graduation year if I did not do the year at a placement, instead of the year after, i.e. I will graduate in 2026 with a year in a placement but I have been putting 2025 as my graduation year.

I have been rejected by all firms that I have applied to (~15), and I am starting to fear that maybe it was due to the fact that I put in the wrong graduation year.

I understand that for the vast majority of applicants, rejections are part of the process, but I just want to hear from other placement applicants and want to make sure if my mistakes in the application process could have been at fault.

Also, should I say that my graduation year is 2026 or 2025 for future applications?
Reply 1
I was applying to placements this year and always put 2026. Also put 2026 on your CV.
Original post by ma37g
I am a second year undergrad at uni and I have been applying to many industrial placement opportunities in the finance/business sector.

During the application process for many of these, I inputted my graduation year if I did not do the year at a placement, instead of the year after, i.e. I will graduate in 2026 with a year in a placement but I have been putting 2025 as my graduation year.

I have been rejected by all firms that I have applied to (~15), and I am starting to fear that maybe it was due to the fact that I put in the wrong graduation year.

I understand that for the vast majority of applicants, rejections are part of the process, but I just want to hear from other placement applicants and want to make sure if my mistakes in the application process could have been at fault.

Also, should I say that my graduation year is 2026 or 2025 for future applications?

Yes, that's almost certainly the reason, unless the rest of your application was very weak. Go back to as many companies as you can and ask them specifically if that was the reason for rejection and explain that you will graduate in 2026 if you do a placement year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending