The Student Room Group

Anyone studying biological and biomedical sciences at Liverpool? Or Vet Reapplicants?

Having applied to Veterinary Science and still awaiting to hear from one uni, i put Biological and Biomedical Sciences at Liverpool down as an insurance choice. Ive had a conditonal offer of ABB, and just wondering if anyone can tell me what the course is like and what liverpool university is like in general? As im completely undecided on whether to take this course and then apply as a graduate to study veterinary science (but then theres cost issues!) or to take a gap year gaining experience and then reapply. Has anyone else done this? Or know if its possible to transfer courses. HELP is needed!! :eek3:
Reply 1
Hi,
I'm in my last year at Liverpool Uni at the moment. I went into 'Biological and Medical' Sciences, which is basically an umbrella course as it allows you to delay which area of biology you would like to go into until the end of 1st year really. For example, having took modules in most biological disciplines eg. microbiology, genetics, cell biology, physiology etc etc in 1st and 2nd year, I chose microbiology as my honours degree. The degree is exactly the same as if I would have done straight micrbiology all the way through. It's a really interesting course and allows you to experience a range of biology modules in the first couple of years, so you can graduate in something you are definately interested in.

In regards to transferring over to vetrerinary science I'm really not sure but I know a lot of the modules are really similar and everyone is more or less together for the 1st year anyway so it might be a possibily, but you should email the school to find out as I'm not sure...

The biology school is really good, the staff have always been really friendy and helpful in my experience...

The University is great in general, plenty of stuff going on in the guild and tonnes of societies and stuff to join.

Hope I've been some help :smile:
Reply 2
m_123
Hi,
I'm in my last year at Liverpool Uni at the moment. I went into 'Biological and Medical' Sciences, which is basically an umbrella course as it allows you to delay which area of biology you would like to go into until the end of 1st year really. For example, having took modules in most biological disciplines eg. microbiology, genetics, cell biology, physiology etc etc in 1st and 2nd year, I chose microbiology as my honours degree. The degree is exactly the same as if I would have done straight micrbiology all the way through. It's a really interesting course and allows you to experience a range of biology modules in the first couple of years, so you can graduate in something you are definitely interested in.

In regards to transferring over to vetrerinary science I'm really not sure but I know a lot of the modules are really similar and everyone is more or less together for the 1st year anyway so it might be a possibily, but you should email the school to find out as I'm not sure...

The biology school is really good, the staff have always been really friendy and helpful in my experience...

The University is great in general, plenty of stuff going on in the guild and tonnes of societies and stuff to join.

Hope I've been some help :smile:

thankyou! youve helped a lot. just another few quick questions...whats the nightlife and city in general like? and do you have many career prospects after completing this deferred entry course?
Reply 3
Glad I helped :smile:
In regards to the city, I'm probably a bit biased as I'm from Liverpool :biggrin: , but the night-life is great, absolutely loads of places to go and the university really helps in freshers week and stuff with their own events to help everyone settle in and get to know eachother and stuff..
If I were you though I'd come visit for a day and check it out for yourself before committing to anything...

With the career prospects question, all I can really say is that they are the same as in any other University I reckon. With any degree there are no guarantees, but there are a range of careers biological sciences can lead into, what I will say though is, your options are very much narrowed if you get anything less than a 2.1, as most of the lab based stuff/teaching/graduate med/dent/(I presume veterinary too) etc all want at least a 2.1. The careers and employability service at the uni are really good though... here's the link for you to have a look at:

http://www.liv.ac.uk/careers/students/index.htm

Latest

Trending

Trending