The Student Room Group

What should I do?

I am really unsure about the degree option that I am about to take on. I achieved 3 A's in German, English and Sociology, plus A in As Psychology. Now I am thinking twice about the joint degree I was supposed to be doing, as I am not sure whether it would be putting me at a disadvantage when it comes to applying for work in the legal profession. I am going to be doing Law and Sociology, a four year degree, where you will basically be doing the same units as LLB's, but you will gain a BA. But will having this degree make firms/chambers see me as a weaker candidate, as perhaps they may see Sociology as a "soft subject". Would the fact that I have a joint degree on the other hand put me at an adantage?I really don't know what to do, as I also got a scholarship for 2 grand a year from my University, Warwick, and it seems a shame to miss that to take a gap year so that I can apply for full Law next year. Should I continue with this joint degree, or take a gap year for full Law?? I am confused, and I wanted to ask some Law firms, but I don't really know how to go about doing that. Do i just ring them up and ask, do you have preferences about these degree subjects and types? Sorry this is a bit long winded!
Any advice needed.
Reply 1
it depends what you want I guess. If you know you want to follow a career in practice then a straight law degree might be better. That said, I know that the graduates from the law and sociology course do well, Warwick is a good place for law, and the money is great. It may be worth ringing grad recruitment people, but they will probably just tell u to get a good degree. If you really think you can do better at another place and are unsure then it might be worth reconsidering, but I personally think you are in a good position.
Reply 2
Thanx, it is reassuring to know that Law and Sociology graduates do well. That was my main reason for being weary. Also, I know I miay seem really snobby saying this, but I thought i was selling myself short by doing this apparently "easier" course, as some of my mates put it. But although it is just a comment from people who don't really have experience or knowledge about the subject, I can't help but feeling that some recruiters may also feel this way.
So how do I get in touch with these graduate recruitement people, as it may help. Plus do you think it is worthwhile calling up firms and chambers to ask them? I really wouldn't know how to go about doing the latter, do I just call up, ask for a solicitor and then ask his advice?? First he may just be too busy, and second, is that even done?

Latest

Trending

Trending