The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

TV Licence (anyone who does law either)

Apparently if we want a tv (to watch) in our room we need separate licence... but what if we have a tv but if we can prove we are not using it to watch Tv with just play video games...

then surely if they want the money i can force them to take it to court and screw them over there cause i shouldn't have to pay a licence, if the broadcasting company doesn't pay any money to the video games manufacturers (i.e. they are in no way providing me a service)...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Just found the answer...

No I don't.

If you use a TV or any other device to receive or record TV programmes (for example, a VCR, set-top box, DVD recorder or PC with a broadcast card) - you need a TV Licence. You are required by law to have one.

ref: http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/information/students.jsp

Just dunno how to prove I haven't been watching TV without breaking the receiving bit of the TV...
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
there's an exception though, if u have a tv capable of running on internal batteries, then your parents license covers you.
Reply 3
It is their responsibility to check you have been watching TV. It isnt your responsibility to prove you havent. And, its very hard for them to prove you have in a dorm... in a house, thats considerably easier but in dorms their technology for checking TVs recieving is much worse. If they ask to enter to look at your TV (not that the Uni would let them in) you have no responsibility to let them in to check; unless they have a court order to check which they will never obtain.
Reply 4
if you completely detune any channels (i.e. no picture can be seen on any channel, at all) then remove any arials from the tv, is it no longer capable or receiving broadcasts and this would exempt you from paying the licence. a letter telling them you have done just this would also get them off your back from sending you threatening letters.
Sleep
If they ask to enter to look at your TV (not that the Uni would let them in) you have no responsibility to let them in to check; unless they have a court order to check which they will never obtain.

the uni do let them into halls unfortunately, but yeh, they need a court order to come into your room, and even then you can say no, and they have to get a police officer

detuning the tv is a good suggestion, and should cover you

they never came round to our halls anyhoo this year, just sent about 20 letters which actually annoys me more
Reply 6
do most people get a licence?
can the uni let them into your room?
Reply 7
I have a TV card for my laptop - Emailed to find if I should get a seperate license..

* Senses grey area *
Reply 8
tv cards for PCs also need their own licence (if you're that way inclined :tongue:) anything that receives a signal that's not powered by it's own batteries needs one (a laptop unplugged from the wall is the real grey area...). however, they can't detect tv signal no matter what they say, and as some has said they require a court order to enter your room, although i've heard if they can see a tv on from a window/door etc that's enough. i wouldn't bother :biggrin:

kiwi cannot be sued for this bad advice.
Firstly Uni cannot let them into your room/flat but WILL let them in the main front door.

Secondly if you so happen to open the door to the inspector you do not have to let him/her in...you can tell them to **** off like i did in my first yr bk in OP.

Thirdly they caught a few of the lads on my floor and read them their rights like the coppers do then issued them a notice to either get rid of the unit or get a license within 30 days.

So what would you rather do.....spend 100+ on a license or just wait...have a warning read to you if you do get caught and then get one for the remainder of the time your there at the reduced price?

No brainer really.
vast majority of tv sucks anyway, i'm not taking one!
Reply 11
thats why im trying to get a special tv tuner from Taiwan for my lappy.

ited be nice not to have to pay. i think as long as you can show you have a case they wont bother coming after you, ited be to much effort
Reply 12
xir_
thats why im trying to get a special tv tuner from Taiwan for my lappy.

Tell me more. what is it, a PCIMA Tv card or somthing?

- I think i plan to take a SFF PC with a TV card, but then basicaly not use it at all.

Daniel
Reply 13
no its a mini pci one, thats the reason i have to get it from taiwan :frown:, try sesrching google for it
i kept on getting warning letters all year last year, even though i didn't have a TV in my room...they never followed up on it though...

says 2 things...they have no way of 'telling' if you have a licence or not...and that they don't follow up their threats...

i wouldn't bother with a licence...
Babyshambles
i kept on getting warning letters all year last year, even though i didn't have a TV in my room...they never followed up on it though...

says 2 things...they have no way of 'telling' if you have a licence or not...and that they don't follow up their threats...

i wouldn't bother with a licence...

i enjoyed sending the letters back blank in the postage paid envelopes far too much :rolleyes: i did it with everyone in the flat's letters, all 8

they stopped putting envelopes in later in the year, wonder why
i was hoping they would come and 'bust me'...only to find no TV...

lazy gits never came though :frown:
Reply 17
xir_
no its a mini pci one, thats the reason i have to get it from taiwan :frown:, try sesrching google for it

Ah, clever.
Reply 18
Theres a good website with lots of info on@ www.tvlicensing.BIZ, very anti-license!

I'm going to Victoria Hall where we have to pay the license in the living room ourselves. I don't mind that but I'm tempted not to buy my own one as well (I ain't paying twice!). Do they really give you a chance to just buy a license if they catch you, or will they automatically come down heavy?

(I'm a law student and I still haven't got a ****ing clue! Gov't website doesn't tell you anything helpful.)
they'll give you about a billion warnings...

...then they wont follow up on those either...

what they seemed to do with my flat was just send letters to everyone that doesn't have a TV licence...whether they had a TV or not...

i wouldn't bother with a licence if i were you...

Latest

Trending

Trending