The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Good tips
In an attempt to answer this question maybe we should look at what we shouldn't do..

http://www.campusmoviefest.com/movies/11402-insane-interviews
Finally got a interview for :smile: pretty much 99% sure i will get the job, as a friend of mine works for the very same company/branch.

Being persistent is the key tbh. After 3 months of chasing this interview from this company :wink: 10-20 calls, 10 emails to over 3 branches.
When asked about strengths and weaknesses people try and make weaknesses into a strength "i'm too hard working" etc

Is this a good tip? i imagine i'd cringe at it if i was an interviewer. Would it not be best to say look these are my weaknesses, i'll work on them etc. Surely they would appreciate the honesty?
Amazed that this thread is kicking around 5 and a half years since I started it - I've been through Uni and work in recruitment now so I've switched sides - I'm the one interviewing people!
Reply 165
I’m so glad I’ve found this thread! :smile:

I have an interview for Debenhams next week and I’m so nervous! I’ve got plenty of experience and my telephone interview went good but I’m just nervous I’ll mess up as I really need this job.
I’ve been told to go to the cosmetics counter and ask for so-and-so (I’m assuming a manager) so could I be placed on cosmetics? As the woman who interviewed me did not mention where in the store it was, just that it is an 8hr sales assistant role.
Also, there is only one job going at the store at the moment, so can I expect similar group activities then an interview or just a one-to-one interview. Also, they told me to bring my passport and P45 down with me, does this look promising?
x
Reply 166
What sort of questions to ask at a retail interview.
Depends what kind retail store... if its a clothing shop,then stuff like ''whats the fashion at the moment'' but usually general questions like ''what retail experience do you have''and ''how do you deal with customers''
Reply 168
To follow up my last post I got the job! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

The questions were pretty straight forward, 'tell me about yourself', 'describe a time when you experienced great/bad customer service', 'how would you approach a customer in store' 'describe a time when teamwork was essential' 'describe a time when you dealt with a complaint'. Pretty similar things asked on the application form.

I was offered the job 4 hours after my interview and have my induction tomorrow and start on saturday on ladieswear :biggrin:.

The only advice I can give is to prepare answers, and try to avoid short ones as it makes you look nervous and lacking in experience. The woman who intereviewed me was formal but friendly and conversational and the interview itself was nothing to worry about. So to anyone going to one just be confident (even if you don't feel it pretend you are), take along your application and try to memorise answers as the customert service ones ALWAYS come up and just be yourself. :smile:
wonder if anyone will answer this in time...

I have an interview tomorrow (2.30) at bon marche and while i feel pretty prepared, looked at example questions, researched the store etc there just one thing bothering me.

If they were to ask what im planning to do after college, what would i say? surely if i tell them that im planning to go 200 miles away to university then they wont hire me? i know i wouldnt put time and effort into someone who is going to leave in 6 months but then if i lie to them then i might get a terrible, "bare-faced liar" reference...
Reply 170
Thanks for this thread. I have my first ever job interview in about an hour, to be a tour guide at a local attraction. Nervous doesn't even cut it! It's annoying that my first shot at an interview is a job I'm really keen on! But this thread has helped loads!
Original post by Kerrias
It's annoying that my first shot at an interview is a job I'm really keen on! But this thread has helped loads!

Think of it as a good thing - you can be really enthusiastic and they will be able to tell that it's genuine :wink:
Yes sometimes this question can be asked in different ways but all they want is honesty about something that you are developing that isn't a key skill required for the job of course!
Just answer it with "I have a serious problem with people asking stupid questions" and walk out the door. I'd give you the job and then fire the idiot who asked the question.
Ok my interview is Monday afternoon for a Trainee Sales Executive job with a marketing company. Yeah It all sounds very officical.

I believe its one of those companies that get offered commission for how many people the get into jobs. So there'll probably be a load of people going for the same job But Im still surprised I got offered it as I hardly have any experience. I really want to go and just give it my best shot and be prepared. Im the kind if person who gets really nervous and stressed about these kind of thing Is it necessary to really research the company in detail?
Advice? Questions they will ask?
I have a receptionist job interview coming up. Does anyone know any questions they could ask?
Original post by Leoroary
Ok my interview is Monday afternoon for a Trainee Sales Executive job with a marketing company. Yeah It all sounds very officical.

I believe its one of those companies that get offered commission for how many people the get into jobs. So there'll probably be a load of people going for the same job But Im still surprised I got offered it as I hardly have any experience. I really want to go and just give it my best shot and be prepared. Im the kind if person who gets really nervous and stressed about these kind of thing Is it necessary to really research the company in detail?
Advice? Questions they will ask?

With those commission-based jobs you earned based on the amount that you sell, so they'd generally be unlikely to set the bar that high.

I have actually seen (in a documentary) part of an interview for a sales job - they ask you how you'd deal with customers (ie. what would you do if they asked you a question that you couldn't answer) and even how you'd deal with your peers (co-workers).

For these entry-level jobs, use a lot of common sense and you'll be just fine. Stress is not your friend - keep in mind that most people in the interview room are going through exactly the same thing.
Reply 177
This is a really useful thread, thanks! They teach us about jobs at school but don't think to tell us what we might be asked in an interview -.-
Original post by HappyPear
This is a really useful thread, thanks! They teach us about jobs at school but don't think to tell us what we might be asked in an interview -.-

What they teach in most schools atm is quite limited, the truth is you can't just walk into a jobcentre and get a job out of nowhere - and that seems to be what they're still teaching these days.

Interview skills is more about what isn't said than what is said, to be honest. It's very subtle.
A good answer for "What is your biggest weakness?" is "Experience", if you're going for an interview and you haven't had a job before. (Although don't just say "experience", elaborate on it a bit! :P)
I answered that in the interview for my current job, having said things in previous interviews like "I'm a perfectionist" and "Organisation skills".

Latest

Trending

Trending