The Student Room Group

Working at Next

Scroll to see replies

Original post by destined1
did all the people who had interviews get called about it and was it b4 or after the closing date of the vacancy

I sent in a CV and covering letter on the off-chance, so moi can't help with that :wink:
Reply 161
I got a counselling slip today, for leaving front service -_-
When I actually left due to swapping over with someone else. Annoying.
Original post by Doofy
I got a counselling slip today, for leaving front service -_-
When I actually left due to swapping over with someone else. Annoying.

Pfft let's not put a damper on those who are applying, but the unfairness of that was if you leave the post the supervisor says you should have waiting til s/he told you to, and if you waited until they did tell you, they'd told you off for not just going and wasting time -.-
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 163
Original post by Skip_Snip
Pfft let's not put a damper on those who are applying, but the unfairness of that was if you leave the post the supervisor says you should have waiting til s/he told you to, and if you waited they'd told you off for not just going -.-

This thread is for people working there, not just people applying.

And no. I was due to swap with someone and they were late, so I went to check who was meant to be on. Actually.
Original post by Doofy
This thread is for people working there, not just people applying.

And no. I was due to swap with someone and they were late, so I went to check who was meant to be on. Actually.

Oh I am sorry, I'm sure the Next you work at is an amazing environment, 'actually'.
Reply 165
Oh I am sorry, I'm sure the Next you work at is an amazing environment, 'actually'.

Don't see why you're giving attitude.

Of course it isn't an amazing environment. I was merely annoyed at the counselling slip I received.

But thanks for taking the mick, nice person you are.
Original post by Doofy
Don't see why you're giving attitude.

Of course it isn't an amazing environment. I was merely annoyed at the counselling slip I received.

But thanks for taking the mick, nice person you are.

I was only giving you attitude coz your response sounded a bit pissy :P
Reply 167
I was only giving you attitude coz your response sounded a bit pissy :P

Sorry about that, it's hard to get tone across on a forum :sad:

I've only been there about 2 months see, and nobody told me how to work the phone, so the only way to check was to actually leave the post.. Then I got the slip :sad:
Reply 168
Original post by Besakt
What were the questions?

Pretty straight forward.
1) What do you think the role of [insert role] entitles
2) Why should you be offered the position
3) Scenario 1 (what you would do)
4) Scenario 2
5)What research have you done prior to getting this interview
6) I've forgot.
1. What are the best resources to keep yourself up-to-date with current fashion trends? Select your top three resources?
Fashion television programmes
Internet
Listening to the radio
Magazines
Shopping on the high street
Store catalogues/directories
Through friends and family
2. You are processing a large delivery of stock which must be completed by the end of your shift. A member of staff from the sales floor phones you to locate an item in the stockroom for a customer, would you?
Ask your manager if you can help the member of staff.
Help locate the item for the member of staff.
Suggest to the member of staff to contact another branch to locate the item.
Tell the member of staff they would need to check for the item themselves as you are busy processing the delivery.
3. Whilst taking items onto the sales floor, you are approached by a customer who is looking for help, would you?
Direct the customer to the fitting rooms where there may be a member of staff to assist them.
Explain to the customer you do not work on the sales floor and cannot help them.
Find out what the customer is looking for and take them to a sales floor member of staff, explaining to them what the customer requires.
Stop what you are doing and serve the customer.
4. To be a good member of the team, your approach to work would be?
Ask my supervisor if they would like me to do something else, if I was not busy.
To be consistently reliable and support colleagues to deliver customer service at all times.
To offer help to a busy colleague.
To take my break early if it was quiet.
5. I work best in the following environment:
A busy one, this is when I am most productive.
One where I am given my task and will complete to Company standards without constant supervision.
One where I can work through my activities at my own speed.
One where I have the opportunity to vary the work I do as I get bored easily.
6. The Stockroom Manager has recruited a new member of staff. How could you help make them feel welcome and part of the team?
Leave it to their sponsor to make the feel part of the team.
Offer to work alongside them until they learn all aspects of the job role.
Regularly check they are getting on okay, ensuring they benefit from your experience.
Tell them they would be letting the team down if they don’t work at the required pace.
7. A new manager takes over your team and suggests some changes. The manager has asked everyone for their feedback, and you don’t think some of these ideas will work very well, how would you respond?
Gather all the members of your team and confront the manager as a group with your objections.
Inform the manager you disagree with the ideas and explain your reasons why.
Say nothing.
You agree to try the new ideas and discuss your concerns after the changes have been trialled.
8. You are picking items from the stockroom to replace stock that has been sold. This is taking you a long time as the stock you are trying to locate has been put away in the wrong place, would you:
Approach the staff that are putting the items away in the wrong place, if you are aware of who this is.
Ask a colleague to help you locate the items that you cannot find.
Explain to your manager why it is taking you longer and offer to tidy the stockroom so everything is in the correct place.
Only pick the items you can find to avoid wasting time.
9. Health and Safety is especially important in a stockroom environment, how would you ensure you are complying with Health and Safety regulations?
Health and safety issues should only be dealt with by senior managers to ensure complete accuracy.
Inform my manager if I see any hazards e.g. faulty ladder.
React to Health and Safety issues if my manager tells me to do so.
Use initiative at all times to ensure a safe working environment.
10. A watch is returned by a customer because it is faulty. Later you observe a member of staff trying on the same faulty returned watch. When you approach them they say they are taking it home as it will only be destroyed and they suggest you take a returned faulty item also, what would you do?
Call the confidential Company security hotline.
Inform a manager immediately.
Point out this would be theft and advise them to put the watch back.
Say you do not wish to get involved and walk away from the situation.
Take the faulty item as it will only be getting destroyed.
Reply 170
Guys I've been offered a four hour contract; I really thought I'd messed the interview up. I have a four hour contract and my induction is on Friday. Its not the Sales Consultant I went for but a Stockroom assistant. Anyone tell me what work i'll be doing and what happens at the inductions. Also any ideas on pay for a 16 year old?
Original post by _jake_
Guys I've been offered a four hour contract; I really thought I'd messed the interview up. I have a four hour contract and my induction is on Friday. Its not the Sales Consultant I went for but a Stockroom assistant. Anyone tell me what work i'll be doing and what happens at the inductions. Also any ideas on pay for a 16 year old?

From what I remember, the actual work would be sorting out clothes from their storage rails in the stock room to be taken down, perhaps putting it into their locations in the shop, unpacking boxed delieveries and hanging the goods in the stockroom, stuff like that really :smile:

These are from observations of when I went into the stockroom to fetch things, not first hand experience, but enough to have an idea I'm sure :smile:
Original post by _jake_

I work as a replener so see the stock room people everyday i am in. You will be taking all the clothes from the tubs and stripping them- taking them out of the plastic. Then you will learn where to put the security tags on them and then hang the clothes and cube each item. You will then scan items to decide whether the clothes go straight into the stock room or to the shop floor.
If they are to stay in the stock room you will be putting them away in the correct place and you may need to put a hanger with the number of the item if it hasnt been in store already.
You will also have to answer the phone if it rings to check if there is a garment in a particular size that isnt on the shop floor and maybe take it up to the shop floor.
Also for sale you will be in charge of de-secuirty tagging and pricing-down all of the items for sale and getting it all ready on rails.
You might also get some opputunity for some replen like i do which involves going around and picking the stuff to fill empty gaps on the shop floor and then actually putting it out on the shop floor once you have picked enough.

Hope that helps :smile:
Which job is better: Stockroom assisstant or Sales Assisstant?
They're both 8hrs and both at the same shop...
those of u with jobs at next did u say u would tell the manager if u saw some1 taking items and does it happen in any of ur stores
Original post by BeccaCath94
Which job is better: Stockroom assisstant or Sales Assisstant?
They're both 8hrs and both at the same shop...

I think it really depends what you want to do. I had, had enough of serving customers and working on a till and therefore the stockroom assisstant type of job worked for me i dont have to deal with customers face on and the people in the stock room are really down to earth and you can just have fun.

However some people prefer being upstairs, a lot of people at my store seem to suggest that you are better if you are a sales assisstant due to being trusted to interact with customers...

Apply for both and see what happens?
Original post by destined1
those of u with jobs at next did u say u would tell the manager if u saw some1 taking items and does it happen in any of ur stores

Do you mean someone working at the store? You have to report anything being stolen but i am sure there is a confidential number you can ring to report things like this? Might be in your staff room posted up somewhere
Original post by nikki_louise
I think it really depends what you want to do. I had, had enough of serving customers and working on a till and therefore the stockroom assisstant type of job worked for me i dont have to deal with customers face on and the people in the stock room are really down to earth and you can just have fun.

However some people prefer being upstairs, a lot of people at my store seem to suggest that you are better if you are a sales assisstant due to being trusted to interact with customers...

Apply for both and see what happens?

Ahh yeah they are both different.....
I've never had a paid job and dont have that much confidence interacting with customers so maybe the stockroom assisstant one would be better for me :smile:
I might apply for both yeah... thanks
Original post by BeccaCath94
I am just the same!!! I am also 16 and applied for like 10 posts at next then finally got an interview but i think i failed it!!!! Ive not heard anything back after like 3 weeks so.... :/

I can't even get an interview :s-smilie: , It may be better once the GCSE results are given out.
Reply 179
I applied for a job at next and they are taking a long time to reply back to me. Is this a good or bad sign?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending