Bristol 2012 applicants !

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Hoping to go to Bristol next year! :smile:
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 181
Hello! I'm not sure whether to apply for Spanish and Russian, Spanish and Czech or just Spanish. I might apply for just Spanish, it'll make my personal statement easier to write because I'm planning on applying for Spanish and Japanese at other places (UCLan, Manchester & Sheffield). I'm also planning on applying to a couple of colleges in The Netherlands.
Original post by Doofy

Original post by Doofy
Hoping to go to Bristol next year! :smile:

Which subject, out of curiosity?
Reply 183
Original post by SebCross
Which subject, out of curiosity?

History :smile: what about you?
Seems like most people I ask are applying to Bristol :rolleyes:
Original post by Banoffeepie16

Bristol (and some other similar unis) may well be harder to get into than Oxford and Cambridge...
Original post by fluteflute
Bristol (and some other similar unis) may well be harder to get into than Oxford and Cambridge...

That's what I was thinking, I wonder how Bristol compares to Oxbridge application number-wise. :beard:
That's what I was thinking, I wonder how Bristol compares to Oxbridge application number-wise. :beard:

I know that for maths there are ~16 applications a place for Bristol and 5 or 6 apps a place for Oxford. However, you have to remember that most people with an offer from Oxford will firm it, whereas I know at Warwick a third of offer-holders firm it (and Warwick is better for maths than Bristol). So the applications:redface:ffers ratio is probably similar. :smile:

May I ask.. what are the unis included in the 'some other similar unis'? Warwick? Nottingham? How about York?
Original post by paperstars123
May I ask.. what are the unis included in the 'some other similar unis'? Warwick? Nottingham? How about York?
Based purely on "places I see lots of people applying" I'm thinking Warwick, Imperial, LSE, Edinburgh type places. I don't really know anything about Nottingham, but I don't think York comes into that category. But I am just speculating really...
Original post by anyone_can_fly
I know that for maths there are ~16 applications a place for Bristol and 5 or 6 apps a place for Oxford. However, you have to remember that most people with an offer from Oxford will firm it, whereas I know at Warwick a third of offer-holders firm it (and Warwick is better for maths than Bristol). So the applications:redface:ffers ratio is probably similar. :smile:
Yeah, at the Oxford open day yesterday the head of admissions was comparing Oxford to Edinburgh. He was basically saying that Edinburgh get about five times as many applicants for about the same number of places as Oxford do, but they Edinburgh give out about three times as many offers as they have places.
It would be fascinating to make some Freedom of Information requests regarding a) number applicants b) number offers c) number firms d) number insurances d) number of firms that end up coming e) number of insurances that end up going f) number of people who neither firmed or insuranced who end up going (e.g. clearing). I might actually do that :biggrin: Although I suspect I'd have to go to each of the universities individually. Asking UCAS would be much easier, but I don't think they are covered by the FOI act.

Edit: UCAS are going to be included in FOI from October 2011! I might actually do this...

Edit 2: looks like that was just a proposal, not sure the October thing is actually legislated on

Edit 3: there is a draft piece of legislation

Edit 4: turns out of the people that apply to Bristol, only 10% end up going there (lower than all other universities, except for LSE and Edinburgh) - source. This data doesn't tell us everything, but it does tell us something.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 190

I'm finding that too, but not for the course I'm going for (Veterinary Science) - I'm the only one in the year! Bristol do say on their website: "The University of Bristol is one of the top UK universities, with its degrees and quality of research being respected worldwide. Consequently, we attract more applications per place than any other UK university, which also means that we set high entrance requirements."

That explains it then! I know for Veterinary in 2011 they had about 1,200 apps for around 110 places!
Based purely on "places I see lots of people applying" I'm thinking Warwick, Imperial, LSE, Edinburgh type places. I don't really know anything about Nottingham, but I don't think York comes into that category. But I am just speculating really...
Yeah, at the Oxford open day yesterday the head of admissions was comparing Oxford to Edinburgh. He was basically saying that Edinburgh get about five times as many applicants for about the same number of places as Oxford do, but they Edinburgh give out about three times as many offers as they have places.
It would be fascinating to make some Freedom of Information requests regarding a) number applicants b) number offers c) number firms d) number insurances d) number of firms that end up coming e) number of insurances that end up going f) number of people who neither firmed or insuranced who end up going (e.g. clearing). I might actually do that :biggrin: Although I suspect I'd have to go to each of the universities individually. Asking UCAS would be much easier, but I don't think they are covered by the FOI act.

Edit: UCAS are going to be included in FOI from October 2011! I might actually do this...

Edit 2: looks like that was just a proposal, not sure the October thing is actually legislated on

Edit 3: there is a draft piece of legislation

Edit 4: turns out of the people that apply to Bristol, only 10% end up going there (lower than all other universities, except for LSE and Edinburgh) - source. This data doesn't tell us everything, but it does tell us something.

I was at the Oxford Open Day too, I was surprised how he admitted to Oxford seeing non-academic stuff making no difference whatsoever! Got a revision list for the PAT :tongue:!

What are you applying for?

I suppose with applications, if you're someone who got into Oxbridge, you could get into anywhere in the UK really? If you've got into Oxford, you're all the things that anybody could want: sharp, clear thinking, enthusiastic, hard working and able :smile:!
Original post by ChrisJN1994

I was at the Oxford Open Day too, I was surprised how he admitted to Oxford seeing non-academic stuff making no difference whatsoever! Got a revision list for the PAT :tongue:!

What are you applying for?

I suppose with applications, if you're someone who got into Oxbridge, you could get into anywhere in the UK really? If you've got into Oxford, you're all the things that anybody could want: sharp, clear thinking, enthusiastic, hard working and able :smile:!
Computer Science and Philosophy :smile: How about you?

You'd have thought that most people who get into Oxbridge, get into all their other choices too, but I'm pretty sure it's not always true. One obvious example of differences in what they're looking for is the extra-curriculars - some universities really care about these it seems.
Original post by -Illmatic-
X

Username: ViennaWaits
Course: Theology
Other Unis you are considering: Cambridge, Durham, KCL, Birmingham
A Level grades: A*A*A (may change to A*A*A* after remark, fingers crossed :smile: )
(edited 12 years ago)
So who else is going to the open day tomorrow?
Reply 195

I dont think I can make it :frown: Something has come up so I'm gonna leave it for now. If I do get an offer (highly unlikely :tongue: ), I'll go to the open day for that or might even go and just visit the city for the lulz...

Depends on what they're looking for - for example LSE pay a lot of attention to GCSE grades whereas Oxford don't really. I've seen a few example personal statements on here where it says what offers the person got, and there are a few that get into Oxbridge and are rejected from other places.

I am :smile: Only managed to book for the Philosophy talk, though, which is a bit of a shame since I'm coming from Manchester. Hopefully there'll be extra places or at least the stalls will be good.
Original post by dancinginrainbows
I am :smile: Only managed to book for the Philosophy talk, though, which is a bit of a shame since I'm coming from Manchester. Hopefully there'll be extra places or at least the stalls will be good.
Wooh, glad I'm not the only one. (Well I know I'm not, there's 12998 other people booked on this open day...)

So I'm booked for "Computer Science at Bristol" talk tomorrow at 11.15. However in the programme those talks are only scheduled for 9.30 and 11.45...
Reply 198
wooh, glad i'm not the only one. (well i know i'm not, there's 12998 other people booked on this open day...)

so i'm booked for "computer science at bristol" talk tomorrow at 11.15. However in the programme those talks are only scheduled for 9.30 and 11.45...

:wink:

:wink:
12,998 people other than me and dancinginrainbows... :smile:

Luckily, I found out what's going on with the CS talk on the Programme changes and new activities page.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending