The Student Room Group

Parents want another baby

(Posting anon as I know people on here)

Last week, my parents told my sister and I that they want another baby. I know we should feel happy for them, but we both hate the idea.

I love my family the way we are and I don't want it to change. I'm 19 and my sister's 14. I don't live at home, but my sister does so it'll affect her more than it'll affect me - eg. if my mum got pregnant now, my sister would have to put up with a screaming baby during her GCSE years.

There are lots of reasons why we don't want another sibling, but I won't list them here.

My parents have said that they want our support before they go ahead with it, so now we're both feeling incredibly guilty that we don't feel as though we can support them. I'd feel so bad telling them how we feel as I really don't want to upset them :frown:

They're both 39 so they've told us that this is their 'last chance'. My mum said that she's been off the Pill for a year now, just to get her body ready, so we feel even more guilty.

I really wish I could be happy about it but I just can't :frown:

Please try to convince me that it's a good idea! I like kids but hate change and love my family just the way it is!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I have an 11 year gap between me and my sister and its lovely. YOu feel like a parent appreciating all thier little quirks but without the responsibility of feeding them in the middle of the night. Plus it really livens up the house
Maybe your mum's already pregnant and is trying to break it to you gently? If that's the case, be careful what you say!
Reply 3
you have to speak to your mother about it. she will understand you and you will understand her more that people on this website
Honestly, this might sound harsh, but it's none of your business. You are an adult. Your parents are well within their rights to have another baby if they want to. I don't actually see why you have a problem with it. I'm sure your 14 year old sister can cope.
Reply 5
Perhaps they're just worried about the prospect of an empty nest so they're trying to delay the inevitable. Maybe suggest being around children in another way, like fostering etc.
Plenty of people manage to get through their education with much younger siblings. Why you making a fuss? Be happy for your parents, as you'd probably expect them to be happy for any choices you make.
There's 14 years between my mother and her big sister. My aunt says she hated it at first but then loved it because my mum was a real life doll she could play with! They're really close even now.
Reply 8
if they want go for it, i wish my mum and step dad were having a baby!

ultimately its their decision,
Stop being selfish.

Your parents want another child and it will make them happy. Be happy for them and look forward to a potential sibling.
Reply 10
If your sister does not like the baby screaming all the time, maybe she can go to someone else's house during revision? or the library/school? its only for a month anyway, rest of the time [after she finishes her exams], she can play with the baby and if it screams, it wouldn't really matter...
Reply 11
You may change your mind when the baby's actually here.

My parents had another baby when they were 40 and, when my mum told me she was pregnant, I really wasn't happy. As soon as Ellen was born, I felt such a rush of love and now I couldn't imagine life without her! :smile:
It doesn't sound like you are being very fair on your parents. At the end of the day its their decision and for whatever reason they've decided they want another child. I would understand if you had a reason for them not having a child like not being able to afford one, but the only reason you listed there is that your sister wont be able to concentrate during GCSEs. She can always use the library or wear headphones. The baby wont be crying 24/7 btw. I think you should support your parents in whatever they choose to do, especially since you are no longer at home- them having a baby can't affect you that much, can it?
Reply 13
My youngest brother was born just before I turnt 15, and I got by alright.
I think some people are being a bit harsh - the OP has said that they haven't listed all their reasons, so no-one should really judge. If my parents told me they wanted another baby, I wouldn't be very happy either.
Reply 15
Original post by OliverThomas
I think some people are being a bit harsh - the OP has said that they haven't listed all their reasons, so no-one should really judge. If my parents told me they wanted another baby, I wouldn't be very happy either.

Understand that TSR is largely made up of youths who think having babies is like having a sweet little doll.
All I am going to say is that you cannot compare the birth of an individual to a month of studies.
My step-mum's 43 and her baby's due in September. At first, I wasn't over-the-moon but now, when I look at her bump or feel the baby kicking, I think it's incredible!

They've got a 4 year-old too, so the news wasn't a huge shock but it did take some getting used to!

I think you'll feel differently once your mum has a bump - it feels more 'real' :smile:
Reply 18
Increase No. of siblings = Less amount of attention; Being an only child must be blissful.
Reply 19
You dont even live at home so you would only see the baby when you visit, and hello? Theres a library. If your sister needs to revise she can go there. Besides GCSE's are so easy and you just need a little revision to pass and get good grades. Plus, not every single baby cries all the time. Believe it or not, but there actually some quiet babies

however if the reasons your parents shouldnt have kids are because theyre abusive or alcoholics or irresponsible then thats different.

But if they dont have some shady side and you just dont want another sibling, then just suck it up, be supportive and let your parents have their kid

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending