The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Scroll to see replies

GUYS - I know you have your own fb group but this is the PROPER official one run by the student union and the SU president and sabbs. I'd join this one if I were you to keep in touch the latest and greatest from the house of Imperial.

Knock yourselves out :wink:

Imperial FRESHAAAZZZ 2012
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Original post by nikita_atikin
GUYS - I know you have your own fb group but this is the PROPER official one run by the student union and the SU president and sabbs. I'd join this one if I were you to keep in touch the latest and greatest from the house of Imperial.

Currently, none of the eleven members are applicants :L
Reply 1582
Original post by fluteflute

They're a mix of Union Sabbatical officers (Imps students who've taken a year out of their course/post-graduation to run the union and look after you full time), full-time union staff (two of them on there at present), and a couple of seniors.

Oh, and there might be one or two freshers in there at the mo. xD

But when things kick off they'll be the ones answering your queries, et al...obviously. ^^
I love how somebody awesome on this thread winded up in there [the imperial freshers group]...

That's the point... you applicants need to join that. Trust, these guys are REALLY helpful. Especially once you start firming, the questions will come in their billions right from "What's my internet usage policy" to "Is there a chocolate society in Imperial?"

Now while arianex and I are gracious human beings and will try and answer all your questions, these guys on the group know more than all of us combined. If they don't they'll refer you to the right person. TRUST. Join. Plztnxbbz.
Reply 1585
Anybody heard anything from life sciences yet, apart from acknowledgements ?
Reply 1586
That's the point... you applicants need to join that. Trust, these guys are REALLY helpful. Especially once you start firming, the questions will come in their billions right from "What's my internet usage policy" to "Is there a chocolate society in Imperial?"

Now while arianex and I are gracious human beings and will try and answer all your questions, these guys on the group know more than all of us combined. If they don't they'll refer you to the right person. TRUST. Join. Plztnxbbz.

Personally I think I'll join if/when I firm, which is a long way off for now...
Reply 1587
Original post by Arialaxe
Have either of you written your ToK essays yet?

Yeah im pretty much finished with my TOK essay. Havent started EE though. -stressed out-
Reply 1588
Offer for Maths with a Year In Europe (G104) :ahee:

isn't this group only for those who have received offers? I'm not joining obviously.
Reply 1590
My friend received an offer for Mathematics with Statistics for Finance (BSc): AAA

Are those packages for home student only? Is there any scholarship for international student?
Original post by arianex
They're a mix of Union Sabbatical officers (Imps students who've taken a year out of their course/post-graduation to run the union and look after you full time), full-time union staff (two of them on there at present), and a couple of seniors.

Oh, and there might be one or two freshers in there at the mo. xD

But when things kick off they'll be the ones answering your queries, et al...obviously. ^^

Thanks for the info :smile: Just out of curiosity... what societies/groups have you got involved in?

Original post by desy.kris
isn't this group only for those who have received offers? I'm not joining obviously.
I'll join if I get an offer and I decide to firm it :smile:
Reply 1593
Original post by Dark-Myth
I love how somebody awesome on this thread winded up in there [the imperial freshers group]...

Oh yooou :tongue: Why can't I rep you?

Not to mention the REPEAT questions...those come in bajillions. If I had a pound for every time a Q got repeated - even AFTER the FAQ document... xD

Also, gracious human beings? You flatter me. :tongue:

(AND YES, PEEPS. WE DO HAVE A CHOCOLATE SOCIETY. IT'S NOM.)

Original post by css-
Personally I think I'll join if/when I firm, which is a long way off for now...

Thanks for the info :smile: Just out of curiosity... what societies/groups have you got involved in?

I'll join if I get an offer and I decide to firm it :smile:

That's defo the smart way to go. Which, in fact, should've been what you people who are currently on the FB Applicants' Group did -- not partake in any chat groups until you've at least firmed.
Last year nikita_atikin, F.I., wheelyjoe and myself did much the same - the icebreaking over FB - except that it was all post-offer. There was another dude (Dark Alukard) who was the exception to the rule. - he'd been waiting for yonks for an interview, and waiting some more for the result...and then he got rejected. Mild awkwardness + less-chat-from-there-on after. I don't think I've spoken to him in a while now :/

Spoiler

So believe us when we say it's MUCH better to wait until you've at least FIRMED before forming/joining FB groups wrt IC. And if you do, go straight to the official/union's one FIRST at least. Kill two birds with one stone: have a reliable source of info whilst doing all the icebreaking.

But for the current (and future) offer-holders, at least you now know there's an official union group if and when you do firm. A few of us on TSR may probably end up on the same group as well as SEs (Semi-Experienced [Freshers],) seeing as the first year experience is freshest in our minds - if we have the time, that is. :3 Fingers crossed; hopefully we'll see you on there soon :biggrin:

@fluteflute - Admittedly I haven't committed myself to the kinds of societies I *should/would* have committed to based on my prior high school extracurric involvements. Reason being, the ensemble rehearsals are too soon after my lectures, and a lil' too long at the mo. ><

Next term I plan to do some ensemble music like with IC Sinfonietta and IC String Ensemble, at least -- in the meantime, though, I'm on Jazz and Rock soc's mailing list so I'm kept in the loop in potential new bands/startups, production work, etc. At the mo wheelyjoe and myself are actually working on a startup jazz (cover) band ourselves, too; along with some other peeps not from TSR.

Other than that, there's these:
-Chocsoc (self-explanatory)
-ABACUS (the Association of British And Chinese University Students) - they have great hangouts and events, which DM can testify to. The majority of the members tend to be British-born Chinese and international Chinese students -- well, that's the thinking; but we do have non-chinese in the soc - AND in the committee!
-Felix (student newspaper) - I'm one of their few freshie copy editors, I'll be writing sometime...it's a fantastic paper and we have so much copy-editor banter. :3
-MSoc (Malaysian Society) - these people actually mix with the "locals" and other nationalities, despite being an international soc. (And yes, I'm Malaysian.) We're putting up a major variety show production (MNight) which is a play interwoven with modern/traditional dances in late Feb, and it SELLS OUT every year...so I'm acting in that.
-STOIC (IC's TV station) - can't do this at the mo because rehearsals for MNight take precedence -- but I've had hands-on with news episode edits, and I've actually presented the sports section once. Interviewing kids at the Albert Memorial just made my day. :3
-Funkology - Street dance. Because ari sucks at mainstream sports. :tongue:

And I'm also an elected Council rep, so I represent the faculty of Engineering at council meetings (along with two other elected second-years and another fresher, who was my "running mate") during council meets. We actually do get discussions with the union sabbatical officers, and we vote on policy changes, etc. Pretty important stuff.
Just to put things in perspective: freshers HARDLY/almost NEVER make it on to council. But we had TWO - and we were running against enough seniors who, if we weren't voted, could've resulted in an all-senior council rep team.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1594
Original post by Johnson Ruan
Are those packages for home student only? Is there any scholarship for international student?

They are, I'm afraid. When it comes to fees and financial aid, us internationalies will pretty much get the short end of the stick. ><

Whereabouts are you from? Depending on things you *can* apply for partial international scholarships - I highly suggest taking a look at this page: http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/registry/studentfinancialsupport/ugscholarships
There are one or two international scholarships mentioned there -- I'm this year's recipient of the World Scientific Scholarship. 5k a year may not be much at chipping away at the tuition fee price; but for living costs it's a massive help. My parents only had to fund my first-month living expenses - I just got this month's stipend a few days ago.

Keep an eye out for external awards, too. Corporations do have scholarship programs in place depending on your course -- you just have to look out for them. They may be competitive...but speaking as someone who's failed at so many tuition-fee sponsorship hunts, the key is to keep trying.

Spoiler

yup, I'm doing title #1. how about you? :biggrin:

#4. My notoriously hard-boiled ToK teacher described it as "splendid". He even used an exclamation mark :biggrin:
Original post by arianex
They are, I'm afraid. When it comes to fees and financial aid, us internationalies will pretty much get the short end of the stick. ><

Whereabouts are you from? Depending on things you *can* apply for partial international scholarships - I highly suggest taking a look at this page: http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/registry/studentfinancialsupport/ugscholarships
There are one or two international scholarships mentioned there -- I'm this year's recipient of the World Scientific Scholarship. 5k a year may not be much at chipping away at the tuition fee price; but for living costs it's a massive help. My parents only had to fund my first-month living expenses - I just got this month's stipend a few days ago.

Keep an eye out for external awards, too. Corporations do have scholarship programs in place depending on your course -- you just have to look out for them. They may be competitive...but speaking as someone who's failed at so many tuition-fee sponsorship hunts, the key is to keep trying.

Spoiler

Wow, it's so risky lah. Good luck on your first year. I'm from Vietnam and don't think that I would be able to survive at Imperial without some sort of financial aid. Can we apply to those scholarships before firming?

Btw, has anyone here applied for an IET scholarship?
Original post by arianex
They are, I'm afraid. When it comes to fees and financial aid, us internationalies will pretty much get the short end of the stick. &gt;&lt;

Spoiler

Out of curiosity, where in Malaysia are you from? I lived in Penang for a while. :smile:
Original post by Hudzy
I've got my interview tomorrow for Physics with Theoretical Physics tomorrow. Is there any last minute preparation people would recommend?

When did you submit your application, I applied for the same course and haven't heard anything back yet. Apart from an acknowledgment.
Original post by arianex
x

wow you're from Malaysia? we used to be neighbours :P good luck with finding sponsors! to be fair though I know a number of good Malaysian universities offering scholarships to home students... oh and can't you work part time there? might help a little :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending