The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
I would like to take this time to say the GCSEs really mean very little.
Original post by GameGod
So, someone getting 5 GCSE grades where they really should only be recieving 3 would have a significant advantage.

GameGod, its not that they should only be receiving 3 GCSEs, they should receive 5.

I'm doing Core Science, Biology, Chemistry, Physics so thats 4 and its not unfair. Its just that last year I did Science and because I received an A* I am doing triple, so they still all count.

And it only overlaps slightly for me. I do a total 18 modules of which 2 overlap, but the exams still differ as the mix of modules in each exam changes for the subject rather than mixing the 3. Also, there are a lot more coursework elements, I mean a lot.

And there are a lot of modules that aren't covered in science. So its completely fair and not an unfair advantage.
9A*s, 3 As and a cheeky B.

In year 12 I still have no idea what I want to do, except be a happy mum on a canal boat.
Reply 183
Original post by GreenLantern1
GameGod, its not that they should only be receiving 3 GCSEs, they should receive 5.

I'm doing Core Science, Biology, Chemistry, Physics so thats 4 and its not unfair. Its just that last year I did Science and because I received an A* I am doing triple, so they still all count.

And it only overlaps slightly for me. I do a total 18 modules of which 2 overlap, but the exams still differ as the mix of modules in each exam changes for the subject rather than mixing the 3. Also, there are a lot more coursework elements, I mean a lot.

And there are a lot of modules that aren't covered in science. So its completely fair and not an unfair advantage.

So you have to learn different content for most of your modules? In that case, I suppose it's relatively reasonable for you to get 4 GCSEs, but note: we're looking at content here. It's only if the content differs across the modules (as opposed to the testing style, type of questions, length of answers, difficulty, etc.) that it is fair for you to be getting more GCSEs than those who take the standard number of science subjects (3). It's about how much and how many different materials you have to revise and understand/learn, not how many tests you have to take: if you had to learn 4 subjects worth of facts, then yes, you have earned your 4th GCSE, but if that 4th grade only required knowledge from the first 3, then essentially you're getting a 4th GCSE without learning anything additional to what the candidates learn who get 3.

Even if not, it slightly rankles that pupils have the opportunity to take the same subject with different exam boards and recieve multiple GCSEs from it. I most likely knew most material on the other boards' syllabuses anyway, so I could theoretically have got 15*4 (the one board I took for each subject, in addition to 3 more of Edexcel, AQA, OCR and Edexcel IGCSE) = 60 A*s. But that would be ridiculous ... To use a more demonstrable example, it's concievable that someone could get 12 GCSEs in science alone (3 each from each of the 4 above boards), and so, if they got all A*s, they would be equal or advantaged over most candidates who have a far wider and more all-rounded knowledge base at GCSE level.
Original post by GameGod
So you have to learn different content for most of your modules? In that case, I suppose it's relatively reasonable for you to get 4 GCSEs, but note: we're looking at content here. It's only if the content differs across the modules (as opposed to the testing style, type of questions, length of answers, difficulty, etc.) that it is fair for you to be getting more GCSEs than those who take the standard number of science subjects (3). It's about how much and how many different materials you have to revise and understand/learn, not how many tests you have to take: if you had to learn 4 subjects worth of facts, then yes, you have earned your 4th GCSE, but if that 4th grade only required knowledge from the first 3, then essentially you're getting a 4th GCSE without learning anything additional to what the candidates learn who get 3.

Even if not, it slightly rankles that pupils have the opportunity to take the same subject with different exam boards and recieve multiple GCSEs from it. I most likely knew most material on the other boards' syllabuses anyway, so I could theoretically have got 15*4 (the one board I took for each subject, in addition to 3 more of Edexcel, AQA, OCR and Edexcel IGCSE) = 60 A*s. But that would be ridiculous ... To use a more demonstrable example, it's concievable that someone could get 12 GCSEs in science alone (3 each from each of the 4 above boards), and so, if they got all A*s, they would be equal or advantaged over most candidates who have a far wider and more all-rounded knowledge base at GCSE level.

Yes, it is obviously unfair if someone is getting more than 1 GCSE of the exact same subject from different exam boards But all my science GCSEs are from the same board. To then do them all again and get like 12 more would obviously be unfair, and I'm fairly sure unallowed or wouldn't be taken into conideration whence concerning GCSE grades.
Reply 185
Original post by ninjalamb

8 A*s and 2 As! I wanna be a nurse :smile:

EDIT: negged for good results. Either that or someone hates nurses.

I'm still getting negs six months on, even though I hardly did much better than you... :')
Reply 186
15A* and 2 A's.
i also did fmaths and maths as levels in year 11 and got A's in both with a few 100%'s in some modules. revised night before for most of them tbh. YOU JELLY BRO??

EDIT: Thank you, thank you! Had it coming anyway...
(edited 12 years ago)
7 a* . 3 a . 2b
Reply 188
3a, 5b, 2c lol, no revision.
I need something to perk me up, after some awful january modules-->
In sig:
but
Eng lang A*
Biology A*
Chemistry A*
Physics A*
Re A*
Art A*
History A*
Maths A
French A
Eng Lit A
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 190
A* A* A A A A B B C D U U .. looool, could've done a lot worse I guess! :tongue:
Are these Y11 Mock results or what?
Original post by JOR2010
I'm still getting negs six months on, even though I hardly did much better than you... :')

Same haha.. I was tempted to point out that one of my A's was marked up to an A* and let tha hatas hate
12A*, A. :eek:

This was many years ago now but still.... :colone:
Reply 194
b, c, c, c, c, d, d, d, e, e, f - did ok i suppose. :smile:
Reply 195
I find it quite immature how some of the older people are/were giving these GCSEers a hard time. Regardless of when they were done, people have the right to be happy about them and be excited for higher education.

These were ages ago, but I don't want to post 'off-topic'

2010 ---> 10A* 1A (Music) , 1B (AS French)

Good luck everyone. ASs aren't too bad (although I guess you've decided that for yourself by now) :grin:
Reply 196

Same haha.. I was tempted to point out that one of my A's was marked up to an A* and let tha hatas hate

Haha, best not to announce it on TSR!
Reply 197
I got 100 A stars.
Reply 198
Original post by lotinon
I would like to take this time to say the GCSEs really mean very little.

Absolutely true, but they still make you feel good/bad, right:P
I got my IGCSE results today!

First Language English: A* (92%)
English Lit: A* (99%) :biggrin: :biggrin:
French: A* (95%)
Economics: A* (91%)
History: A* (90%)
Math: A (89%) :'(
Physics: A* (93%)
Chem: A* (94%)
Biology: A* (94%)

I'm retaking maths in May. Bleck.